Something similar to Bowron Lake Canoe Circuit - Page 2 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of (permalink) Old 07-05-2013, 01:03 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Don't let the stats on Murtle Lake scare you. It is a very big lake, and most parties head for and stay in the West Arm.

Even in the West Arm, there is a good chance you will have your choice of campsites.

Lots of campsites to choose from (some on islands, some on nice sandy beaches, some on pebble beaches)

If you head into the North Arm, you will likely see no-one.

Some good hiking options also. . . Central Mountain from the West Arm, Wavy Range from the North Arm.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of (permalink) Old 07-05-2013, 01:34 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Spending time with my man and family, relaxing with good friends and good food, hiking, paddling,

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by g_mouse
[I am thinking about end of August/start of September mostly to make sure that it will not be crowded (and I cannot do it in July - for sure).
Nation Lakes is never busy or crowded. We went 5 days before we say anybody when we went. Chuchi Lake is when you will have the biggest chance of encountering other people and motorized boats. When we did the trip Doug French (the fellow that did our shuttle and lives at the end of Chuchi Lake) told us that 20 small canoe groups per year is about average. I think that's less than what goes out in a day on the Bowron's.

Cheers!
post #18 of (permalink) Old 07-05-2013, 05:31 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Interest: diving sailing hiking

You can take a look at the Nanika/Kidprice lake circuit near Houston BC. It is an in and out trip the few Portages are short the Nanika falls is awesome and there should hardly be anyone around. Easy in and out in 5 days.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of (permalink) Old 07-07-2013, 08:10 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by alexcanuck

Another vote for Murtle.
We've done it a few times so this year I think it will be Nation Lakes, but if you've never been to Murtle put it high on the list.
No portages! None! Yet the lake is big enough to spend at least a week at.
Saw your post from 2011 about sharing the shuttle cost, you were planning the trip to Nation Lakes on the Labour Day weekend. Now you have mentioned this year and I would like to know if you are still interested in that proposition (sharing the shuttle cost). I am thinking about end of August/start of September mostly to make sure that it will not be crowded (and I cannot do it in July - for sure).
Nation Lakes is almost certainly on, starting from Vancouver August 30.

However, after Blucruisin's description of the river currents, we're not doing the upstream direction! Floating down a river on high alert for obstacles, jumping out once in a while to assist and short portages are one thing, hours of desperate paddling gaining only inches per stroke and additional hours of lining the boat is quite another. I'd tackle it solo (in the right boat) or with a partner as strong as myself, but I kind of like my wife and want to keep her so we go downstream!
post #20 of (permalink) Old 07-07-2013, 08:30 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Re Murtle Lake busyness:

We've been there once on the August long weekend plus an extra day, and it was busy but not at all overloaded. Twice for a week starting one day before the Labour Day weekend, fairly busy when we arrived but the whole lake emptied out over the weekend, and it was downright lonesome. Two groups at a camp that could comfortably hold 10 or more.
post #21 of (permalink) Old 07-07-2013, 09:56 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Hiking, UL Backpacking, canoeing, snowshoeing

There's also the Bonaparte Lake circuit which is west of Barriere, north of Kamloops. A few cabins along the route apparently.
post #22 of (permalink) Old 06-06-2014, 03:43 PM Thread Starter
Scaling New Heights

Quote:
d) Broughton Archipelago - this is very tempting because it's open water. I quickly went through your trip report and will do it again later in a slow motion, as soon as I finish collecting information about Nation Lakes - it seems to be very interesting destination as well!
Time passed by fast. So, last year I went to Bowron in June and Murtle Sept/Oct and both places are gorgeous. Will definitely repeat trip to Murtle this year right before the park closes - at that time I saw there just several people. And Nation Lakes will have to wait till next summer ...

Now I am thinking about 7-10 day solo trip to Broughton Archipelago in the third week of July. My main concern for now is how crowded that place will be in July?
post #23 of (permalink) Old 06-06-2014, 08:55 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: Hiking, backpacking, mountaineering, climbing, kayaking, skiing, swimming, biking, roadtrips to new and wonderful areas. Rainy day activities are gardening, reading, cooking, Volleyball, indoor climbing

I am looking for paddling partners as I have most summer off and would like to do at least a one week trips kayaking somewhere. Broughtons, deer group, spanish group. Maybe we could get a group together ? have done several week long kayaking trips before.
post #24 of (permalink) Old 06-10-2014, 11:59 AM Thread Starter
Scaling New Heights

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by lofty

I am looking for paddling partners as I have most summer off and would like to do at least a one week trips kayaking somewhere. Broughtons, deer group, spanish group. Maybe we could get a group together ? have done several week long kayaking trips before.
Actually, this is a great idea. But speaking about the trip I am planning at the end of July I guess I would rather do it solo this time ;-(
post #25 of (permalink) Old 08-26-2014, 05:04 PM Thread Starter
Scaling New Heights

