Kayaking wetsuits - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

1Likes
  • 1 Post By W.C-hiker

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-03-2015, 11:40 PM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Default Kayaking wetsuits

I want to do cold weather kayaking and think a wetsuit would be a good idea. I have been told sleeveless would be best for freedom of the arms. Not sure about thickness. 7mm too bulky and warm? 3mm not enough? Appreciate feedback based on your personal experiences.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-03-2015, 11:43 PM
Summit Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aragon View Post
I want to do cold weather kayaking and think a wetsuit would be a good idea. I have been told sleeveless would be best for freedom of the arms. Not sure about thickness. 7mm too bulky and warm? 3mm not enough? Appreciate feedback based on your personal experiences.

west coast paddler likely has some real feed back for you, if he don't answer, try a message.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-04-2015, 01:36 AM
Scaling New Heights

Hello Aragon, At the minimum you will want to look at getting a farmer John wet suit. ( no sleeves, full leg ) with that you'll need neoprene socks and booties , also a good paddling jacket .
If you plan on doing any serious open water paddling you will want to look at getting a dry suit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-04-2015, 01:42 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Love the outdoors. Trying new things. And at night......BOGGLE!

Thanks for this information. I've signed up (stupidly?) for a January kayak class and have been told we will be provided with the Farmer John outfits. We were also told to buy our own neoprene booties. I'm not clear on whether we need to provide our own jackets though (have a call in to instructor). I'm guessing this is part of the provided gear, but would that be all we would need on top? Just the sleeveless suit and a jacket? Or should I be buying some sort of tighter-fitting under layer? Also, would you recommend one of those neoprene hoods?

Chaos, Panic & Disorder----my work here is done.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-04-2015, 04:22 PM
Scaling New Heights

Calixtomoon,

Before I bought my Drysuit this is what I would wear during the winter paddling season,

feet- neoprene socks and the neoprene boots

Body- non-cotton underwear , farmer John suit, Kokatat Hydros tempess pants with gaskets at ankle

Upper Body base layer- polyester/ spandex long sleeve shirt , then the farmer John, then another layer say a polyester and wool shirt.
Outer layer would be a Kotatat Dry top, (gaskets on wrists and neck , with a zelcro waist band

I wore gloves , some people hate wearing them

as for headwear, depending on the sea conditions ( and if I was planning on doing any rolling) I would either wear a simple paddling cap or a full paddling hood

even with all this, you may still get wet depending on the amount of time in the water ( when my rolls did fail, I was always out of the water within seconds and managed to stay dry for the most part)

One suggestion, if you add up the price of everything I have listed here and compared it to the price of drysuit you may just want to spend the extra bit of money and get one. ( you will eventually get one, it is just a matter of time

For further reading check out www.westcoastpaddler.com as there is plenty of info there.
they even have a section with gear for sale.
alpalmer likes this.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-04-2015, 09:19 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Love the outdoors. Trying new things. And at night......BOGGLE!

A HUGE help. Thank you

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page