A Philosophical Question: Buy a kayak or laptop? - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-22-2012, 11:13 AM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Default A Philosophical Question: Buy a kayak or laptop?

I got a rather substantial tax return this year and was going to replace my laptop. But then last week I found a rental place selling off the Looksha 17 outfitter (I'm 6'5") for $1200 after being used for only a season.

Just to outline the stakes, I do actually use laptops beyond their novelty. I edit video, music, and I'm a student so I write papers on it regularly. Currently, my laptop can only do the latter and I have to use other people's to edit. I don't think I need to argue the case for the Kayak, touring in a kayak is awesome.

It is unlikely I'll have enough money to buy either again before I get my PhD (about 6 years out at this rate). What would you do? I'm rarely so torn over a decision.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-22-2012, 11:32 AM
Summit Master

Interest: Hiking, hunting, fishing, and many others.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Cherry Pirate

I got a rather substantial tax return this year and was going to replace my laptop. But then last week I found a rental place selling off the Looksha 17 outfitter (I'm 6'5") for $1200 after being used for only a season.

Just to outline the stakes, I do actually use laptops beyond their novelty. I edit video, music, and I'm a student so I write papers on it regularly. Currently, my laptop can only do the latter and I have to use other people's to edit. I don't think I need to argue the case for the Kayak, touring in a kayak is awesome.

It is unlikely I'll have enough money to buy either again before I get my PhD (about 6 years out at this rate). What would you do? I'm rarely so torn over a decision.
Buy used but newer model for laptop and more used for kayak.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-22-2012, 11:40 AM
High on the Mountain Top

For Kayak:
- A kayak will hold its value a lot better than a laptop.
- You already have a working laptop but you don't have a kayak.

For laptop:
- You will probably spend way more hours on the laptop.
- It's easy enough to rent a kayak.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-22-2012, 11:41 AM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Wildman

Buy used but newer model for laptop and more used for kayak.
I'm not sure I understand. Do you mean buy a kayak that has been used more and is thus cheaper?

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Steventy

For Kayak:
- A kayak will hold its value a lot better than a laptop.
- You already have a working laptop but you don't have a kayak.

For laptop:
- You will probably spend way more hours on the laptop.
- It's easy enough to rent a kayak.

Yeah that pretty well sums up my dilemma haha.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-22-2012, 02:19 PM
Scaling New Heights

I wouldn't buy a laptop if you can access a desktop at a workplace or some institution. Some of the new ipads and smartphones are incredible with the apps they can run and way more portable.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-22-2012, 03:26 PM
High on the Mountain Top

When Wildman says "Buy used but newer model for laptop and more used for kayak" I think he means find a good 1-2 year old laptop and a 10 year old kayak, getting both for the same price as either one of your original choices. I quite agree with that approach!
post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-22-2012, 05:25 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by pipestone

I wouldn't buy a laptop if you can access a desktop at a workplace or some institution. Some of the new ipads and smartphones are incredible with the apps they can run and way more portable.

Unfortunately this option wouldn't work for me or I would go for it. I work at a different job site everyday and can rarely make it to campus. I do have an amazing smartphone, but I can't do a research essay (well, I really wouldn't want to anyways haha) or edit hi def video and sound on it. I feel frustrated that my life kind of requires the level of expensive technology it does. I'm not a techie and would much rather own a kayak.

I guess the second hand option is a good idea for kayaks, but I have yet to find a good sea-touring kayak at a good price after looking around for about 2 years. I don't buy second-hand electronics unless I know the seller personally. It's far too easy to hide problems with digital devices.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 04-22-2012, 06:11 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: hiking on and off trails , maintaining certain trails. recumbent bike on log/mining roads, and KVR, and for excercise in absolute comfort.

I think the problem is finding a used kayak that fits later on maybe near impossible .Buy the Kayak.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 04-22-2012, 06:15 PM
Banned

Buy the boat. Get your advisor to buy you a computer.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 04-22-2012, 06:38 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Depends on how often are you going to use the kayak. You will most likely use a laptop more. If you're only gonna go out a few times this year- easier to just rent.
post #11 of (permalink) Old 04-22-2012, 09:15 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Hiking, hunting, fishing, and many others.

Doing some research of that kayak you want and the price new I can see why you have been looking so long to find a deal like this.
You may never find another deal like this ever.
If you want to be practical you do need the computer for school and when you want to go kayaking you can rent as others suggested if they rent those.
In 6 years or so when you get your PhD you will be able to get a good job and buy what ever you want at any price new for both a computer and kayak.

Use the computer and get your education out of the way and be picky and hold out for a good job and then the stars are the limit.

Provided nothing else comes along and derails your over all education and plans.

Like picking cherries.
post #12 of (permalink) Old 04-22-2012, 10:44 PM
Summit Master

Interest: hiking,swimming,anything on the water or outside.Try almost anything once

Kayak
post #13 of (permalink) Old 04-22-2012, 11:31 PM
Scaling New Heights

i found a good used kayak, necky chatham 17 that needed a little tlc for $500 after looking for less than a month. there are definitely deals to be had
post #14 of (permalink) Old 04-23-2012, 12:29 AM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: hiking is a private thing.

You will probably spend more time on the computer than kayak when you are doing your school. My suggestion would be to get a good computer with a better price unless you really need an apple and have a new affordable interest, like hiking swimming biking or backpacking.
post #15 of (permalink) Old 04-23-2012, 03:05 AM
High on the Mountain Top

I advise all people, (contrary to the mainstream advice of: buy as much computer power as you can), to never ever buy more computer power than you need.

Having said that, you already said you have enough power for your school work, so it's a purely recreational decision. Do you want to have your own computer for editing, or do you want a Kayak? Only you can answer that!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page