Three day kayak trip around Pitt Lake - Page 2 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of (permalink) Old 06-21-2004, 11:17 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Thanks! Ordered a copy from the library today. Will check it out and probably buy one later.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by DW2

[u]Pathfinder</u> Since I gave Ronbo the info I will answer the question. It is The Vancouver Paddler by Glenn Stedham and is an excellent reference book for local paddles. Most book stores carry it.
----------------------------------------
"Heaven is under our feet is well as over our heads" Thoreau
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of (permalink) Old 06-22-2004, 09:12 AM
Summit Master

Interest: I enjoy hiking

Thanks for the pics and the campsite reports, Ron!
post #18 of (permalink) Old 06-23-2020, 08:05 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Default Pitt Lake Update - June 2020

This thread was the first thing that came up when I googled kayak camping on Pitt Lake so thought I would provide a few updates from a recent overnight on Pitt Lake.

Boat Launch Access
As of May 2020, the boat launch at Grant Narrows Regional Park is closed for public access. It might be possible to park your car at the gate and walk but I wouldn't recommend it. An alternative is drive about 1 km back along Rennie Road to a trail head for the dyke walk. There is a gate across the path to stop cars, but it is open for pedestrians. About 50 metres in you will see some steps down to the water. From there you can launch your kayak and head out to the river. It does add a bit of distance to your paddle up the lake (maybe 20 minutes to get to the original boat launch site). Here's a map pin coordinates for the trail head: 49.333189, -122.641749

Here's a picture of the launch site:
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2882.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	1.34 MB
ID:	277006

Raven Creek Campsite
The campsite at Raven Creek looked good. I didn't stay there but decided to check it out and stretch my legs. There's a few small sites, a pit toilet and access to the creek for drinking water. I would guess it's about 9 km from the boat launch (11 km from the Dyke walk launch site) to Raven Creek. Here's the location coordinates: 49.398883,-122.531552
Raven Creek Campsite pics:

Name:	IMG_2794.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	2.24 MB
ID:	277012

Osprey Creek Campsite
I stayed at Osprey South and the setup was much the same as Raven Creek...a pit toilet, several small sites to camp and all of them right on the lake. Since I was in late June, and it's been pretty wet, the water level was pretty high. Even at low tide there was not a lot of beach to see. I found the campsite well protected from the wind and the view up and down the lake was fantastic.

The North camp site looked just as good - I chose south just because...no real reason. Perhaps the biggest benefit to Osprey North is the creek (aka fresh water) was close by. Didn't really see the creek from the south campsite. Compared to the photos at the start of this thread I would say that it's a little more bushy than in 2004. Nonetheless it's a nice spot.

Map coordinates for Osprey Creek South Campsite: 49.467077, -122.514594
Pics from Osprey Creek:

Name:	0B387F68-F877-4131-99CF-4F37D62C80DB.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	528.7 KB
ID:	277014

Name:	IMG_2813.jpg
Size:	1.58 MB
ID:	277008

Distance and time
You can plot out some distances on google maps and obviously the time it takes is very subjective based on your paddling ability, how you like to travel, current and conditions as well as your route so take this with a big grain of salt. I found that from the Pitt River launching spot to Raven Creek was about 2 1/2 hours and then another 2 hours to Osprey. I had very flat conditions and no wind so it was smooth paddling. I did follow the east side of the lake going north as I wasn't sure how deep the water would be outside of the main channel.

Water depth / Main channel
Speaking of water depth, I did come back the West side of the lake and ended up going straight and crossed over the shallow parts of the lake. At this point I had a good read on the tides (I had observed the height change at my campsite) and I could see the water level was quite high on the banks of the lake. I did a few spot checks and it was about 5 ft deep when I could see the bottom (I just shoved my paddle straight down until it touched). Overall I would use caution here though as if it is low tide I suspect you could bottom out, and the sands may shift over time so take my experience as you will.

