User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of (permalink) Old 08-22-2013, 05:59 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by lmtengs

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by KARVITK

Thanks John, if everyone is good with the extra distance if we need to, then we can make it a go with the extra effort.

K
I'm fine with the extra time, as long as there's a source of running water somewhere along the route to refill my water at some point. I tend to drink A LOT when I hike.
There is Airplane Creek and then the next water source is a stream running down from the pass between Munday and Stewart. Once up on that pass, you will have snow and/or the lake. While scrambling up to The Still, there is a stream running down from the upper snowfields.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by lmtengs

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by AcesHigh

May want to add "This is no walk in the park" kind of hike
What could you compare it to?
The scramble up to the summit was the most difficult scramble I have done (the combination of steep, exposure, and loose/crumbly rock), so I have nothing to compare it to. Keep in mind that I don't have much experience with scrambly hikes in my 4 years, and may not have taken the best route up. I am certain many on here do think of it as a 'walk in the park', however.
Bring a helmet, as a lot of rock was falling below me.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of (permalink) Old 08-23-2013, 09:41 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Might be able to make it for the 7/8 weekend of sept. and 4runner is rolling. I will keep you posted as life is very... how do I put it.. I have no idea what is going on right now or where I will be work wise in a week.
post #18 of (permalink) Old 08-24-2013, 10:34 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Interest: Hiking, Snowshoeing, and Photography. Enjoying the outdoors fresh air and fitness experience.

Hello Everyone.... Got a new job starting on Monday; so this trip will be arranged for a Saturday...

So two dates: either Aug 31 or Sept. 7 So I will pick the date with the best possibility of great weather, and having 4 wheel transportation up the road to park at the switchback where Airplane Creek starts; hopefully to save not doing the additional 1-1/2 hours of walking if we started at the bottom. Chances of success will be very much enhanced with the drive up; this will be one trip with a big energy drain and calorie burnoff.

So in terms of access; may pick on going through the notch heading up between the Baby Mundies; or sidehill trail up a steep draw towards the frozen lake enroute to the Still

Karl
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of (permalink) Old 08-26-2013, 11:49 PM
Scaling New Heights

Quote:

Hello Everyone.... Got a new job starting on Monday; so this trip will be arranged for a Saturday...

So two dates: either Aug 31 or Sept. 7 So I will pick the date with the best possibility of great weather, and having 4 wheel transportation up the road to park at the switchback where Airplane Creek starts; hopefully to save not doing the additional 1-1/2 hours of walking if we started at the bottom. Chances of success will be very much enhanced with the drive up; this will be one trip with a big energy drain and calorie burnoff.

So in terms of access; may pick on going through the notch heading up between the Baby Mundies; or sidehill trail up a steep draw towards the frozen lake enroute to the Still

Karl
Won't be coming along then, I can't miss work as I'm very much in need of additional finances. Sorry!
post #20 of (permalink) Old 08-27-2013, 11:35 AM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: I like to mostly hike and snowshoe. Mountain biking, kayaking and adventure racing are some other things I spend my time doing.

Karl I will not be able to make these days. Have fun!

Mark
post #21 of (permalink) Old 08-27-2013, 10:56 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Interest: Hiking, Snowshoeing, and Photography. Enjoying the outdoors fresh air and fitness experience.

Imtengs and Highfalls...

I have added Sundays back in, but leave out the notion of starting from the bottom, wanting to save the 5 km slog up. Trip is long enough without that.

Weather will be a clear factor, just as important is 4 wheel drive mobility through scratchy alder.

K
post #22 of (permalink) Old 08-28-2013, 07:47 AM
Scaling New Heights

i will be game for the 7th
post #23 of (permalink) Old 08-28-2013, 05:29 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Hi Karl, Sundays only for me. Let me know when and what you decide.
post #24 of (permalink) Old 08-28-2013, 06:30 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by devmar

Hi Karl, Sundays only for me. Let me know when and what you decide.
Thanks Dean. Sundays would be more likely if we have 4 wheel starting at the trail @ the 900 meter elevation level.

Thanks Matthorin...

K
post #25 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2013, 06:48 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Matthorin are you free for the 8th as well ? access is 4wd; and your paint job might suffera bit because of Alder.

Looks like most likely date will be 8th and second, 7th. 7th would be preferred, weather dependant.

K
post #26 of (permalink) Old 09-02-2013, 02:07 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Everyone who is interested in this one, please note we make this weather -dependent. i.e. want clear skies, and no mountain top cloud to obscure the peak so we can find our way. Plan B will be to hike ridge top style around above Flora Peak, starting with the pass and heading counter clockwise. Plan C would then be Paleface and Paleface 2 which includes a section of Trans Canada Trail and boulder hopping up to the ridge.

K
post #27 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2013, 12:22 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Meet up time 7 am at the latest, location at the parking lot by Starbucks this coming Sunday.

I have about 4 people confirmed so far; I will compile the list tomorrow.

K
post #28 of (permalink) Old 09-06-2013, 02:17 AM
Scaling New Heights

Quote:

Meet up time 7 am at the latest, location at the parking lot by Starbucks this coming Sunday.

I have about 4 people confirmed so far; I will compile the list tomorrow.

K
Is it too late to join up again... since it's a sunday and all? Sorry for the inactivity, I was in Alberta, and it took a few days to get my schedule back together once back home, with college starting and all.
post #29 of (permalink) Old 09-06-2013, 08:31 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Imtengs

There is still time to join for Sunday, you are in.

K
post #30 of (permalink) Old 09-07-2013, 12:52 PM
Headed for the Mountains

I won't be able to make it, but have fun everyone!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page