Kayaking and fishing. - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-04-2011, 09:23 AM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Default Kayaking and fishing.

I'm just wondering if its possible to/ if any one does fish from a recreational style kayak (looking at a 12') Probally be quite the hassle trying to have your rod ready to go while paddling. I'm wondering since id like to lessen using gas/fuel and you can get at more lakes with a kayak. And if i go on this fishing trip I'm planning I might just bring a kayak
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-04-2011, 09:48 AM
Off the Beaten Path

My partner fishes constantly from a kayak. It is most exciting when he lands a snapper!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-04-2011, 09:58 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Mountain biking, hiking, nature photography, astronomy, music...

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by susied

My partner fishes constantly from a kayak. It is most exciting when he lands a snapper!
I did exactly that once - I got a large rockfish while fishing from a double. I'd definitley recommend rigging something so that you can fasten the fish to the top of the boat so that you can paddle unhindered. I made the mistake of not taking anything that allowed me to carry the fish on the top of the kayak and I had to drag an eight pound fish about 5 km. It was big enough that it had a constant and annoying effect on steering. Another recommendation - be very carefull when using a fish bonker - you can very easily whack the side of the boat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-04-2011, 10:17 AM
Off the Beaten Path

He takes a net and secures the net and fish on the cockpit. But landing larger fish is quite challenging on your own, usually if I hear much yelling I get over there ASAP to steady his kayak from mine while he deals with the fish.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-04-2011, 11:29 AM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

ahh thanks id probally be catching rainbows, tho a 8lber would be nice lol does your partner fly fish or use like a spinrod/ casting
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-04-2011, 08:19 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: hiking on and off trails , maintaining certain trails. recumbent bike on log/mining roads, and KVR, and for excercise in absolute comfort.

I used to fish from my kayak and it was great to catch something to eat, however clubbing a shark with your paddle is not recommended, nor is letting a rock cod lay peacefully between your legs with your wetsuit on. Amazing feelings when they wake up.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-06-2011, 03:07 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: SEA KAYAKING HIKING FISHING

Ryan, I fish a lot from my kayak. I crab from it as well. A fishing rod holder is essential in my opinion. It allows you a place to stow a rod while dispatching with a fish as well as trolling. As others said, plan ahead on what you will do with your catch. Some people use dry bags, mesh bags, etc. but towing fish is a laborious and potential hazardous thing to do, particularly if in salt water. keep in mind that if you capsize, if your gear is not tied down, its gone. And be sure to have a knife handy for cutting off.

Also, the wind is NOT your friend when fishing! Good Luck. My best fish is a 7 kg Chinook while I was in the Deer Group.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-06-2011, 04:40 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Women

Be a man and get a "Canoe". Then you can fish like a fisherman.

post #9 of (permalink) Old 05-06-2011, 05:00 PM
Summit Master

I have a canoe and really neat gear...

Now where to fish ???
post #10 of (permalink) Old 05-06-2011, 05:25 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: Skiing,Mountain Biking, Surfing, Hiking, Climbing

Kayak fishing is becoming very popular ! Last August we were fishing off Bamfield when a gentlemen paddled by us with a down rigger mounted on the deck of his kayak trolling for Salmon. I could only imagine the fight of a 25lb Spring in a Kayak. Like has been said before prepare for as much as you can before you go. You don't want to be wrestling around trying to figure out how you are going to land your catch with the inevitably cold lakes you will be fishing for Rainbow.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqVEvNocKTA

And if this happens make sure you have some buddies with you wow.
post #11 of (permalink) Old 05-07-2011, 12:36 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Backcountry migration,blending far off-trail to witness Life

If your kayak has attachment-options , get one of those ATV-style Heavy-duty GUN-Case holders, store your rod & gear in there , even glue in special compartments.
Have a line attached to your rod , if need be .
After fishing season is over , that kayak is also good for late fall duck-hunting [ camo- the kayak ].
post #12 of (permalink) Old 05-07-2011, 02:04 PM
Scaling New Heights

I'm pretty into fishing and hope to start kayak fishing myself some day. There is an entire sub-culture of kayak fishermen out there that do incredible things with their kayaks, including attaching fishfinders and live bait tanks. Most, if not all, use open top kayaks, and a few manufacturers are making fishing specific kayaks (Ocean for example). If you are in the lower mainland there is a kayak shop in Langley (I think) that sells them at a decent price. To see some cool examples check out youtube, there are guys in the sea of Cortez, (Baja Mexico) taking down some big fish in a little kayak.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVtHTUAXfLs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8KNtyPbsSI
post #13 of (permalink) Old 05-08-2011, 11:34 AM
Summit Master

Interest: Backcountry migration,blending far off-trail to witness Life

Quote..."knowsam
Starting Member
There is an entire sub-culture of kayak fishermen out there that do incredible things with their kayaks, including attaching fishfinders and live bait tanks.

----------------------

Carefull please , there are regulations and a whole sad history of invasive species upending our aquatic subcultures & eco-systems.Live bait.
Messing with Environmental Laws can land you into hot water.
post #14 of (permalink) Old 05-08-2011, 04:50 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: general mountaineering/ hiking/ backpacking/ skiing/ kayaking

[quote]Originally posted by Mike Valhalla

Kayak fishing is becoming very popular ! Last August we were fishing off Bamfield when a gentlemen paddled by us with a down rigger mounted on the deck of his kayak trolling for Salmon. I could only imagine the fight of a 25lb Spring in a Kayak. Like has been said before prepare for as much as you can before you go. You don't want to be wrestling around trying to figure out how you are going to land your catch with the inevitably cold lakes you will be fishing for Rainbow.

Just think of what would happen if you jigged up a 100 + pound halibut? Most people hand jig with 120 test line, since it's comfortable on the hands. Some people in small skiffs, fishing for halibut, tie a few 3/4 inch rings along their jigging line and have a "Scotchman" type bladder ready to clip to a ring, in case they get a big one. Once the bladder is clipped to the line, the fish can sound, but will be dragging the float down and will eventually get played out. Then the big fish needs to be towed ashore and cut up into stowable parts. It's not good enough to gut a halibut, as they can muscle spasm hours after they are dead.

As a young deckhand, I watched a 3 hour dead & gutted halibut, iced under a two foot layer of salmon, flip the whole works up and out of the hold pen. Salmon bonked on the head usually are out cold, but many bottom fish "revive" later. Keep this in mind when you're fishing from small boats.

Peter

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page