Quote:
Now I am thinking about 7-10 day solo trip to Broughton Archipelago in the third week of July. My main concern for now is how crowded that place will be in July?
No, it was not crowded at all. 7 nights passed by very quickly, there was no a single rain (the total amount of water spent over that time was around 25-28 liters), the weather was great, some places had a lot of mosquitoes, some absolutely not (that's a total mystery to me, may be it depends on the types of the trees growing around - I saw zero mosquitoes in the red cedar forest (If I correctly identified those trees)), the famous Kwakwaka'waka village of Mamalilaculla is covered by high bushes (taller than I am, seems to be raspberry-canes) without possibility to go through with lots of bear poo around:

That's really interesting because I saw the pictures of the same place taken in 2013:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bcvacation/11958316425/

and the place looked totally different.
Special thanks go to the gentleman whom I met on Village Island and who kindly let me "photocopy" his map - it made a huge difference to the whole trip, making it more comfortable and safe.

---
Now I begin to wonder about National Lakes. Would it be a good idea to go there in the middle/end of September? How crowded it will be and what kind of weather should I expect? Just thinking aloud...
post #26 of (permalink) Old 08-26-2014, 11:24 PM
Summit Master

nice thread and has me wondering about a multi day canoe trip too
post #27 of (permalink) Old 08-27-2014, 03:36 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Spending time with my man and family, relaxing with good friends and good food, hiking, paddling,

Quote:
quote: Now I begin to wonder about National Lakes. Would it be a good idea to go there in the middle/end of September? How crowded it will be and what kind of weather should I expect? Just thinking aloud...
Nation Lakes is NOT crowded in the least. Doug French from Chuchi Lake (he did our shuttle) told us that at most he sees 20 to 25 canoe groups in the whole season. They send out more than that in one day at the Bowrons.

Dru recently went and posted a TR. (https://www.clubtread.com/sforum/topi...TOPIC_ID=63418). And there is my TR too (https://www.clubtread.com/sforum/topi...TOPIC_ID=41150) Neither of us of saw much for other paddlers. If you want a trip without crowds this is definitely it. That being said, it may change during hunting season (my boss goes hunting around Chuchi each fall).

Cheers!

post #28 of (permalink) Old 08-27-2014, 03:37 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Aqua Terra

has me wondering about a multi day canoe trip too
And I know of one that is coming up for you and Spunky to go on! (hint,hint!)
post #29 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2015, 03:05 AM Thread Starter
Scaling New Heights

New summer is on the horizon. I guess I have only two items left on the list that has been created from the suggestions of the posters of the thread - Nation Lakes and Yukon. Recently I was looking at the Yukon related options and found this - "Self guided Yukon options:

http://upnorthadventures.com/yukon-s...river-options/

Looks really interesting, but there is not enough information plus I really struggle with the logistics of the trip.

Ideally I would like to come to Whitehorse or Carmacks by car with my own kayak and all gear and kayak to Dawson City. Depending on the departure point it would be 400-700 km one way trip.

Should it be a solo trip? So far, all trips mentioned in this tread were solo trips, but the longest one was just 11 days. Therefore, at the moment, I am simply not sure what to think - most likely the kind of trip from Whitehorse to Dawson City can be a really boring solo experience. Regarding the complexity of the trip - there are only two dangerous (ok, may be I should say "required special attention and careful consideration" - as a matter of fact, I simply don't know yet ) places, the rest should be relatively easy and fast (due to the current but easy because lots of people with different level of training went this path), but I still think I can manage it on my own.

The biggest problem with logistics is how to return back from Dawson City to Whitehorse for example - with the kayak and all gear, to the place where I am going to leave my car. If one hires a transportation company, he is looking at 990$ (and it means from Whitehorse to Dawson City - but what if I want to go from Dawson City to Whitehorse? ) :

http://upnorthadventures.com/transpo...out-the-yukon/

I understand that this is a big distance - 550 km, but still 1 thousand is 1 thousand. Then may be I just should rent a kayak in Whitehorse for 400$, leave it in Dawson City (there should be their agent) and travel back to Whitehorse with all my gear using a Husky Bus (they allow 2 big backpacks that should be enough) for 99$:

http://www.huskybus.ca/index.php?sitelang=EN&page=2

There are things that should be thought over yet, in other words I am not sure.

---
Nation Lakes - everything seems to be easy in terms of logistics of the trip. My only concern would be the number of unpassable log jams because that would immediately mean portaging. While it is not a problem for short distances (but still it depends) in case of a really big log jam that can be a problem (yes, I don't like doing that and would try to avoid by any means). My guess is that I should contact Doug French from Chuchi Lake and ask if he has any info about this potential problem. Other than that I don't see any things that can unexpectedly complicate the trip.
post #30 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2015, 11:51 AM
Dru
Super Moderator

Interest: climbing and spraying

None of the log jams on the Nation River last year would be an impassible obstacle for a solo paddler to portage around.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page