Three day kayak trip around Pitt Lake - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-20-2004, 10:27 AM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: BC Park Volunteer for the front and backcountry trails in Golden Ears Park. Also love to kayak !!!
Default Three day kayak trip around Pitt Lake

Alex and I did a 3 day, 60 km kayak trip, around Pitt Lake under sunny skies. We started from Grant Narrows and up the eastside on Wednesday June 16. Here is a map and distance chart. Total paddle time was about 12.5 hours. About 4 to 5 kms per hour.

We left Wednesday from Grant Narrows at 10:30 am and had a two hour paddle up to Raven Creek on the eastside of the lake for lunch.

After lunch we had another 1.5 hours up to North Osprey Creek and made camp. Total distance was approx 17km. At this camp there are 4 camp spots and a nice sandy beach. Concrete outhouse to use and clean stream water by the camp.

Ron, almighty warrior at North Osprey Creek

On Thursday, June 17 we had a total of 5.15 hours of paddling and 26km to cover. We went from Osprey up the eastside to the end of the lake and back down the westside and over to Osprey again. Sunny skies and warm. A one foot chop to start, then mirror water after.

we headed out at 9:45 am for the end of the lake and back. Occasional seals and unreal scenery all the way. We headed for Vickers Creek for lunch. This was about 1hr 50 minute trip.

lunch at Vickers Creek. Only one good spot to camp if you stayed here.
From here we headed up the eastside to the JS Jones Timber camp at the end of the lake. About a 45 min trip.

They were doing helicopter logging while we were there. Had a chance to talk to the resort owner who owns the lodge about a further 7 km up the dirt road.

Nice cabins along the way. The cabins only go up to Debeck on the westside. After we left the logging camp we headed down the westside to Debeck Creek. Only one little spot for a tent by the creek. Took about 1Hr 20 min to get here.

Ater here we headed for down the westside and cut back over to North Osprey. We were hot and cooled off in the lake when we got back. The temperature must have been well over 30C most of the time today.
Here are a few shots from the camp.

On Friday, June 18th we broke camp and left at 9:15 am to cross back over to the westside and head back. This day was a total time of 3HR and 50 min paddling and a total of 18km distance.

Our first stop was Defrauder Creek which took about one hour to get there. Again some choppy water crossing but mirror water after. At Defrauder there is a beautiful waterfall and about three spots to pitch a tent. Nice sandy beach to take in the view. Here are a few shots of the area.

After Defrauder, we headed for Dark Creek to have lunch. This trip was 50 minutes.

After here we passed an old steam donkey and took in the Indian paintings along the rock faces. A must see to understand the history of this area.

Along the westside the colors and shots of Golden Ears were unreal

From Dark Creek back to Grant Narrows was about 1.5 hours. The weather was changing with the clouds moving in
Arriving at Grant Narrows by 3:00 pm, the weather was changing even more and the wind was picking up

When I got home, that was when all hell broke loose with the storm in Maple Ridge. My deck umbrella flew over my house and landed about 3 feet from me and my kayak. Trees snapped and the power went out. Welcome home as they say. My son was water skiing on the lake and said most of the storm missed them. This trip is well worth doing again and I would recommend a 3 or 4 day window of good weather to do it. If rough weather hits, some spots are impossible to pull into as the cliffs are on both sides. The lake is up to 3.5 kms wide and the waves can be just like being in the ocean. In all, great company and a picture perfect trip for weather.

Here are a few shots I forgot to add from our camp at North Osprey

shots of Little Goose Island and Goose Island

The weather isn\'t bad here. It only rained twice last week, the first time for three days and the second time for four days.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-20-2004, 11:57 AM
Summit Master

Interest: Hiking, UL Backpacking, canoeing, snowshoeing

good show Ron! I love a good weekender paddle myself. Nice pics...you had awesome weather for the trip I see!

----------------------------------------
"I don't know the answer to the mystery of life, but a woman sure helps pass the time"

Johnny Cash
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-20-2004, 04:51 PM
Summit Master

Good report Ron. You have some very nice pictures there.I just have to try this " when " they close the trails this year.
So at Defrauder Creek how come alex is missing from the second shot [?] Did you psuh him in the falls[?][)]
From the look of it I could spend a week just at Osprey Creek.
Looks so peaceful. I wonder how busy it gets on the weekends[?]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-20-2004, 05:15 PM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: BC Park Volunteer for the front and backcountry trails in Golden Ears Park. Also love to kayak !!!

