WTB: Canoe spray skirt - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-14-2013, 09:38 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Default WTB: Canoe spray skirt

I am looking to buy a used canoe spray skirt that will fit a clipper tripper. I can't afford a new one, so if you have one or know somebody that has one that is not being used, I would be thrilled to give it a new home.

Jeff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-15-2013, 09:38 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Canoeing, Hiking, Fishing and Bear kissing.

ha..! Too bad.. I have one that was used maybe once but it's for a Prospector. Anyway, what the hell you want a spray skirt for anyway?
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-15-2013, 10:03 PM
Summit Master

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Monster

ha..! Too bad.. I have one that was used maybe once but it's for a Prospector. Anyway, what the hell you want a spray skirt for anyway?
He read some nitwit's advice that you should have one for ocean travel. How come you don't use one all the time on tidewater?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-16-2013, 02:13 AM
Summit Master

Steve [:0]

I should've spotted yer fingerprints all over Jeff's skirt from a mile off.

Actually I was a third of the way into a 7km open crossing two weeks ago when I began to fancy myself a full blown convert, 4' seas even at your stern tend to plant such thoughts. I was just fishing that maybe Jeff would drive in the final nail home before I take take my vows, it's allot of extra gear to paddle in waters I shouldn't be paddling anyway.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-16-2013, 11:57 AM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

aerodynmamics!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-16-2013, 07:06 PM
Summit Master

ohhh.. good one Jeff! Too bad a skirt couldn't also double as a sail or some other useful item. Truth is I've paddled allot of ocean and only ever really needed one maybe two or three times, also I have this thing about how every piece of gear (except beer) must serve more than one use.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-16-2013, 08:53 PM
High on the Mountain Top

A spraydeck does serve several functions! Primarily it keeps waves from swamping you (very good thing) but it also keeps your gear and legs dry in rain, keeps you warmer in cold weather, cooler in hot weather, eliminates sunburn on those feet that you always forget to apply sunscreen to, improves aerodynamics both paddling and during transport, and just plain looks really good and professional. Roof mounts have to be reworked to suit, and some familiarity needed to rig it for vehicle transport to prevent flapping, but it can be done and the handling and fuel efficiency is noticeably improved.

I really like mine, even more than I thought I would.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 07-16-2013, 09:27 PM
Summit Master

A noble effort Alex but short of white water river running in tandem canoes, nothing there really screams "essential" at me, especially to the tune of an extra 20 lbs. Not to get me wrong I did get one fit for one of my canoes, just only ever used it once.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 07-16-2013, 09:39 PM
Summit Master

BTW.. I did burn my legs last trip, and was constantly using a towel to cover them the next day so +1 me on the sun shelter!
post #10 of (permalink) Old 07-16-2013, 10:33 PM
Summit Master

Quote:

A noble effort Alex but short of white water river running in tandem canoes, nothing there really screams "essential" at me, especially to the tune of an extra 20 lbs. Not to get me wrong I did get one fit for one of my canoes, just only ever used it once.
Have to say something about that. Spraydecks don't come any heavier than ours, and it's 9lb. You can get ones that weigh half as much, or you can make one out of coated nylon that would be even lighter.

I also have to say something about not taking things that you've never used. I've never used our VHF radio or flares to be rescued, but I'm not leaving them behind. Similarly the spraydeck, like our self-rescue setup, is a layer of defense against that which we cannot allow to happen. The spraydeck once kept us from being swamped during an aborted surf landing in the middle of Ahous Bay on Vargas.

To add to alexcanuck's excellent list of advantages of spraydecks on canoes, the fact a spraydeck allows a canoe to capsize and be righted without filling up with water means you can set up a system for unassisted single canoe capsize recovery offshore in deep water.

It sounds like some transport their canoes with the spraydeck installed. Switching from the standard lacing system to elastic cord and hooks allows ours to be fitted and removed in seconds, and we never transport it with the deck installed.
post #11 of (permalink) Old 07-17-2013, 02:35 AM
Summit Master

9 lbs...! I must have been a very weak paddler when last I used a spray skirt if they are that light

I have two very important uses for my VHF radio, the first and most important use is to check coast guard marine forecasts twice daily. My secondary need is for 2-way marine communications.

Marine flares are an awesome survival tool to have as well, and much like the fire extinguisher in yer kitchen, some tools are must have exceptions to the multi-use rule. Thankfully a couple of marine flares are not as cumbersome as a fire extinguisher or a 10lb canoe skirt.

