A Philosophical Question: Buy a kayak or laptop? - Page 3 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of (permalink) Old 04-24-2012, 08:12 AM
Scaling New Heights

You should see if the dealer does instalments or at least hold the kayak as you pay it off. Personally I would've leaned towards the kayak, and buy a used iPad or other tablet, but I'm not writing research papers or compiling/running models in Python or C++. I just think a kayak will be rewarding every time you go out.

The other thing to consider is equipment. You'll also need to buy paddle float, paddles, throw bag, PFD, pump, etc. That's going to push the initial investment up.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of (permalink) Old 04-24-2012, 10:05 AM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: Hiking, backpacking, sea kayaking, snowshoeing, and crazy carpeting

The other thing to consider is that buying a kayak is only the beginning, you will then have significant outlay in terms of other gear to buy. Don't get me wrong, I love kayaking. We have three and do a lot of trips. But for many years living in Vancouver it was much more practical for me to rent a kayak for trips. I was also a member of the kayaking fleet at Locarno Sailing club at Jericho Sailing Centre. They provide great value and lessons, and the equipment is at the ready right on the beach.

Once you have your kayak, you will need a pdf, paddle, buoyant heaving line, whistle, bailing pump. These are the coast guard mandated equipment. Then you will need immersion gear. The typical lower cost setup for this is a 3mm farmer john and a splash jacket, with appropriate thermal layers underneath. Then you will need a roof rack and cradles, which can run almost as much as the kayak itself! You can find some of this stuff used, but nevertheless, you will need it.
post #33 of (permalink) Old 04-24-2012, 11:03 AM
Dru
Super Moderator

Interest: climbing and spraying

I just finished a 6-year PhD, so hopefully my opinion will be valid. In a way it's like I'm your future self giving you advice.

6 years ago I spent nearly $2000 on a high-end laptop. Everything I needed to do on my thesis, I did on that laptop. Now it's done, the laptop is almost due to retire, and I can get better performance for under $1000.

Buy the laptop. You can get a kayak anytime, and you can rent until you can afford to buy. There's no reason you have to buy the kayak now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of (permalink) Old 04-24-2012, 12:30 PM
Super Moderator

Interest: hiking, backpacking, scrambling, climbing

It never makes sense to buy the top-of-the-line electronics. Let the early adopters spend their money to work out the kinks. Suggesting you buy a little ahead is a far cry from suggesting you spend on the most expensive thing out there.
But people regularly seem to move up in what they need. My parents keep buying a computer that satisfies what they are looking for, and within a year it's so loaded up it takes a minute to open a document.
I suggest buying a little ahead of what you need. Look at your current needs, and then expect that in two years, you're going to want more power for the same needs - let alone if you expect extra more needs.
By buying a little extra than I needed, I have used the same laptop for 5 years now, with the only problem being the need for a new battery some 6 months ago. I am thinking I might replace it for something faster in the next bit, but if so, I can still sell it / give it away for someone who has simpler needs.
But then, it's also a concern for me to try to stretch out the use of a computer, since I can't really justify throwing one in the garbage every year, money aside.
post #35 of (permalink) Old 04-24-2012, 01:15 PM
Scaling New Heights

In retrospect to my last comment - I guess the other thing is it's not uncommon to find a decent deal on a kayak. It just takes some looking around and research. I'd recommend looking at the Ecomarine and Rocky Point price lists at the end of the season and winter.

The other thing you could do, as someone mentioned earlier, is rent. Buy the PFD, and paddles and rent the rest. I'd then invest the money in getting kayak lessons (capsize, intro etc) and navigational/currents/weather courses under your belt... which are not cheap either but I think far more valuable than a kayak.

Random thoughts
post #36 of (permalink) Old 04-24-2012, 04:40 PM
Off the Beaten Path

kayak will last far longer
post #37 of (permalink) Old 04-24-2012, 05:56 PM
Headed for the Mountains

I would: 1. Get the laptop I want. 2. Do some extra consulting or tutoring work. 3. Buy the kayak I want.

post #38 of (permalink) Old 04-26-2012, 11:42 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

When I posted this, I never thought I would get the depth of reply I got. I went back and forth several times, and at the end of the day, my decision was made off a list of points made here. Thank you so much, I genuinely appreciated the input.