Boat traffic
I suspect due to the boat launch being closed that traffic is way down. This was my first time so I can't really compare. I didn't see another kayak or canoe the whole two days and just a handful of boats. Of course it also helped that I went on a Monday/Tuesday.

Summary
Overall I found this to be a great overnight getaway that is an easy drive from most places in the lower mainland.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2791.jpg
Size:	2.01 MB
ID:	277010  

martin, zeljkok and ashi like this.

Last edited by tism; 06-23-2020 at 08:07 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of (permalink) Old 06-23-2020, 09:29 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: What can I say, I love the outdoors. Backpacking, canoeing, hiking, fishing, a little cycling and so on and so on.

Great intel here. Been wanting to do the paddle and the ride to the hot springs camping along the way for ages. This might be the best time ever with no motorized boats or at least not as many as per usual. Tism I'm wondering about overnight parking where you launched. How was that?

Every journey begins with one small step.
post #20 of (permalink) Old 06-24-2020, 10:40 AM
Hittin' the Trails

Re parking, there were no signs to say one way or the other and I parked overnight without incident. It does seem like a remote place and not a lot of traffic. Nonetheless there is a fair bit of space to park safely on the shoulder and not impede the flow of vehicles.
sidetrip likes this.
post #21 of (permalink) Old 06-24-2020, 08:49 PM
Summit Master

Interest: I enjoy hiking

Great update tism, thanks! That Osprey campsite looks sweet and it must be really good now with fewer motor boats faffing about.
We tried to go canoeing in Widgeon Slough a couple of months ago when everything was locked down and it was a bit of a gong show of people trying to turn around at that locked gate so we just went home again.
post #22 of (permalink) Old 07-07-2020, 04:08 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Hey @tism, just wanted to say thanks for posting... Did a quick canoe-powered overnight to Raven Creek with my wife and daughter on the weekend and your recent intel was quite helpful. Much appreciated!

The water levels are indeed pretty high; the only sign we saw of a beach was a few fire rings we paddled over on our way out.

It was quiet Saturday, maybe the rains earlier in the week deterred other would-be campers. The bugs were out though, whew! We had a brief visit Sunday morning from some friendly canoeists who turned out to be members here as well, very nice folks.

The trip back on Sunday was a bit taxing—we left a little later than we'd planned (we're working on it!), right around when the tide started coming in, and there was a decent wind blowing from the south too. All that was manageable, if a bit slow... the real challenge was that we seemed to hit rush hour on Sunday afternoon, with dozens of motor boats commuting back to the dock or marina as we paddled to the put-out. Traffic was particularly hairy as we passed through the channel on the east side. We kept our wits about us and made it back without incident, but we were pretty tired by the end of the day. Think we'd better time it differently next time out.

Anyway, it was a very nice trip. Thanks again for the recent report, and thanks also to those who reported earlier trips where they got stuck on the sandbar! Very helpful.
post #23 of (permalink) Old 07-08-2020, 08:30 AM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: What can I say, I love the outdoors. Backpacking, canoeing, hiking, fishing, a little cycling and so on and so on.

Guess Rannie Point is still closed? You launch and exit from further down the road?

post #24 of (permalink) Old 07-08-2020, 03:13 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidetrip View Post
Guess Rannie Point is still closed? You launch and exit from further down the road?
Ya, the road to the boat launch is still closed and gated. We put in near the corner where everyone gets their wedding photos done, which added about 3k of paddling. That was fine on the way out, but we would have been fairly happy to finish 3km earlier on the way back.
sidetrip likes this.
post #25 of (permalink) Old 07-08-2020, 05:19 PM
Hittin' the Trails

@two2the8 I'm glad the information was helpful.

@sidetrip have a look at the launch I described above - it would be an easy spot to launch for Widgeon as well
post #26 of (permalink) Old 07-08-2020, 06:40 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Yeah not going until September probably when the bugs have faded away a bit. If the gates still closed we will launch at that corner like everyone seems to be doing these days.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page