User Tag List

3Likes
  • 1 Post By Zoran
  • 2 Post By mekon

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-04-2017, 02:25 AM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: hiking, telemarking, filmmaking
Default club-tread-like forum for cycling?

Obviously not the most-travelled thread in clubtread, so I was wondering: anyone know if there is a local (vancouver, etc.) clubtread-like forum for cycling (road, gravel, bikepacking)?

cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-05-2017, 12:53 PM
Administrator

Interest: Hiking, camping, photography, reading

Ok - I'll be honest. I have never heard of 'bikepacking' before. I don't know why it never occurred to me that there would be a name for that!

I realize you're probably looking for a resource-ready site, but there's no reason ClubTread can't become that. Bikes use trails, and quite often hikers are using those same trails. It's still 'people-powered' transportation and I believe it belongs here. We do, after all, have this section for discussing it So why not combine our knowledge base on cycle routes as we do for hiking routes?

I am sure I'm not the only one that would be interested in reading your cycling trip reports
And I'll just throw this out there: that goes for you paddlers, too!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-05-2017, 07:29 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: Mountaineering;Bikepacking;Skiing

Mekon, I am not aware of the forum you are looking for. I believe it doesn't exist yet.

Bikepacking exists in Vancouver ... It is a very small community, but it is going to be visible in the future.
Club Tread will benefit from few of us who are exploring local fire, logging and gravel roads. As my bikepacking training I bike NS trails and bike some roads to get ready for my 500+ km routes.

For example, yesterday after work I did this ride and had beer at Bridge Brewery. It was not easy going up and I was alone, but going down on paved road was nice! I passed tens of ordinary cyclists in lycra.

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/20893056

Bikepackers are not ordinary cyclists. We mostly have an extensive mountaineering, climbing and hiking background. Love for biking created this unique blend. It is very hard to explain how you feel after fifth day of riding 80-100km logging roads each day ... Club Tread-ers who do long ski traverses or mountain traverses are familiar with that.
VSDM likes this.

Zoran
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-08-2017, 01:23 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: hiking, telemarking, filmmaking

Thanks VSDM and Zoran.

That is a fun ride, Zoran; have done it quite a few times, even wearing lycra (as I am in the attached pic).

Were Spur 4 and the other gravel/dirt roads soft? It's hard to ride with tires thinner than standard mtb tires when it's soft. I'd be curious to hear more about local bikepacking routes.

Here's a still or two from yesterday's ride to Rainy Pass on rte 20 in Washington, which is still closed by snow and avalanches at the Rainy Pass trailhead. Great ride and amazing weather. I put the bike in the pic for scale. 65 inches of snow at the end of the road.

I camped in Newhalem under starry skies. Massive flocks of bushtits, finches, sparrows, etc. etc on the road above the snowline. Picking up grit I assume.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0561.JPG
Views:	62
Size:	472.3 KB
ID:	201066  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0550.JPG
Views:	63
Size:	348.8 KB
ID:	201074  

VSDM and 61146 like this.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-08-2017, 05:41 PM
Super Moderator

Interest: Hiking, Snowshoeing, and Photography. Enjoying the outdoors fresh air and fitness experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mekon View Post
Thanks VSDM and Zoran.

That is a fun ride, Zoran; have done it quite a few times, even wearing lycra (as I am in the attached pic).

Were Spur 4 and the other gravel/dirt roads soft? It's hard to ride with tires thinner than standard mtb tires when it's soft. I'd be curious to hear more about local bikepacking routes.

Here's a still or two from yesterday's ride to Rainy Pass on rte 20 in Washington, which is still closed by snow and avalanches at the Rainy Pass trailhead. Great ride and amazing weather. I put the bike in the pic for scale. 65 inches of snow at the end of the road.

I camped in Newhalem under starry skies. Massive flocks of bushtits, finches, sparrows, etc. etc on the road above the snowline. Picking up grit I assume.

Really like this idea and concept; never got into it although thought about. I up and downs on relatively moderate gravel roads with potholes, rather strenous, perhaps not the right bike tires or the strength to do these. Love those pictures of the snow walls and paved road.

K

Hiking is what keeps you young of mind and heart. When the going gets tough, the tough get going..............
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-13-2017, 12:20 AM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: Mountaineering;Bikepacking;Skiing

Spur 4 is hard packed logging/fire road ... No sand or loose gravel.
I stopped by Lost lake to check it for fishing. Beautiful bike training route. I absolutely love it. I have Schwalbe Gravel One 27.5x2.8 tires. Tires are wide and great for gravel roads.

One possible bikepacking/fishing route I am getting ready to ride is Tofino to Victoria on fire/logging roads. Just over 400km. Several options are in our backyard! Great places but not much paved roads. Almost minimal ...

If I go soon I will post trip report here. Lets make this section of Club Tread more interesting?

Zoran

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page