Mt. Baker Vista Jun. 26/16 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

1Likes
  • 1 Post By kore

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-22-2016, 02:58 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Interest: Hiking, Snowshoeing, and Photography. Enjoying the outdoors fresh air and fitness experience.
Default Mt. Baker Vista Jun. 26/16

Hi Everyone...

Here is a trail I have not done before. This will be the primary goal, if we are not able to locate the trailhead we will do Helotrope trail to the top of Heliotrope Ridge and a bit further. Should be a fine , warm, and open sunny day.

K

Hiking is what keeps you young of mind and heart. When the going gets tough, the tough get going..............
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-22-2016, 01:47 PM
Scaling New Heights

curious, im interesed to explore abit further than heliotrope ridge as well after i visited it once before. Most people seem to stop at the little rock that sticks out. I noticed that there were some interesting glacial formations up higher, are you referring to going higher from that rock point?

i'm researching which "trail" i should take if i want to explore higher also (without going onto the actual glacier, but closer). the official trail map shows that there is only one trail if going up higher and it's the climber's route which is actually a turnoff before the heliotrope ridge viewpoints.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-22-2016, 08:51 PM
Off the Beaten Path

> i'm researching which "trail" i should take if i want to explore higher also (without going onto the actual glacier, but closer). the official trail map shows that there is only one trail if going up higher and it's the climber's route which is actually a turnoff before the heliotrope ridge viewpoints.

Yeah. You'll want to go climbers right at the fork beween the two forks of Heliotrope Creek. OpenStreetMap has a decent map of the area (http://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=16/48.7932/-121.8659). The "little rock that sticks out" is where the "Glacier Overview" viewpoint is. If you go right at that fork you end up at the Hogsback camp, which is a big pile of rocks and a bunch of tents—hard to miss.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-22-2016, 11:20 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Interest: Hiking, Snowshoeing, and Photography. Enjoying the outdoors fresh air and fitness experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geminihc View Post
curious, im interesed to explore abit further than heliotrope ridge as well after i visited it once before. Most people seem to stop at the little rock that sticks out. I noticed that there were some interesting glacial formations up higher, are you referring to going higher from that rock point?

i'm researching which "trail" i should take if i want to explore higher also (without going onto the actual glacier, but closer). the official trail map shows that there is only one trail if going up higher and it's the climber's route which is actually a turnoff before the heliotrope ridge viewpoints.

That is correct. Last visit in April took us up a further 650 meters elevation gain beyond that fork in the trial, taking the right up the steep slope that is. Climber's route is right. ... to the climber's camp and beyond. That time we had zero views. Might do it for the views on Sunday, if we fail to find Mt. Baker Vista.

Hiking is what keeps you young of mind and heart. When the going gets tough, the tough get going..............
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-23-2016, 12:27 PM
Scaling New Heights

I second what other have said, go climbers route. the views are totally worth it. and you get all the way where the glacier starts.
here's a few pics. unfortunately the rest of my pics are at home.
Attached Images

post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-23-2016, 04:04 PM
Scaling New Heights

thank you that is very useful. Has anyone went DOWN to the base of the glacier? I noticed there is a route to "harrison camp" and looks like you can get to the mouth of the glacier at the bottom. from what i read, thats where alot of new ice climbers practice around. is it any interesting there for hikers who are not ice climbing?

thanks in advance!
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-26-2016, 02:46 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Lots of good comments and discussion guys, thanks.

In case anyone wanted to pm me, and I missed you....

The trip is on for tomorrow... We meet at my place or Bromley's..

Bromley's IGA Store south of the border , 7:45 a.m.

OR 7:25 am at my place first ?

K

Last edited by KARVITK; 06-26-2016 at 03:49 AM.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-27-2016, 01:53 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Default Baker Vista Trail

Baker Vista trail was found, coming off at the end of the road up from Heliotrope TH. End of the road, used to be a Baker Vista Lookout complete with identify signs on stone and mortar structure The lookout is all blocked by tree growth, signs removed, and just a rock and mortal wall remains. Conclusion Baker Vista trail has been deactivated.

The trail was followed for 1 km, before alder growth choked the road/trail before we turned around.

Called it quits on this trail.

And then went for Heliotrope; glacier overlook and getting to the high point of Heliotrope Ridge.

Report on this one will be forthcoming.

K

post #9 of (permalink) Old 06-27-2016, 11:57 PM
Scaling New Heights

Geminihc , here are some more pics as promised. As I mentioned in my PM, once you are up there you will see that the area opens up and you can go left and right. explore and have fun!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150801_113555.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	404.4 KB
ID:	144826  

Name:	IMG_20150801_115951.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	528.4 KB
ID:	144834  

Name:	IMG_20150801_115954.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	554.6 KB
ID:	144842  

Name:	IMG_20150801_123607.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	741.6 KB
ID:	144850  

Name:	IMG_20150801_143604.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	542.9 KB
ID:	144858  

Name:	IMG_20150801_141521.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	532.4 KB
ID:	144866  

Name:	IMG_20150801_144850.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	659.6 KB
ID:	144874  

Name:	IMG_20150801_161225.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	656.0 KB
ID:	144882  

Name:	IMG_20150801_160619.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	745.2 KB
ID:	144890  

post #10 of (permalink) Old 06-28-2016, 01:56 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Nice shots Kore; there is a lot more snow than that now. We also did the climber's route and reached the top of Heliotrope Ridge to finish the day.

K

post #11 of (permalink) Old 06-28-2016, 11:49 AM
Scaling New Heights

Thanks Karvitk!
the pics were taken last August so that's why there is considerably less snow. I think last year was a really good one for us folks that do not do any kind of glacier travel. we were able to get so high up without having to deal with the ice.
KARVITK likes this.
post #12 of (permalink) Old 07-01-2016, 02:24 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kore View Post
Thanks Karvitk!
the pics were taken last August so that's why there is considerably less snow. I think last year was a really good one for us folks that do not do any kind of glacier travel. we were able to get so high up without having to deal with the ice.

That is sweet, with ice being gone

K

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page