Nation Lakes Canoe Route - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-11-2011, 12:16 PM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Spending time with my man and family, relaxing with good friends and good food, hiking, paddling,
Default Nation Lakes Canoe Route

We are planning to paddle the Nation Lakes Canoe Route in late August. We have already been in contact with Nation Lakes Lodge to arrange shuttle transportation. Just wondering if anyone here has done this route and if you have any suggestions or tips. Thanks.
Cheers!

Cheers!

"Smile, it is the key that fits the lock to everybody's heart."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-11-2011, 12:29 PM
Dru
Super Moderator

Interest: climbing and spraying
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-12-2011, 07:52 AM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Spending time with my man and family, relaxing with good friends and good food, hiking, paddling,

Thanks Dru. I too had found those pictures on my google searches.

Cheers!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-12-2011, 09:18 AM
Dru
Super Moderator

Interest: climbing and spraying

I was able to recommend that Graham go there based on some info Eryne gave me. I hope you have as good a time as Graham and Bev did.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-15-2011, 10:50 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Looks awesome. This is on our list. Just starting to make our plans - we might be doing it as well this year. From our sleuthing I would think that the Nation Lakes Lodge shuttle is the way to go.

I'm pretty certain that some of the members of the Beaver Canoe Club have done this. I am going to their meeting on Wed. I'll see what info I can dig up.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-16-2011, 01:07 PM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

Pathfinder, any additional info you gather and would like to share would be great. From everything I've read it looks like a pretty nice wilderness paddle trip. When do you think you will be going? We have booked our shuttle as well as a nights stay at the lodge when we finish the trip. A night in a real bed and a hot shower will be nice before we head to Tweedsmuir for a few nights backpacking.

Cheers!
post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-16-2011, 07:38 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Yes route is especially nice given there are no portages. I will send you an email with my phone number. Give me a call Thursday and tell you what I find out.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 07-07-2011, 08:39 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Bump!
We are considering this trip starting the Labour Day weekend. If anyone else is interested in sharing the shuttle costs or doing a key exchange (assuming it is also feasible the other direction, not sure yet what kind of current there is in the river portion) we can talk. Post here or PM.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 07-07-2011, 10:17 AM
High on the Mountain Top

BC, sent you a pm earlier, assume you got it.

found some more info on Nation Lakes:

http://www.myccr.com/canoedb/routeDe...hp?routeid=378

http://www.flickr.com/photos/9450693...7622317029516/

http://www.wacweb.org/Trips/TripRepo...ails&RowId=474

For this year, we have decided to do Turner Lakes in Tweedsmuir instead as this is a trip we had to abandon 2 years ago due to the forest fires.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 07-07-2011, 10:27 AM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by alexcanuck

Bump!
We are considering this trip starting the Labour Day weekend. If anyone else is interested in sharing the shuttle costs or doing a key exchange (assuming it is also feasible the other direction, not sure yet what kind of current there is in the river portion) we can talk. Post here or PM.
Too bad you're not starting earlier otherwise we would definitely be interested in sharing shuttle costs (I don't think a key exchange would work). We are starting August 21st and ending August 28th.

Cheers!
post #11 of (permalink) Old 07-07-2011, 10:31 AM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Pathfinder

BC, sent you a pm earlier, assume you got it.

found some more info on Nation Lakes:

http://www.myccr.com/canoedb/routeDe...hp?routeid=378

http://www.flickr.com/photos/9450693...7622317029516/

http://www.wacweb.org/Trips/TripRepo...ails&RowId=474

For this year, we have decided to do Turner Lakes in Tweedsmuir instead as this is a trip we had to abandon 2 years ago due to the forest fires.
Yes, I did get your PM but haven't gotten around to calling you. I'll try to call in the next week or so. Thanks for the links, I found those too as well as a few others. Hopefully there are no forest fire issues this year at Nation or Turner Lakes. Are you flying into Turner or portaging in? I will be interested in hearing about your trip. We'll be heading to Tweedsmuir to backpack in the Rainbow Range area for a few days after the paddle. Tried to go there a 2 years ago but couldn't due to fires.

Cheers!
post #12 of (permalink) Old 07-07-2011, 01:06 PM
Banned

You have to pass through my home town to get there. If you do that on a Friday, there is an excellent Farmer's Market. My mom sells her bread, veggies, and pie there. If you get a chance I recommend the pie! Also, there is a pretty cool historic park in the Fort that is worthwhile checking out when you pass through.

I am so glad you are doing this. It is an incomparable part of BC that few people get to see. The water is so clear that you can see the gravel bottoms of the lakes (and the fishes!)

Have fun while you are there.

post #13 of (permalink) Old 07-07-2011, 01:17 PM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Eryne

You have to pass through my home town to get there. If you do that on a Friday, there is an excellent Farmer's Market. My mom sells her bread, veggies, and pie there. If you get a chance I recommend the pie! Also, there is a pretty cool historic park in the Fort that is worthwhile checking out when you pass through.

I am so glad you are doing this. It is an incomparable part of BC that few people get to see. The water is so clear that you can see the gravel bottoms of the lakes (and the fishes!)

Have fun while you are there.

Which town? Fort St. James? Unfortunately we won't be in the town on either Friday I love home made pie and bread! We'll staying in either Vanderhoof or Fort. St. James on the Saturday night. Can you recommend a place in case we decide not to car camp?

Cheers!
post #14 of (permalink) Old 07-08-2011, 01:50 PM
Banned

I can - stay at one of the lodges on the north side of Stuart Lake. There is Stuart Lodge, with cabins, or you can stay right in town. I think if you are staying in town at the New Caledonia Hotel, you might need reservations.

Don't stay in Vanderhoof. The hotels there are party places.

My home town is Ft St James!
post #15 of (permalink) Old 07-08-2011, 04:47 PM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Eryne

I can - stay at one of the lodges on the north side of Stuart Lake. There is Stuart Lodge, with cabins, or you can stay right in town. I think if you are staying in town at the New Caledonia Hotel, you might need reservations.

Don't stay in Vanderhoof. The hotels there are party places.

My home town is Ft St James!
Thanks Eryne....perhaps your mom will make a special delivery or pick up?? (I love fresh pie and bread....oh wait, I already told you that!)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page