Heading North - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-10-2006, 06:07 AM Thread Starter
CWF
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: Hiking, backpacking, travel, reading, movies, cooking, drinking wine, eating.
Default Heading North

I'll be leaving southern California May 14th and getting in to the lower mainland around the 17th, then driving north to Whitehorse. Anyone want to come along and help out with gas? I'll be driving up the Cassiar in my 2001 Chevy Suburban and pulling a 30' travel trailer.

Out of curiosity, I thought I'd see what route Mapquest chose for me and this is what I found:
http://www.mapquest.com/directions/m...PTFD8ukfsc5g==

I'm serious, if anyone would like to come along let me know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-10-2006, 12:04 PM
Summit Master

Hi Charles,

Much as I've always wanted to visit the Yukon, I can't go at this time....but do stop in on your way and come for a hike with us!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-11-2006, 04:21 AM Thread Starter
CWF
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: Hiking, backpacking, travel, reading, movies, cooking, drinking wine, eating.

Tracy, I may have to cruise right on through but will definitely stop for longer on the way south. I plan to be back in San Diego around the beginning of November so will leave the north beginning of October. Last fall, I left WH Oct.2nd and the snow was falling on the Cassiar Hwy.

I've been scanning the job boards for something around Haines Junction (closer to Kluane NP). Whitehorse is a great town but I would like to be closer to the parks this summer and fall.

The practice keeping you busy?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-12-2006, 07:12 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: hiking (slow!), visiting out of the way places, writing, canoeing, and fueling my sweet tooth

I never been up there either - yet . How long does it take from Vanc., Carlos? - 2 or 3 days I'd imagine? I MIGHT be able to go if two conditions could happen:
1.) Are kids allowed? I'd need to bring one along - he did fine on long road trips in the past: quiet,laidback MOST of the time.
2.) Would the time that you're going include the 3 long weekend days?, i.e., May 20, 21, 22nd. I'd need to limit the # of days of work/ school that we'd miss. I think I could take May 18th and 19th off work at the front end, then we'd have to come back to Van. on the 23rd....I did a quick search on how we'd get back to Van., it's actually quite reasonable to fly back down that time of year, actually cheaper (and obviously way quicker) than taking the bus.
3.) One other thing, are there any 'lite' hikes up there? (i.e., 10 km max.). I'd like to fit one in for sure if we go.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-13-2006, 01:54 AM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: hikingbikingyogastudyingarcticdogswatersportssnowshoeing

Hey CWF, it will be good to see you. I am in whitehorse and am now a sourdough, having survived the hard and unforgiving Yukon winter.

Send me an email when you get settled.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-22-2006, 11:42 AM Thread Starter
CWF
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by margaretkoren

I never been up there either - yet . How long does it take from Vanc., Carlos? - 2 or 3 days I'd imagine?
3 days more or less. I figure about $400 for the two of you. You could sleep in the truck, tent, or trailer. You'd see some awesome scenery. And there are plenty of easy hikes to do in and around Whitehorse.

Pm and/or email with any questions.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-22-2006, 11:46 AM Thread Starter
CWF
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Bishop

Hey CWF, it will be good to see you. I am in whitehorse and am now a sourdough, having survived the hard and unforgiving Yukon winter.

Send me an email when you get settled.

You bet, sourdough! Haven't heard anything from you in a while, what adventures have you been on?
post #8 of (permalink) Old 04-23-2006, 08:16 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: hiking (slow!), visiting out of the way places, writing, canoeing, and fueling my sweet tooth

Unfortunately won't be able to make it up there this spring due to the cost: the cheap flights for the way back down are no longer cheap, looks like the summer rates kicked in just like that .
Hope you find some travellers to join you - I'd also suggest posting on vancouvercraigslist.org under 'rides'.
If this is an anuual trek for you, keep me posted on next year .
With advnace planning and some more bodies to share the cost of gas I could hopefully make it up there yet!
post #9 of (permalink) Old 04-24-2006, 09:48 AM Thread Starter
CWF
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by margaretkoren

If this is an anuual trek for you, keep me posted on next year .
With advnace planning and some more bodies to share the cost of gas I could hopefully make it up there yet!
It is a yearly trek, migrating like the Gray Whales, back and forth :0)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page