Of course by keeping water out, the ability to potentially right your canoe after capsizing is the very point of a spray skirt in the first place; which hopefully doesn't betray that my real reason for waffling on getting one for my Mackenzie is cost.

Aerodynamics and even potential transport fuel savings are also very cool points.

Ultimately I question also why I would be in seas big enough that I'd need a spray skirt to paddle in the first place? I think this is what kayaks are for, what they lack in paddling comfort, payload, versatility and weight displacement, they gain in performance against winds, waves and speed. Exactly the conditions that canoes should be on shore in.

post #12 of (permalink) Old 07-17-2013, 06:41 PM
Summit Master

Quote:

9 lbs...! I must have been a very weak paddler when last I used a spray skirt if they are that light

I have two very important uses for my VHF radio, the first and most important use is to check coast guard marine forecasts twice daily. My secondary need is for 2-way marine communications.

Marine flares are an awesome survival tool to have as well, and much like the fire extinguisher in yer kitchen, some tools are must have exceptions to the multi-use rule. Thankfully a couple of marine flares are not as cumbersome as a fire extinguisher or a 10lb canoe skirt.

Of course by keeping water out, the ability to potentially right your canoe after capsizing is the very point of a spray skirt in the first place; which hopefully doesn't betray that my real reason for waffling on getting one for my Mackenzie is cost.

Aerodynamics and even potential transport fuel savings are also very cool points.

Ultimately I question also why I would be in seas big enough that I'd need a spray skirt to paddle in the first place? I think this is what kayaks are for, what they lack in paddling comfort, payload, versatility and weight displacement, they gain in performance against winds, waves and speed. Exactly the conditions that canoes should be on shore in.
We're not competent enough to go out in conditions where we need a spraydeck. It's just to widen our margin of safety should something unexpected happen. I've been very glad to have it, even though we might have capsized just the one time if we didn't have it. Especially since it's only this year that we haven't had a child as a third occupant of the canoe. Like the time you went with us out toward Sail Rock off the Broken Group. That's the sort of place where I like having a spraydeck, even if we weren't shipping water.

I'm not so sure about the fuel savings when transporting the canoe. The air moves up over the car by filling the canoe and then coming down out the back of the canoe. Using a spraydeck would make the canoe one big lump and would block the air. This would also create strong lifting forces under the front of the canoe. We notice mileage increases when carrying an open canoe on suv's, but a mileage penalty when carrying it on a car.
post #13 of (permalink) Old 07-17-2013, 10:17 PM
Summit Master

ya, admittedly I could have used a skirt twice on my last trip, both times when heading for shore anyway too.
post #14 of (permalink) Old 07-18-2013, 01:44 PM
High on the Mountain Top

I'll echo sgRant's comments about the spraydeck being a welcome addition to the safety margin. I fully accept and manage the inherent risk in all activities, rather well I fancy as I've never had a really full-on scary "is this how I die?" moment despite have done plenty of trips beyond the daytrip crowd. (Touches wood with feeling.)
But I really don't want to die. Cumulative square yards of skin, gallons of blood and assorted sprains and bruises are ok by me, just not all at once, or capsized far from shore in freezing water and gear floating away.

A spraydeck just adds so much confidence in making a desired camp despite the wind coming up stronger and earlier than you expected. As well it has all the other benefits, especially the aerodynamic improvement when paddling. I think it adds a good 20% to our speed into the wind.

I still need to try out my idea of unlashing the rear half and holding it vertical with a found pole as a mast. A held rope to the tip of the spray deck over a slip arrangement so you can dump the sail in hurry onto and behind the bow person who then gathers and controls it. A spar across the gunnels to take the pull, so it's not pulling on a single lash point.
Within 45 degrees or so of downwind only, of course, a canoe hull is so far from a good starting point for a sailboat that the sailing rigs seem a little silly to me. Just get a sailing dingy if that's what you want!

When driving, the buffeting and noise are perceptibly reduced, that should mean lower drag as well but I can't verify that with measured FE. The key to rigging for transport is a rope from bow to stern outside the spraydeck, looping inside at every opening and around a thwart or seat so as to pull the spraydeck into the canoe.
post #15 of (permalink) Old 07-18-2013, 09:54 PM
Summit Master

To get back on topic for just a moment, Jeff, you might contact Western Canoeing and Kayaking in Abbotsford to see if they have any used spraydecks. I think they sometimes have some, or they may know someone willing to rent one.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page