ClubTread Community

ClubTread Community (https://forums.clubtread.com/)
-   Paddling, Biking, and Other (https://forums.clubtread.com/18-paddling-biking-other/)
-   -   A Philosophical Question: Buy a kayak or laptop? (https://forums.clubtread.com/18-paddling-biking-other/41267-philosophical-question-buy-kayak-laptop.html)

Cherry Pirate 04-22-2012 11:13 AM

A Philosophical Question: Buy a kayak or laptop?

I got a rather substantial tax return this year and was going to replace my laptop. But then last week I found a rental place selling off the Looksha 17 outfitter (I'm 6'5") for $1200 after being used for only a season.

Just to outline the stakes, I do actually use laptops beyond their novelty. I edit video, music, and I'm a student so I write papers on it regularly. Currently, my laptop can only do the latter and I have to use other people's to edit. I don't think I need to argue the case for the Kayak, touring in a kayak is awesome.

It is unlikely I'll have enough money to buy either again before I get my PhD (about 6 years out at this rate). What would you do? I'm rarely so torn over a decision.

Wildman 04-22-2012 11:32 AM

Quote:

quote:Originally posted by Cherry Pirate

I got a rather substantial tax return this year and was going to replace my laptop. But then last week I found a rental place selling off the Looksha 17 outfitter (I'm 6'5") for $1200 after being used for only a season.

Just to outline the stakes, I do actually use laptops beyond their novelty. I edit video, music, and I'm a student so I write papers on it regularly. Currently, my laptop can only do the latter and I have to use other people's to edit. I don't think I need to argue the case for the Kayak, touring in a kayak is awesome.

It is unlikely I'll have enough money to buy either again before I get my PhD (about 6 years out at this rate). What would you do? I'm rarely so torn over a decision.
Buy used but newer model for laptop and more used for kayak.

Steventy 04-22-2012 11:40 AM

For Kayak:
- A kayak will hold its value a lot better than a laptop.
- You already have a working laptop but you don't have a kayak.

For laptop:
- You will probably spend way more hours on the laptop.
- It's easy enough to rent a kayak.

Cherry Pirate 04-22-2012 11:41 AM

Quote:

quote:Originally posted by Wildman

Buy used but newer model for laptop and more used for kayak.
I'm not sure I understand. Do you mean buy a kayak that has been used more and is thus cheaper?

Quote:

quote:Originally posted by Steventy

For Kayak:
- A kayak will hold its value a lot better than a laptop.
- You already have a working laptop but you don't have a kayak.

For laptop:
- You will probably spend way more hours on the laptop.
- It's easy enough to rent a kayak.

Yeah that pretty well sums up my dilemma haha.

pipestone 04-22-2012 02:19 PM

I wouldn't buy a laptop if you can access a desktop at a workplace or some institution. Some of the new ipads and smartphones are incredible with the apps they can run and way more portable.

alexcanuck 04-22-2012 03:26 PM

When Wildman says "Buy used but newer model for laptop and more used for kayak" I think he means find a good 1-2 year old laptop and a 10 year old kayak, getting both for the same price as either one of your original choices. I quite agree with that approach!

Cherry Pirate 04-22-2012 05:25 PM

Quote:

quote:Originally posted by pipestone

I wouldn't buy a laptop if you can access a desktop at a workplace or some institution. Some of the new ipads and smartphones are incredible with the apps they can run and way more portable.

Unfortunately this option wouldn't work for me or I would go for it. I work at a different job site everyday and can rarely make it to campus. I do have an amazing smartphone, but I can't do a research essay (well, I really wouldn't want to anyways haha) or edit hi def video and sound on it. I feel frustrated that my life kind of requires the level of expensive technology it does. I'm not a techie and would much rather own a kayak.

I guess the second hand option is a good idea for kayaks, but I have yet to find a good sea-touring kayak at a good price after looking around for about 2 years. I don't buy second-hand electronics unless I know the seller personally. It's far too easy to hide problems with digital devices.

brucew 04-22-2012 06:11 PM

I think the problem is finding a used kayak that fits later on maybe near impossible .Buy the Kayak.

Eryne 04-22-2012 06:15 PM

Buy the boat. Get your advisor to buy you a computer.

wildtrekker 04-22-2012 06:38 PM

Depends on how often are you going to use the kayak. You will most likely use a laptop more. If you're only gonna go out a few times this year- easier to just rent.

Wildman 04-22-2012 09:15 PM

Doing some research of that kayak you want and the price new I can see why you have been looking so long to find a deal like this.
You may never find another deal like this ever.
If you want to be practical you do need the computer for school and when you want to go kayaking you can rent as others suggested if they rent those.
In 6 years or so when you get your PhD you will be able to get a good job and buy what ever you want at any price new for both a computer and kayak.

Use the computer and get your education out of the way and be picky and hold out for a good job and then the stars are the limit.

Provided nothing else comes along and derails your over all education and plans.

Like picking cherries.

no quitting 04-22-2012 10:44 PM

Kayak :)

glomeruli 04-22-2012 11:31 PM

i found a good used kayak, necky chatham 17 that needed a little tlc for $500 after looking for less than a month. there are definitely deals to be had

KISBOO 04-23-2012 12:29 AM

You will probably spend more time on the computer than kayak when you are doing your school. My suggestion would be to get a good computer with a better price unless you really need an apple and have a new affordable interest, like hiking swimming biking or backpacking. :D

DCIPHER 04-23-2012 03:05 AM

I advise all people, (contrary to the mainstream advice of: buy as much computer power as you can), to never ever buy more computer power than you need.

Having said that, you already said you have enough power for your school work, so it's a purely recreational decision. Do you want to have your own computer for editing, or do you want a Kayak? Only you can answer that!