Vanfondo Ride - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-01-2012, 03:30 PM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Having Fun!
Default Vanfondo Ride

Join us May 12, 2012! Registration is a $10.00 or more donation to Canuck Place!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-01-2012, 06:08 PM
Banned

I like it, Dave. Good times! Oh wait, isn't Comor one of your sponsors? It's for a good cause, Canuck Place, way more worthy than Enbridge.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-01-2012, 07:40 PM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

Yes they are a sponsor but none of this money is going to me infact it is costing us a lot of money for a good cause of course...you going to be there? I will be mcing!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-01-2012, 09:42 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: adventure racing, hiking, backpacking, climbing/bouldering, mountain biking, falling over as i learn to downhill and cross-country ski, photography

I have to say I'm with you Tzoflier. I brought this up before..but got shot down....but why does Norona get to self-promote on this site when it's clearly against the rules?

It's pretty shameless. And blah blah blah yes it's for charity yes it's for avalanche safety....BULLSHIT. It's self-promotion either way. You can promote avalanche safety without plastering G3 over everything.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-01-2012, 11:12 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: cycling

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by booewen

...but why does Norona get to self-promote on this site....
You sound like a child. "why does HE get to...??" *whine*

You can too. Get involved with a charity and post it up. Go ahead.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-02-2012, 01:14 AM
Summit Master

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by timv

Rotary Ride For Rescue June 9th - raise funds for North Shore Rescue and Rotary projects:
http://www.rotaryrideforrescue.org/

Clubtread team?

-Ryan
post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-02-2012, 08:37 AM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: adventure racing, hiking, backpacking, climbing/bouldering, mountain biking, falling over as i learn to downhill and cross-country ski, photography

Quote:

Quote:

Errr that's not whining...I'm pointing out that it is against the rules of the site that everyone else seems to respect except him. Go ahead, change the rules...and then which ever company fancies it can just start spamming the site with promotions.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-02-2012, 10:06 AM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Ryan.in.yaletown

Quote:

Rotary Ride For Rescue June 9th - raise funds for North Shore Rescue and Rotary projects:
http://www.rotaryrideforrescue.org/

Clubtread team?

-Ryan
Awesome Ryan!!!
post #9 of (permalink) Old 05-02-2012, 10:13 AM
Summit Master

Interest: Women

Keep up the great work Norona, and also keep up the good posts.

post #10 of (permalink) Old 05-02-2012, 01:31 PM
Summit Master

Quote:
Errr that's not whining...I'm pointing out that it is against the rules of the site that everyone else seems to respect except him. Go ahead, change the rules...and then which ever company fancies it can just start spamming the site with promotions.
You've made some good points. What about using the ignore feature? You won't miss anything.
post #11 of (permalink) Old 05-02-2012, 04:28 PM
Super Moderator

Interest: hiking, backpacking, scrambling, climbing

Quote:

Quote:

The point is not that HE gets to self-promote while others don't. The point is that officially, many of his posts are against the posted regulations for the forum, but no action is taken against him, and he basically gets a free pass to flout the guidelines. If the guidelines are not supposed to prevent him from posting what he posts, then perhaps they should be changed. Or they should be clarified to explain better what is and isn't acceptable.
I don't mind norona's posts. But it's not unreasonable or confrontational to call for some clarity on why the forum guidelines say one thing but the actions say another.
post #12 of (permalink) Old 05-02-2012, 09:54 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Location: Somewhere between pomp & circumstance, British Columbia, Canada.
Interest: Hmmmm?

Some good points made here, but I think that as a community, we can overlook the rules on this one considering two key points.....

He is not promoting his own interests, but rather a worthwhile charity.
One of our very own here on CT has been a recipient of said charity.

Of course big business will plaster their logo all over events like this, and why not..marketing is part of the fabric of humanity. We all have marketed ourselves, just without the logo. (Booewen, ya ever go on a date with someone you thought was a hottie? Guess what....all evening you were likely marketing yourself with wit, charm, and charisma, and hopefully it was real and not contrived or generated.)

If some of us were able to trade places for a few days with Jenn, I have no doubt we all would wish Dave would post more often about events such as this. Maybe some of the negative nellies should shut their pie-holes and participate in this event, and just be thankful they can.

I'll be there, and only because of this thread. If it wasn't for Dave, I wouldn't have known. Great venue, great cause. Now go sign up and focus on things that actually matter.
post #13 of (permalink) Old 05-03-2012, 10:51 AM
Off the Beaten Path

Haha, I do look like a bit a heartless soul posting this about a charity event. For the record, I don't have a problem with a post like this, it is for a good cause. I posted on this thread to back-up tzoflier.

However I brought up the point because ALL of norona's posts are self-serving. I wouldn't mind if it was trip reports and interesting discussion and the occasional post advertising and promoting a charity event.

The fact is it's 99% self-promotion disguised very thinly as community education and charity promotion.

Yes I could put him on ignore...but I was more bringing up the moral debate of everyone being treated equally because I do feel he gets special treatment with regards self-advertising on here.
post #14 of (permalink) Old 05-03-2012, 11:00 AM
Super Moderator

Interest: hiking, backpacking, scrambling, climbing

People are making a general point, not necessarily specifically related to this event. It's reasonable to question, even when a good cause is involved, and the points raised are calling back to the many other posts which don't have that excuse as well.
post #15 of (permalink) Old 05-04-2012, 10:07 AM
Headed for the Mountains

Laws are there to legitimize force when it becomes necessary not to be enforced every instance the law defines it as legitimate. Rules cast a wide net and enforcers are expected to use judgement.

The rule of no advertising empowers moderators to eliminate posts without being accused of censorship if said post is simply an advertisement. The enforcers here (moderators) are not robocop automatons, they exercise judgement. If the only argument being levelled is that they don't act on every legitimized instance for force, then I wonder if such an argument might seem any less absurd applied to jaywalking or posters in a "post no bills" area.

In this case, I find it at least distasteful to treat an advertisement for a bike-based charity event (being both relevant to the forum with bikes and a charity) as equivalent to advertisement for individually gainful commercial enterprise.

I think there may be some grey area if, for example, I advertised my own fundraising pub night for the ride to conquer cancer here since it's a somewhat selfish venture to reach my personal goal. This wasn't even that, it's just letting other cyclists on a cyclist-heavy forum know of an opportunity.
Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page