Now is the time to fish for pink salmon! - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-20-2013, 07:11 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: Anything Alpine related, running, computers, fly fishing, chatting.
Default Now is the time to fish for pink salmon!

I went fishing for pink salmon on the Fraser River today and I hooked a nice silver coloured salmon in about an hour of fishing, unfortunately the line snapped. It was about 8 lbs.

For those who are new to fishing for pinks, you should go two hours before high tide and use a brightly neon coloured lure such as red or orange. I recommend a small sized spinning reel with a medium action rod and retrieve the lure slow to medium speed.

You can fish for pinks anywhere on the shore on the Fraser River - there is no need for a boat.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-20-2013, 07:12 PM
Dru
Super Moderator

Interest: climbing and spraying

Aren't you worried about Lyme disease?
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-20-2013, 07:13 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

No dude, I was fishing on a boardwalk!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-20-2013, 07:35 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Women

What I find fun is catching Pink Salmon with a trout rod. Sure is fun tiring him out without breaking the rod. Did that a couple seasons ago. In Hope the fishing has always been great.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-20-2013, 08:38 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

I was using a medium action rod suitable for larger trout/smaller sized salmon with an ultralight sized spinning reel more designed for small trout than salmon.

Yes, it was very fun while I was reeling it in, but it was unfortunate that the line snapped so quickly - about 15 seconds when I was reeling it in through some shallow water near a rocky shoreline. I should have added my own higher quality fishing line than the one which came with my reel. I ended selling my expensive Shimano spinning reel about 10 years ago, and I bought a 7 dollar fishing reel which came spooled with fishing line at Canadian Tire, but surprisingly, it caught me largemouth bass and a pink salmon with it.

Just proof that you don't need to spend lots of money to catch fish, just make sure the fishing line is suitable for the environment and the line is strong enough!

post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-20-2013, 11:02 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: I enjoy outdoor activities of all sorts, and always learning new ways to enjoy myself outside. Reading, socializing, travelling, and photography keep me busy as well.

It's pretty easy to get excited and keep too much or too little tension on the line. This will lead to it breaking no matter its strength. Playing the fish properly will reduce the chance of the line breaking. Make sure you allow the fish to gradually "take" out line on a run and then when you feel it slow down reel it in - repeat as nessescary until the fish comes in easily. On light gear this can take some time with a fish such as a salmon.

I was hoping to get out for pinks this year on the Squamish but I think I'm too late now. It's good to hear theyre still running on the Fraser. I'll have to try to get down there in the next couple days.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-20-2013, 11:08 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Summit Seeker

It's pretty easy to get excited and keep too much or too little tension on the line. This will lead to it breaking no matter its strength. Playing the fish properly will reduce the chance of the line breaking. Make sure you allow the fish to gradually "take" out line on a run and then when you feel it slow down reel it in - repeat as nessescary until the fish comes in easily. On light gear this can take some time with a fish such as a salmon.

I was hoping to get out for pinks this year on the Squamish but I think I'm too late now. It's good to hear theyre still running on the Fraser. I'll have to try to get down there in the next couple days.
Yes, I should have taken more time when it came to reeling in the fish. Since I was fishing on a high boardwalk structure, I really needed a stronger fishing line. I believe I was using a 8 lb test line, which could be fine if I was fishing on the shore without having to reel the fish in the air. The fish fought extremely hard too!

Many years ago, I fished for chum salmon, and I was using Silver Thread 15 lb test line on a Ambassadeur baitcaster reel with a medium action baitcasting rod, and I could reel in the fish like a madman without having the line breaking, but I was standing on a rocky shoreline. That was Stave River, and there were even young kids that were catching and reeling in big salmon without problems from the shore.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-21-2013, 10:13 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

This afternoon, I went salmon fishing on the Fraser River again and I ended catching a 9lb pink salmon in about 10 minutes of fishing. I'm not going to say it was easy fishing, but it was a lot of work bringing in the fish when I had no net available. The fish didn't jump, but it was more of a tug-a-war type of fight as it wanted to swim downwards and hide below the boardwalk structure. Today, I did buy myself a brand new fishing reel and 40lb test braided line, so I had lots of confidence without worrying about losing the fish due to equipment failure.

I had over 15 strangers watching me land the fish. Luckily, an elderly couple had a net nearby and they pulled in the fish with their help. The fish wasn't in its most prized condition since it wasn't completely silver coloured, but more greyish in colour.

I'll fish the Fraser again for pink salmon, but if I catch one that isn't silver coloured, I will be releasing the fish.

post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-22-2013, 12:34 AM
Summit Master

Usually the good looking fish are the females, silver no humps. Those male "Humpys" are god damn ugly and love the fight. If you accidently hook one in the gut you will have a hell of a fight on your hands as they can swim while hooked better than if it was hooked in their mouth, the fight is a whole lot stronger. Took me 30mins to bring in a pink on my trout rod without breaking it . Every cast I can catch them in Hope.

post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-22-2013, 06:13 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: fishing, downhill/x-country skiing,hiking/backpacking, canoeing, snowshoing

I am finding all this salmon fishing chatter very appealing, unfortunately I have already booked the last of my holidays this year. So, I take it, the mid to late September time line is good for Salmon fishing along the Fraser right? I think I might save a few days next year and get one of you gents out there to let me tag along for some river fishing. As an Alberta resident, would I need more than just a non-resident licence or is there a special licence for salmon from a river as well?
post #11 of (permalink) Old 09-22-2013, 08:54 AM
Summit Master

Interest: Hiking, UL Backpacking, canoeing, snowshoeing

The pinks only run every other year, so you have two years to plan for the next big run.
post #12 of (permalink) Old 09-22-2013, 10:53 AM
Summit Master

If memory serves me right Darrenbell, I think you need a non-resident license and then on top of that a "tag" for salmon. You can get the non-resident licenses for different lengths of time. I believe it should cost around $55 for everything at the most.

post #13 of (permalink) Old 10-23-2013, 12:52 AM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Right now, people can catch coho and chum salmon, as the pink salmon run is already over.

On Sunday, I caught a 30lb chum salmon in less than 3 minutes of fishing on a public boardwalk on the Fraser River. I thought I snagged a rock when I was reeling my lure, but it started pulling a bit, so I realized I hooked a big fish. The fish fought very hard, but I fought back with confidence with my 40lb test braided fishing line and a new fishing reel. I didn't have a long rope net with me since I was still quite new to fishing on boardwalks, but after tiring down the fish for about 10 minutes, another fisherman with a net came by and helped me net the fish. The fish was very tired out and it was not fit to be released, so I decided to keep it. Carrying a slimy 30lb fish with one hand and a tackle box and fishing rod to my car for 5 minutes wasn't easy!
post #14 of (permalink) Old 10-24-2013, 04:58 PM
Summit Master

Keep practicing... Next year is the big sockeye run. Where I go the sockeye can be caught almost every cast. Fill your deep freeze!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page