Cycling the sunshine coast/V.I route..any tips?? - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-18-2015, 01:09 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: Im all about the Hikes!
Default Cycling the sunshine coast/V.I route..any tips??

Hey Clubtread friends. This summer I am arranging plans to bike to Powell River via Horseshoe Bay ferry, then head to Comox and back down to catch the ferry back to Tsawwassen. Anyone done this route. Any tips or must see's on the way?

Any info would be great.

Cheers.

Ive lived here in paradise most of my life, I go hiking any chance I get, and one day Kilimanjaro I\'ll get you too!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-18-2015, 08:04 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Study the maps a bit, there are some routes off the highway nice to bike. From the Langdale ferry terminal stay left. There is a not-too-confusing route all the way to Roberts Creek, then on the highway. After Sechelt find Redrooffs Rd also on the left, which as well as being lovely saves you some climbing. No other good diversions from the highway that are notable, either too short to be worth finding or they add a lot of distance.

On the Island leg use the old highway of course. Not much diversion possible until close to Nanaimo, take Lantzville and then Hammond Bay roads.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-19-2015, 04:45 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: Im all about the Hikes!

Thanks alexcanuck!

Cheers.

Ive lived here in paradise most of my life, I go hiking any chance I get, and one day Kilimanjaro I\'ll get you too!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-19-2015, 10:14 PM
Off the Beaten Path

I heard from kayakers who had biked up to Powell River last summer that the Saltery Bay ferry terminal to Powell River section was harder that they had anticipated. If you want to take a day off here (where I live), we have a huge mountain biking community, or I could suggest a couple of great hikes.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-20-2015, 12:05 AM
Scaling New Heights

Interest: Hiking, Skiing.Moutain Biking.

Perhaps you'd find this a more interesting route, -but a bit longer. Instead of taking the B.C. Ferry from Powell River to Comox, go about 20 kilometers beyond Powell River to Lund. From there there is a water taxi that runs to Savary Island, and Cortes Island. From Cortes you can take the B.C. Ferry to Quadra Island and from Quadra to Campbell River on Vancouver Island. Campbell River is about 50 kilometers north of Comox. There's accomodation available on Savary, Cortes and Quadra as well as camping. Savary is worth seeing as are Cortes and Quadra and these island roads are peaceful and quiet.
The water taxi would be more expensive than the Powell River to Comox B.C. ferry but the inter island route might be worth it.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page