A few questions factored in that were brought up here. I had to consider exactly what about the laptop was necessity and what was simply luxury. I had to think what was more reasonable to be found at the same or better price in the future (i.e., which one was more immediate). It came down to a few major points and since I already involved you all I thought I should note the major points and answer some good points:

1. First, I did want to note that this wasn't just in the class of the kayak I had wanted for 2 years, it was the exact kayak and I had used it the prior year for several hours and enjoyed it. That weighed heavily.
2. The laptop, as much as I resent its video ability, does what I need for next few years of school. I edit video and I music as hobbies, but during my BA I had no time for it and probably once I get into a grad school will have even less time. It writes papers and loads research papers.
3. This is a big one: Laptops get amazing open box deals all the time and I have tech saavy friend that get the newest thing and sell off their old computers. The odds are better I'm going to find a good deal for the same power rather than buying a computer full price. It's feasible I could save money over the summer.
4. I'm tall as shit. Tall kayaks are more rare.
5. This was from rocky kayal (as someone noted) and it included a self-rescue course which made it all the better deal.
6. Finally, as some of you noted, the gear is pricey. But, since I am graduating this semester my family (who wanted to help me get a kayak as a gift) agreed to buy me much of the basic gear.

So I got the laptop.

J/k, obviously not, pics below.
post #39 of (permalink) Old 04-27-2012, 03:11 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Cherry Pirate

When I posted this, I never thought I would get the depth of reply I got. I went back and forth several times, and at the end of the day, my decision was made off a list of points made here. Thank you so much, I genuinely appreciated the input.

A few questions factored in that were brought up here. I had to consider exactly what about the laptop was necessity and what was simply luxury. I had to think what was more reasonable to be found at the same or better price in the future (i.e., which one was more immediate). It came down to a few major points and since I already involved you all I thought I should note the major points and answer some good points:

1. First, I did want to note that this wasn't just in the class of the kayak I had wanted for 2 years, it was the exact kayak and I had used it the prior year for several hours and enjoyed it. That weighed heavily.
2. The laptop, as much as I resent its video ability, does what I need for next few years of school. I edit video and I music as hobbies, but during my BA I had no time for it and probably once I get into a grad school will have even less time. It writes papers and loads research papers.
3. This is a big one: Laptops get amazing open box deals all the time and I have tech saavy friend that get the newest thing and sell off their old computers. The odds are better I'm going to find a good deal for the same power rather than buying a computer full price. It's feasible I could save money over the summer.
4. I'm tall as shit. Tall kayaks are more rare.
5. This was from rocky kayal (as someone noted) and it included a self-rescue course which made it all the better deal.
6. Finally, as some of you noted, the gear is pricey. But, since I am graduating this semester my family (who wanted to help me get a kayak as a gift) agreed to buy me much of the basic gear.

So I got the laptop.

Congrats. Your reasoning seems sound to me. No matter what, at least you can say you considered the matter carefully!

post #40 of (permalink) Old 04-27-2012, 08:16 AM
High on the Mountain Top

If you're going to be using it on land, maybe you should have gone with the laptop.
post #41 of (permalink) Old 04-27-2012, 11:51 AM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Marko

If you're going to be using it on land, maybe you should have gone with the laptop.
Hahahahaha

nice to start the day with a belly laugh.
post #42 of (permalink) Old 04-27-2012, 02:50 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:

I think your mind was already made up from the outset when you posted your question on a outdoor activities forum and not a technology and electronics forum.

Good choice though. Nobody looks back on their time and goes "remember that time I was sitting in front of my laptop for the evening, were did we put the photos from that, that was so amazing".

post #43 of (permalink) Old 04-27-2012, 03:06 PM
Summit Master

He'll still need a laptop to edit the photos of his Kayak trips
post #44 of (permalink) Old 04-27-2012, 11:53 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by leimrod

I think your mind was already made up from the outset when you posted your question on a outdoor activities forum and not a technology and electronics forum.

Actually when I posted this my mind was made up... to get the laptop. The point of asking here was simply to see if there was anything I hadn't thought of, but don't underestimate the excitement of a new laptop. People did not disappoint, and they brought up stuff I had not considered. I really started to tip the other way at that one reply that mentioned finding a boat that fit someone like me might be hard.

But, yeah, like you said, what life-enriching experience was an intel 7 chip going to honestly bring?

P.S., any suggestions on how to attach a small flag to the back? I've always wanted a jolly roger on a kayak.
post #45 of (permalink) Old 04-28-2012, 01:24 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: Exploring, hiking, scrambling

Quote:

Excellent call. Congrats & happy ventures!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page