We went during the week thinking it would be busy there. Mostly boaters came to the beach to ski and drink. They were quiet for the most part. Only one couple were noisy with a getto. Amazing how the AK47 put that to a end. Alex was supposed to take mine but I think he forgot to push the button. The falls are noisy but relaxing with the spray in the hot sun. How we wou;d have paid dearly for a beer then. I don't drink, but in that heat I would gladly settle for a Corona with a twist of lime.

Which of my five senses tends to diminish as I get older... My sense of decency.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-20-2004, 05:53 PM
Summit Master

beautiful, beautiful pictures Ronbo. I especially like the picture of your friend kayaking on winter-green water. And the sun peeking from near a rocky outcropping. What a beautiful three days. I look forward to getting out paddling again!

cheers - C Wall.

Embrace life!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-20-2004, 06:11 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Interest: Hiking, Backpacking, Computers & Photography

Sounds like you and Alex had a great time Ron. Did you check out the Hotspring's. We will have to put you and Alex down to lead this one some time.

Previously Backpacker_Doug
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-20-2004, 07:21 PM

Sweet trip Ronbo !!!

"I love carb's !!!"
post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-20-2004, 07:50 PM
DW2
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: travel/ hike/camp/ backpack/canoe/ photography/ snowshoeing/x-country ski

Got a note from Alex also. Glad the trip went well and the info I gave you was helpful. Next time the 4 of us should do it together. It is a wonderful paddle.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 06-20-2004, 07:57 PM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

Hi Doug,
Glad to here from you. We did not go up to the hotsprings. It is 22 km one way. The girl at the dock is going to hook me up with the water taxi to bring up the bikes. Will let you know.
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by NoTrace

Sounds like you and Alex had a great time Ron. Did you check out the Hotspring's. We will have to put you and Alex down to lead this one some time.

Previously Backpacker_Doug
Which of my five senses tends to diminish as I get older... My sense of decency.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 06-21-2004, 09:42 AM

Nicely done, Ronbo. Great trip! On the way back did you paddle around the sandbar, hoof it over the mud, or were you lucky enough to have high water?
post #11 of (permalink) Old 06-21-2004, 12:29 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: whitewater canoeing backcounty skiing hiking

Awesome trip report. I'll use this info one day when I do the trip myself. It's the idea of power boats, crowds, etc. that keeps me from doing this. However, your report reminds me that it's still worthwhile!

I hate it that BC Parks or BC Hydro or somebody doesn't have a freshwater, wildernessy destination somewhere near Vancouver that is dedicated to self-propelled craft. Later this summer I'll likely try the upper east sides of Harrison or Stave and hope for no drunks with ghetto blasters.

P.
post #12 of (permalink) Old 06-21-2004, 12:39 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Great report and pics Ronbo - you sure know how to live. [^]

Can you tell me which book you got the lake description and map? Looks like a good guide for canoe/kayak trips.

"Heaven is under our feet is well as over our heads" Thoreau
post #13 of (permalink) Old 06-21-2004, 03:24 PM
DW2
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: travel/ hike/camp/ backpack/canoe/ photography/ snowshoeing/x-country ski

[u]Pathfinder</u> Since I gave Ronbo the info I will answer the question. It is The Vancouver Paddler by Glenn Stedham and is an excellent reference book for local paddles. Most book stores carry it.
post #14 of (permalink) Old 06-21-2004, 05:40 PM
Summit Master

Interest: in no particular order... * photography * cooking * eating * hiking / backpacking * shit-disturbing * messin\' with computer stuff

WOW - what a cool trip, Ronbo! [8D]

Who's yer Gnome!!
post #15 of (permalink) Old 06-21-2004, 09:51 PM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Shakey

Nicely done, Ronbo. Great trip! On the way back did you paddle around the sandbar, hoof it over the mud, or were you lucky enough to have high water?
We came down the westside, but just made it before the water level got to low. I got caught last year with about 50 feet to go. I know what mud wrestling is like now.
Cheers,
Ronbo

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page