Sunset Paddles,Powell River Aug 3-8-2011 :) Ah HA! - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-06-2011, 12:33 AM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Interest: hiking,swimming,anything on the water or outside.Try almost anything once
Default Sunset Paddles,Powell River Aug 3-8-2011 :) Ah HA!

As I sit here writing this,I'm trying SO hard not to scratch my 20 or so new mosquito bites! I've just finally dragged my ass in from the most amazing sunset slowly followed by the most amazing moonset I have ever seen!!!

A little background...I got an email Sunday night...

Just wondering ... whether you might want a mini vacation while at work, and want to come and stay here for a few nights to cat sit? I can probably get my tenants to look after him, but she is allergic to cats and they are not 100% reliable.

We are planning to leave Weds for about 5 nights.

Only if you think this might be fun! (We can set up the kayak).

My instant reply....

Are you kidding??????????? You want to know if I can cat sit in your crappy ocean front hovel,and ride the fat pig??? OMG!!!!! Of COURSE I would LOVE to cat sit!!!!! I love cat's!!!! YES,YES,YES
I should come over tomorrow so you can show me stuff
YAY
I get off work at 5:30 pm,I'll phone you when I get home

So for the last two nights,I've been kayaking So awesome!!! I've only been a couple of times,the last was like 4 years ago,and both times I got in from a dock....my first beach assault resulted in an instant soaker as I flipped it in the shallows and it filled with water LOLOL
Couldn't believe how warm the water is Finally got in with a little help from the guy upstairs,and off I went. I chose not to wear the skirt last night,I've never worn one. It was really fun,a good workout,as I was doing it all wrong LOL.. Some neighbours were giggling at me until I pointed out to them that I had no clue what the hell I was doing,and we all had a laugh The lady said I was doing great,so I'll run with it Here's some pictures...

I have canoed for many many miles,but this is a different beast,and it's going to take more practice,but I LOVE it

Tonight,I had to go again,and after watching several instructional videos,I can proudly say I got in,and out without getting wet !!! YAY!!
I even wore the skirt I'm not gonna lie,it kind of gave me a claustrophobic feeling.....weird. I think my style has improved,but maybe not... The giggling neighbours where out again,and I'm going to get some company on my paddle tomorrow,and some free tips We chatted briefly,and when they found out I just moved here,they said "welcome to paradise" !! I have to keep pinching myself,I REALLY love it up here Here's some from tonight.....

I wrote this last night,but I couldn't upload pics. ( Thanks Jim ) So now there's a day 3!
Tonight the water was different,my quiet glassy pond had turned quite choppy and the wind was blowing too I watched some more videos and I want to try flipping,but I think I'll wait for a human LOL tonight I was practicing hip thrusts LOLOL
Getting back was a real workout and the swells were getting big,but it was SO much fun!!! I knew I was made for this,I just feel so comfortable on the water
Here's even more pics....some flowers here and the moon tonight,not nearly as good as last night,but still pretty

Almost forgotI saw a fish at least a foot and a half long jump about four feet out of the water and landed fifteen feet away!!He just flew!!! Unreal
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-06-2011, 06:50 AM
Headed for the Mountains

That looks and sounds totally glorious... wow. Worth the mosquito bites I think 8)
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-06-2011, 04:05 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Interest: hiking,swimming,anything on the water or outside.Try almost anything once

It IS glorious and yes,well worth the vampire bites lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-06-2011, 08:35 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Nice, very nice good feeling report.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-06-2011, 08:58 PM
Super Moderator

Interest: Hiking, Snowshoeing, and Photography. Enjoying the outdoors fresh air and fitness experience.

Stunning sunset photos indeed. You are getting out on some beautiful outings.....

K
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-08-2011, 03:14 AM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Thanks for the kind comments

Saturday night I had a real breakthrough!!! I finally got the rudder in the water,and not only that,I even found the peddles and adjusted them!!! OMG!!! It's like I've been driving a big old truck with armstrong steering and suddenly, i have one finger power steering!!!! Amazing!!

In my usual childlike exuberant way,I only glanced briefly at the rudder when I first headed out,thought it was somehow for special circumstances that surely,I wouldn't encounter since I was sticking close to home LOLOL!!! As for the peddles,they were up past my knees,so when I initially felt around for them with my feet,I of course couldn't find any,so I thought,the hell with it,and carried on the hard way! No wonder the neighbours where laughing at me!

Needless to say,I am now flying trough the water,I no longer have to paddle on one side at a time,and turning has become an easy task

Today was my first of two days off,and my last two in this paradise on the beach,and I wanted to go for a sunrise paddle. I should have checked the tide,because when the cat woke me up at 4:30 am (as is his habit!) it was the lowest of low tides,and I would have had to carry or drag the kayak way too far,so I took some pictures of the millions of little crabs,and the sky getting brighter

When the tide finally came in enough,I took off on what I think was about a 20km journey It was awesome,but I didn't bring the camera,so no pics. Since it's my last night here,I opted for a fire on the beach tonight,and a midnight swim The water was like glass,and high tide was at 12,moonset shortly thereafter,so it was perfect!

After getting out,I was letting the fire die down so I could lay back and watch the stars. Just as I was getting comfortable,I had the crap scared out of me by the cat (Taten) when he started a low but fierce growl/howling noise..... I thought,oh no!! Last week we had a bear come crashing through our garden at the apartment I live in in Townsite. This place,being 9 kms north of town,prob. see's even more bear activity!! I grabbed my camera and started shooting with the flash on,trying to see what the cat saw...

Then there it was...the predator eyes glowing in the dark....

OMG!!!!!LOLOL!!!

I proceeded to lay and watch as the falling stars danced across the sky,some with long burning tails I hope to do another long trip tomorrow if my shoulders are good Sure will miss this place,it's been heaven Very grateful for this unexpected,joyful,peaceful last week!!
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-08-2011, 08:55 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

One last instalment...........my farewell paddle.......it was hot and the sea was glass.......awesome

Goodbye beautiful beach house

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-zWv7X8aJw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2X2cFixJsI
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-09-2011, 10:41 AM
Off the Beaten Path

Great series of pics and adventures Chris!! Thanks so much for house sitting (not to mention dealing with sewage issues). I enjoyed your account of the predator ginger cat, quite likely to kill you if you are not careful.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-09-2011, 06:17 PM
High on the Mountain Top

You lucky little girl! Your enthusiasm for life is contagious! : )
post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-09-2011, 06:35 PM
Super Moderator

Interest: Hiking, Snowshoeing, and Photography. Enjoying the outdoors fresh air and fitness experience.

You truly got some amazing shots there. Like John wrote, you are very lucky to be up there. A far more interesting area that around the locals of Logan Lake.

K
post #11 of (permalink) Old 08-09-2011, 07:49 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

John and Katie
Quote:
quote:You lucky little girl! Your enthusiasm for life is contagious! : )
LOL!! I have been called many things over the years,but "little girl" is not one of them LOL!! Haven't I told you ... I'm 7'2" As far as I know,we only get to do it once (life),and even if you believe in reincarnation,you can never remember your past lives anyways right? LOL

Karl,you and Julia should come up for a visit,we could find something to do I'm sure
post #12 of (permalink) Old 08-11-2011, 10:27 AM
Off the Beaten Path

I thoroughly enjoyed your narrative and excellent pics, Chris. Brings back some fond memories.

Thanks for posting!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page