Kettle Valley RR - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-13-2011, 03:04 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Default Kettle Valley RR

Hey all. I've been wanting to do this for awhile and am hoping this summer is the time. The problem is that my potential partner has limited time. Any tips overall would be appreciated but mostly I'm looking for recommendations for a section to do in 2 and a half to 3 days to get best bang for buck.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-13-2011, 03:14 PM
Headed for the Mountains

I've biked the section from Tulameen and Princeton and back over one day - we camped at Otter Lake Prov Park. It's a very nice section of trail for the most part for scenery and I imagine you can extend this trip either way as you'd like...
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-14-2011, 07:58 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: hiking on and off trails , maintaining certain trails. recumbent bike on log/mining roads, and KVR, and for excercise in absolute comfort.

Start at Midway and wander west. First 10 km has a lot of gates and some loss of railgrade but after you pass Rock creek you find some decent sights and road. Camping areas and urban centers tend to have morons on quads and dirtbikes tearing the trail up which makes cycling difficult to impossible. Keyword here is MORONS not repectable riders of motorized toys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-18-2011, 03:48 PM
Rat
Headed for the Mountains

I thought there were sections where motorized vehicles were allowed?
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-18-2011, 03:57 PM
Summit Master

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Rat

I thought there were sections where motorized vehicles were allowed?
There are... Many of them !!!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-21-2011, 08:55 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: hiking on and off trails , maintaining certain trails. recumbent bike on log/mining roads, and KVR, and for excercise in absolute comfort.

There are sections of the railtrail that are used as roads and farm traffic as well. The traveled roads tend to get the washboard effect so plan accordingly. Watch for large range bovines and fresh cowpies.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-28-2011, 12:06 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Princeton to Hope is a great 3 day trip. Camp at Otter Lake and Coquihalla Lakes. Between Brodie and Juliet, there are some major washouts that will require carrying your bike across steep shifting sand. Would be difficult to do with loaded panniers/packs so you might stick to the hwy at that point.
Highly recommend this trip! Stunning scenery.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-11-2011, 10:31 AM
Off the Beaten Path

Unfortunately the ATV/dirtbikes loosen and chew up the trail surface to the great discomfort of cyclists. Pretty much the whole stretch from Summerland to Princeton is like this now. Your best bet for a great 2-3 day ride, both for best scenery and best surfaces, is Midway to Naramata. But even there, many stretches around Rhone and Beaverdell are getting rougher all the time...
post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-11-2011, 12:49 PM
Super Moderator

Interest: Hiking, Snowshoeing, and Photography. Enjoying the outdoors fresh air and fitness experience.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by pmjwright

Unfortunately the ATV/dirtbikes loosen and chew up the trail surface to the great discomfort of cyclists. Pretty much the whole stretch from Summerland to Princeton is like this now. Your best bet for a great 2-3 day ride, both for best scenery and best surfaces, is Midway to Naramata. But even there, many stretches around Rhone and Beaverdell are getting rougher all the time...

That is sad. Too bad they cannot co-exist.

K
post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-15-2011, 01:37 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Quote:
quote:Too bad they cannot co-exist
Well they can, but my experience is that the shared railbed gets churned up to the detriment of the cyclist...and his/her butt!

The first few km of KVR west of Summerland (past the end of the tracks of course) is posted as non-motorized only, with gates and/or cattleguards at both ends. Sadly, last May long weekend we had to dodge ATVers and dirtbikers doing 80+, and even a 4x4 doing 60+ along this stretch. I learned - and perfected - a new MTB move: ditch diving followed by the middle-finger salute!
post #11 of (permalink) Old 08-15-2011, 02:36 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by pmjwright

Quote:
quote:Too bad they cannot co-exist
Well they can, but my experience is that the shared railbed gets churned up to the detriment of the cyclist...and his/her butt!

The first few km of KVR west of Summerland (past the end of the tracks of course) is posted as non-motorized only, with gates and/or cattleguards at both ends. Sadly, last May long weekend we had to dodge ATVers and dirtbikers doing 80+, and even a 4x4 doing 60+ along this stretch. I learned - and perfected - a new MTB move: ditch diving followed by the middle-finger salute!
I agree - riding the section between Princeton and Tulameen we even had a truck come flying up behind us on the trail around a corner...we didn't hear it and it scared the s%#& out of us needless to say. What a bunch of a-holes.

Pretty much our entire group gave out the salute...

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page