When I posted this, I never thought I would get the depth of reply I got. I went back and forth several times, and at the end of the day, my decision was made off a list of points made here. Thank you so much, I genuinely appreciated the input.
A few questions factored in that were brought up here. I had to consider exactly what about the laptop was necessity and what was simply luxury. I had to think what was more reasonable to be found at the same or better price in the future (i.e., which one was more immediate). It came down to a few major points and since I already involved you all I thought I should note the major points and answer some good points:
1. First, I did want to note that this wasn't just in the class of the kayak I had wanted for 2 years, it was the exact kayak and I had used it the prior year for several hours and enjoyed it. That weighed heavily.
2. The laptop, as much as I resent its video ability, does what I need for next few years of school. I edit video and I music as hobbies, but during my BA I had no time for it and probably once I get into a grad school will have even less time. It writes papers and loads research papers.
3. This is a big one: Laptops get amazing open box deals all the time and I have tech saavy friend that get the newest thing and sell off their old computers. The odds are better I'm going to find a good deal for the same power rather than buying a computer full price. It's feasible I could save money over the summer.
4. I'm tall as shit. Tall kayaks are more rare.
5. This was from rocky kayal (as someone noted) and it included a self-rescue course which made it all the better deal.
6. Finally, as some of you noted, the gear is pricey. But, since I am graduating this semester my family (who wanted to help me get a kayak as a gift) agreed to buy me much of the basic gear.
So I got the laptop.
J/k, obviously not, pics below.