Anyone Cycled across BC?? - Page 2 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of (permalink) Old 12-23-2015, 10:56 PM
Headed for the Mountains

I would recomend DRu's route with one exception take #1 west out of kamloops to Lynton then go north to lilooet and take take the duffy from there, you get the thompson canyon, some good parts of the fraser canyon and finish with Joffre lakes and the rest of the sea to sky. Also 10 km north of clearwater Spahats falls is quite spectacular. but there are no bad choices, just tolerances to traffic. I personally don't mind the Coq. shoulders are wide. 5a kamloops to merrit is a narrow winding road with little or no shoulder and lots of big trucks avoiding the weigh scale but it does have better scenery. #1 west of kamloops has lower traffic for the most part good shoulders and by far the best scenery.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of (permalink) Old 12-26-2015, 03:34 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: The outdoors,travel, maps, languages,natural history etc.

Hi West Coast Paddler,
Thanks for exploring our site. We are currently having a good look at your paddling site as we plan for a kayak outing with German friends who will visit next September. We met one of these guys when cycling across western China in 2009, and have kept in touch. This will be the second time they've come to Canada for hiking and kayaking, and we've used them as a base camp from which to start a bike trip in Europe. The tentative plan for 2016 is Johnstone Strait.
GH
post #18 of (permalink) Old 12-30-2015, 02:16 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Grey Hair, that sounds like a good trip and I hope you find our site useful. Johnstone Strait (and the nearby Broughton) is an excellent place to paddle. If there's anything I can do to provide info, etc, don't hesitate to ask.

Further to the cycling discussion, none of the routes from Jasper are going to be remotely ideal for cycling -- there are cycling-unfriendly roads all over the province and you're bound to find some of them on your journey. The best suggestion that I can give is to keep your wits about you and use common sense and it should keep you safe. I've found that most (not all) drivers will give you extra room on the highways -- the big trucks, we've found, are particularly good about giving as wide a berth as they can -- but they're not always able to so be mindful of what lies ahead on the road when they approach. There were a few long downhills stretches where there was no shoulder of any kind (east of Golden was the worst) -- we rode in the middle of the lane when we got to these descents because we'd hit speeds in excess of 60km/hr -- cars didn't seem to have issues with us holding them up a bit but if there were a truck behind us we'd pull off the road and let it pass -- you don't want to have a semi riding its brakes on a long descent -- especially if it's right behind you. There were a couple of people who came scary close on occasion, but generally we found most people on the highways are good about giving cyclists extra room. We noticed a substantial change in driver behavior when we got into cities and towns where the noticeable courtesy given on the highway all but disappears. We found that Penticton was by far the most hostile place to be on a bicycle.

Another thing to consider is hydration. There will be a few long stretches where there's not much in the way of stores, restaurants, etc., where you can fill water bottles -- we brought our MSR water filter with us and were glad we did -- we used it quite a lot along the way to refill bottles at roadside creeks. We carried three water bottles on each bike and I can only think of only one occasion where we were both almost out of water.

Seegs, if you haven't already done so, I recommend taking a read through Grey Hair's site -- there's lots of useful cycle touring information there.

Last edited by WestCoastPaddler; 12-30-2015 at 02:19 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of (permalink) Old 01-01-2016, 11:41 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: The outdoors,travel, maps, languages,natural history etc.

I agree completely with WestCoastPaddler's statement:

Further to the cycling discussion, none of the routes from Jasper are going to be remotely ideal for cycling -- there are cycling-unfriendly roads all over the province and you're bound to find some of them on your journey.

Car culture and high-speed main roads are what prevails in North America. BC is, in general, no exception. Bike touring tends to get much better in parts of the world that are less-populated (more remote parts of Asia and South America, but also northern BC on the Stewart Cassiar highway) or in areas where there is a well-developed web of back roads (Europe). As I said, it's the back road segment of our ride from Jasper that stand out.

In the past decade, I've been lucky enough to bike tour in many parts of the world. But not everyone has the time, the means, or the energy to start and end bike trips using air travel. Closer to home, I have my eye on some back roads in Oregon for a future trip, possibly starting with an Amtrak ride (bring on the seniors discount!) to Klamath Falls. I recently found a site that's caught my interest:
See Oregon Bikepacking for suggestions that take you away from main roads.
GH

Last edited by Grey Hair; 01-02-2016 at 12:07 AM.
post #20 of (permalink) Old 09-14-2016, 03:03 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: Im all about the Hikes!

Hey folks. So I did it (all 1100kms of it!) I wrote up an article about my trip for Explore Magazine if anyone is interested in checking it out.

http://www.explore-mag.com/Cycling-A...se-to-vacation

Ive lived here in paradise most of my life, I go hiking any chance I get, and one day Kilimanjaro I\'ll get you too!
post #21 of (permalink) Old 09-14-2016, 06:37 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Interest: Scrambling, rock climbing, road biking & landscape photography

Excellent work Seegs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page