East Canyon Trail and/or Backwoods Camping - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-26-2012, 07:11 AM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Default East Canyon Trail and/or Backwoods Camping

I'm going to head out tonight (after work, hence the late departure) on my bike and stow in at Golden Ears for the night. Apparently the regular campground is unusually full. If I wind up outta luck for a proper spot, how advisable is it to continue on to the east canyon trail and hide out in the forest (no trace camping, of course)?

I'm riding a hard tail with road tires. It manages gravel trail alright, but couldn't do roots and river rock. Also, I might only have about an hour of daylight left by the time I get to the trailhead.

If none of that is feasible, anybody know of an alternate spot in the park?

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-26-2012, 10:42 AM
Headed for the Mountains

You should only camp in the designated camping spots.

That being said, at 6.5km you will find a spot to ditch your bike and cross the river to an unofficial camping spot that should be accessible if the river isn't too high. If you choose not to cross, at about 8km there is an excellent hidden clearing right on the path/river, depending on erosion.

Along the way are a few fishing holes you might be able to hit.

I love that trail,esp at 12km or so where you are surrounded by big old trees. Have fun!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-26-2012, 11:30 AM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by gdichasaz

You should only camp in the designated camping spots.
Yes, I absolutely understand that. I'm not lighting any fires, not bringing liquor, I carry out what I carry in, I'm not looking to trample off trail etc. The beach you mentioned sounds more along the lines of what I was looking for.

Thanks for the tip. I do hope to get in somewhere on the up and up but apparently golden ears has only opened 1 and a half of its 3 campsite areas. I don't blame them given cutbacks, but I didn't want to lose out on a rare chance to camp.

Thank you again
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-26-2012, 11:34 AM
High on the Mountain Top

There are plenty of 'unofficial' campsites along the river where you can camp without fear of hurting anything. If you have a headlamp and aren't afraid of the boogy man, it's an easy trail to hike at night, so you should be able to get quite far in.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-26-2012, 11:57 AM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Kid Charlemagne

There are plenty of 'unofficial' campsites along the river where you can camp without fear of hurting anything. If you have a headlamp and aren't afraid of the boogy man, it's an easy trail to hike at night, so you should be able to get quite far in.
That's what I like to hear. I'll be on my bike which has two headlights and my own headlamp. I've lived here for nearly 20 years, been up alouette, golden ears and all around the beaches but I never heard of this trail. Nice to find something new.

Might need a bear bell or something given the season, now that I think about it.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-26-2012, 09:54 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Looking forward to your report. I'm hoping to do what you doing right quick. If I didnt work is weekend, I would have joined you.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-27-2012, 10:22 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

ended up getting a spot in the campground. Tried the trail in the morning but once I hit the river rock I realized I should have brought my proper MTB tires to swap at the trail head. Plus my lady was riding road tires with clipless pedals and bailed a few times. After that we surrendered and just turned around and rode the roads for a while.

We did briefly run into some MTBers on the East Canyon trail that were friendly enough but ominously glared at our loaded bike and skinny tires.They knew we were bound to have to turn back, I think, haha.

Since I didn't really do any significant exploring I don't think it merits a proper trip report, but here's some photos for those that were curious.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page