Default Mount Urquhart, Sunday July 3

Mount Urquhart

Sunday, July 3 , 2005
Summit Elevation:2098m
Trailhead start time: 8:00 am
Elevation Gain: ~1000m
Estimated Return trip distance: 20 kms
Estimated Total Travel Time: 6 hrs

Here's a dayhike to a hidden treasure nestled between Harrison Lake and the Fraser Canyon. Urquhart is an infrequently climbed mountain, but that might change as word gets out. A drive to Harrison Lake and up the Harrison East Forest Road about 30 kms gets us on our way…

Tried getting up there exactly 4 months ago, but the clouds and foul weather dropped on us after a longer than expected drive in. The approach was in excellent shape. I plan to take Hwy 1 this time and hope/expect to get the drive in down to approx 2hrs or better. Leaving home around 6am is the plan.

We'll come in from Coqburn Creek FSR and continue to Charles Creek, and then hike up and then along the lengthy (approx 6 kms) skyline ridge and make our way up the contours to the summit. The West ridge is a 3rd class scramble. To avoid a 4-5 class approach, we'll cut north at the summit base then make the final scramble up going east-southeast.

The top looks amazing: there is a small summit overhang to the steep drop on it's east side. An impressive chunk of rock for sure.

Here are a few pictures, showing the long ridge and striking tusk-like summit; thanks to Drew Brayshaw for the photos. Some magnificent and uncommon views will be a real treat.

This is short-notice, but the positive forescast is certainly inviting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-29-2005, 05:40 PM
Super Moderator

Interest: Hiking, Snowshoeing, and Photography. Enjoying the outdoors fresh air and fitness experience.

I am not familiar with the class # you quote. Can you explain what is class 3, 4, and 5 and on?

Regards,
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-29-2005, 06:14 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-29-2005, 08:33 PM
Dru
Super Moderator

Interest: climbing and spraying

Dean, you have Charles mislabelled on your map... it's the one due south of the summit.

From road end in Charles (if you can drive all the way in) elevation gain is ~1,100m, but one way distance is only 2.7 km (5.5km round trip not 20km).

There should be some flagging tape, not a lot.

Here's a couple more pics since you already have a few of mine up there

Breaking out of the trees. West ridge at left
The summit
Looking up west ridge to the summit
Shadows
700m down the East Face.. steep!

and

Looking over at Urquhart from Medissa.. straight out of the valley from the top of that clearcut you can see up to treeline, then deke over to the left skyline across the alpine terrain.

Its a good one, have fun
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-30-2005, 10:37 AM Thread Starter
Off the Beaten Path

Thanks for handling that PB. Thanks for the pics Dru - yeah, you mentioned that last time.

I've had one person email/call me and their friend will likely join so we're up to 3 people. Forecast is Sun with cloudy periods, 40% POP.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-30-2005, 09:15 PM

I'm interested Dean. Room for a 4th on the trip?
post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-02-2005, 08:55 AM

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Dean1160

Mount Urquhart

Sunday, July 3 , 2005
Summit Elevation:2098m
Trailhead start time: 8:00 am
Elevation Gain: ~1000m
Estimated Return trip distance: 20 kms
Estimated Total Travel Time: 6 hrs

Here's a dayhike to a hidden treasure nestled between Harrison Lake and the Fraser Canyon. Urquhart is an infrequently climbed mountain, but that might change as word gets out. A drive to Harrison Lake and up the Harrison East Forest Road about 30 kms gets us on our way…

Tried getting up there exactly 4 months ago, but the clouds and foul weather dropped on us after a longer than expected drive in. The approach was in excellent shape. I plan to take Hwy 1 this time and hope/expect to get the drive in down to approx 2hrs or better. Leaving home around 6am is the plan.

We'll come in from Coqburn Creek FSR and continue to Charles Creek, and then hike up and then along the lengthy (approx 6 kms) skyline ridge and make our way up the contours to the summit. The West ridge is a 3rd class scramble. To avoid a 4-5 class approach, we'll cut north at the summit base then make the final scramble up going east-southeast.

The top looks amazing: there is a small summit overhang to the steep drop on it's east side. An impressive chunk of rock for sure.

Here are a few pictures, showing the long ridge and striking tusk-like summit; thanks to Drew Brayshaw for the photos. Some magnificent and uncommon views will be a real treat.

This is short-notice, but the positive forescast is certainly inviting.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 07-02-2005, 10:16 AM Thread Starter
Off the Beaten Path

Absolutely Jason! Hopefully this time I'll start the trail at the right time .

I'm working today and can't see my email. My car is full so please make travel arrangments on the thread of by emailing others that have joined. We're actually up to 7 people now. Shakey, I've emailed you another hiker's #.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 07-02-2005, 12:54 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Hi, I'm trying to get in on this trip at the last minute. I emailed you last night Dean; Shakey I'll try to get in touch with you too.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page