Hayward Lake during dam repair - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-29-2005, 08:21 AM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: Whatever puts a smile on my face!
Default Hayward Lake during dam repair

I live in abby and work in the foothills of Golden Ears. I cross the Ruskin Dam everyday on my way to work and have watched the water level slowly drop over the last 7 days. I checked out BC Hydro's web site yesterday and learned that they will be doing repairs on the dam starting tomorrow and as a result are dropping the water level from a normal operating depth of 42 metres to 33 metres. I can't imagine a better time to explore the lake and I am wondering if anybody is interested in doing so with me tomorrow. I have an appointment at 10am and will be heading out that way around noon if anyone is interested. Sorry for the short notice, I just thought of exploring the lake this morning on my way home from work.

A few pictures I took this morning on the way home.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-04-2005, 02:33 PM

Great news, the water should be warmer for swimming (North of the outfall of course) this summer! Nice to walk the East side too, swimming from the metal bridge. Any idea when they might begin filling it up again?
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-05-2005, 02:10 AM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: Whatever puts a smile on my face!

I'm not sure but the repairs were May 30,31 and June 1-3. It would appear as though they are already filling it back up. On Friday when I crossed at 7:30 in the morning the view across was crazy, a full 10 metres below normal operating levels. In fact the water was at least a metre below the bottom on the sluice gates, if not more. Tonight when heading to work it seemed as though it was a little higher.

I really wish I had my camera with me Friday morning.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-05-2005, 07:32 PM
Super Moderator

Interest: Hiking, Snowshoeing, and Photography. Enjoying the outdoors fresh air and fitness experience.

One of my work associates last week told me the water level was almost 50 feet below what it was a few weeks ago. The Ridge-Meadows club did a hike on the east side of the lake 3+ weeks ago when the water level was at normal levels. It was a great easy hike down form the parking lot and then back up. The falls were flowing at less than half what they were doing in January.

I was told all kinds of weird things lost people over the years were showing up on the banks of the lake which were exposed. Someone got some great collections of fishing stuff, among others. use your own imagination.

regards,

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page