Tripping in a Clipper Scout?? - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-03-2012, 10:37 AM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Default Tripping in a Clipper Scout??

Hi
I am looking for some feedback from anyone out there with some canoe experience. I have read all the write ups on clipper's line up of boats but didn't really draw a lot of info from their page.

I currently own an ultralight clipper scout which i bought to use as a mostly recreational boat often paddled solo. I absolutely enjoy the boat and the ease at which I can handle it on my own yet still spend the day out with another person.
My wife is starting to take some interest in doing short overnight trips and eventually working up to a longer one (Bowron Lakes). I think this boat should be fine for overnighter's and even a 3-4 day trip since we would not be to concerned about the pace at which we would travel. I have done the Bowron Loop a few years ago in a Kevlar Swift Kipawa so I know what its like to paddle a proper tripping canoe and I must admit the Swift did cruise along quite nicely. In a group of 8 boats we were often the ones out front without having to work to hard at it.

My questions are--
Am I setting myself and my wife up for a major disappointment by trying to take the Scout on a trip such as the Bowron Lakes?
Will it become like trying to paddle the Titanic into a head wind?
Can it handle the load of multi day tripping?
Am I overlooking anything else [?]

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-03-2012, 02:02 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Spending time with my man and family, relaxing with good friends and good food, hiking, paddling,

If you are concerned about the load in the scout and how much your wife may enjoy the Bowron's then you may want to consider renting a larger canoe more suited to tripping such as a prospector. The prospector is definitely more suited to tripping than the scout and is easy to handle fully loaded and in a head wind. Also it is still easy to manouver when fully loaded.

My introduction to tripping was the Bowron's in a prospector (Hellman) and have absolutely fallen in love with it. Since then we have tripped in the Yukon on the Teslin and Yukon rivers and have done the Nation Lakes route. We rented our canoe from Becker's (good gear but the owner is a bit of a jerk).

Cheers!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-03-2012, 05:53 PM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

I realize there are other canoes available for rent that are designed specifically for trips like the bowron lake circuit but it would be nice to have some great memories in my own canoe. This is why I was asking about the scout specifically. I will rent or borrow another one if tripping in the scout is not realistic.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-03-2012, 07:31 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Why don't you try loading your canoe with all the gear you expect to take (or equivalent weight) and paddle it with some headwind and waves?

We did the Bowron Lakes in a 17 ft canoe years ago, and it worked great. The only drawback was that we ended up taking a bunch of gear from our friends who had 15 ft canoes and were getting swamped by waves cause they were sitting so low in the water.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-03-2012, 07:32 PM
Headed for the Mountains

No
No
Yes
I'm gonna say that it would be fine.

Of course take it out for several shorter trips and you'll quickly see what can and can't go.
Once gear is taken care of, extra days only add four pounds of food per day.

Paddle early to avoid wind and waves.
Practice to avoid any surprises.
Trim your kit to take only what you really need.
Pamper your wife with everything you got!

Is your boat a kevlar cobalt layup? Just curious from the picture.

Canoeheadted
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-03-2012, 07:58 PM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Hey CanoeheadTed and others that have commented

Thank you so much for the info. I really wanted to use my own boat and that sounds like very sound advice. I will get out for some shorter trips and see how it handles under load. I am sure a longer boat like a Tripper or a Jensen or a prospector would be better suited to a longer trip but I don't have one of those at the moment. Maybe one day I will. This boat works great for my primary needs at the moment which are mostly day trips and fishing. The boat lay up is actually Basalt with Fiberglass reinforcement- it was a bit of a guinea pig so to speak. With the extras such as the molded yoke and the web seats it weighs the same as the ultralight model. I have actually paddled a number of different models over the years (right from an aluminum Grumman to a fiberglass "tank" and a few different Kevlar models) but without testing them back to back in similar circumstances its tough to know what to expect for the long haul. Once the trip or shall I say trips happen I will do my best to post the results in the form of trip reports since I am sure there are other "recreational" canoe owners out there that may be interested to know what could be done in a rec boat and just how much work it really is.

On a side note--- Happy new year to all and I cant wait for some great paddling weather!
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-03-2012, 10:00 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Thanks for the correction. Not too sure where Cobalt came from. [:I]

Look forward to the trip reports.

Canoeheadted
post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-10-2012, 03:33 PM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

So now that I have decided to just try some light tripping in my scout. I need to decide where. Here in lies the challenge. My whole plan here is to get my wife out with me and she has never done anything quite like this. I am trying to plan a shorter trip somewhere in the neighborhood of 2 nights and 3 days. I can manage to knock this out on my regular days off with out having to use my vacation pay and it would make for a manageable length for her as a first trip. I have done the Bowron circuit in the past but it is quite structured and there is plenty of information on it so planning is simple. I would like to find something not to far from the lower mainland since time is short and we would have to drive and paddle on the first and last days. I am reaching out to others that have done something similar and can offer up some guidance. I know canoeheadted may have some insight here but others please feel free to chime in as well. I would love to hear about a location, campsite recommendations and approx distances as well as any other relative information. I am eyeballing Murtle lake somewhat at this point.

My experience- as mentioned is Bowron but also many other lakes in Northern Ontario mostly for fishing purposes. Some light flat river travel in canoe but some rafting experience while a member with S.A.R.

My wifes experience- About a half dozen short 1-2 km afternoon paddles on beautiful summer days (except one hail storm that I still hear about. LOL).

I really want this to be a fun and memorable experience for her since I always enjoy myself while in a canoe no matter what the weather or conditions are.

Thank you in advance for any and all contributions.
Shawn
post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-10-2012, 03:36 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: SEA KAYAKING HIKING FISHING

there have been trip reports about the Powell River Canoe Circuit posted on Clubtread. Give that a search...
post #10 of (permalink) Old 03-10-2012, 04:46 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Powell River is a great destination, but the canoe circuit is too long for your time-frame and has significant portages, possibly not the best for gentle fun introductory trips. Lois/Khartoum lakes are plenty large enough to absorb your time without having to repeat legs. Even Haslam Lake is big enough, launch at the foot, paddle up to nice island camping at the top,

day two explore the islands,

and take a walk, then back down the lake on day three. Haslam is especially nice as there is a no power boats rule (water supply).
post #11 of (permalink) Old 03-10-2012, 08:39 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Clearwater/Azure is only five hours away.
A water taxi service could be used to provide security or a means of accessing the far end of Azure which has beautiful beaches and waterfalls.

Indian Arm can be a neat trip at the right time.
Nehatlatch lake falls into this category as well.

Come on open water!

Canoeheadted

post #12 of (permalink) Old 03-26-2012, 10:57 AM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: whitewater canoeing backcounty skiing hiking

Indian Arm came to my mind too, being in Vancouver. You could also look into Stave Lake, Alouette, Pitt, and Manning Park.

Check out the thread I just posted on the Beaver Canoe Club.

Pat.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page