Ayla Canoes at Pitt Lake forced to move - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-04-2009, 07:13 AM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: BC Park Volunteer for the front and backcountry trails in Golden Ears Park. Also love to kayak !!!
Default Ayla Canoes at Pitt Lake forced to move

What a shame that some person in a fancy office with a large stick up their ass has done this. Please sign the petition!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/...pitt-lake.html

The weather isn\'t bad here. It only rained twice last week, the first time for three days and the second time for four days.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-04-2009, 10:18 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: hiking (slow!), visiting out of the way places, writing, canoeing, and fueling my sweet tooth

Signed. Thanks for posting to publicize this, I love their service, so convenient!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-04-2009, 12:16 PM
Headed for the Mountains

I'm just wondering if this is a process that Metro (GVRD) have to go through. If they no longer hold a lease on the property then they can't really grant Ayla Canoes the right of use. Shouldn't this be directed at the Provincial Government who actually "own" the property ??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-04-2009, 08:12 PM
Super Moderator

Interest: Hiking, Snowshoeing, and Photography. Enjoying the outdoors fresh air and fitness experience.

Sad to know, Ron. One would think they have given an outstanding service, park maintenance plus offering canoes for rent. This should mean something to the provincial government in considering an extension of these services.

K
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-05-2009, 09:43 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Location: Ask me next week, British Columbia, sometimes., Canada.
Interest: Hiking, soccer, hockey, running, photography, dogs, camping, environmental protection.

Signed. I hope, somehow, they are allowed to stay.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-05-2009, 10:05 AM
Super Moderator

Interest: Hiking, Snowshoeing, and Photography. Enjoying the outdoors fresh air and fitness experience.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by jd22

Signed. I hope, somehow, they are allowed to stay.
Signed as well. Also hope they stay.

K
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-05-2009, 10:10 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Signed
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-05-2009, 11:04 AM
Headed for the Mountains

signed
post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-05-2009, 11:52 AM
Summit Master

Signed but really this should be directed at the Provincial Government as noted above.And I suspect this is only a simple ploy. B.C. parks will take over and charge for parking Ayla will end up staying & B.C. Parks will take their cut I presume.
Have you ever seen the crowd out there on sunny day in the summer? That is just too much revenue to pass up. The boat trailers start at the parking lot and line both sides of the road at least 2km.

post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-07-2009, 12:44 PM
High on the Mountain Top

While I have had great experiences with Ayla canoes, I can see a bright side to eliminating the service that they offer, provided the province doesn't step in with their own rental business. Widgeon Marsh and Widgeon Slough would benefit from the lack of canoe traffic. I'm sure the birds won't mind that.
post #11 of (permalink) Old 12-07-2009, 01:28 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Thanks for the link. Petition signed. The operators at Ayla have been super friendly in my experience.
post #12 of (permalink) Old 12-07-2009, 01:35 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Love the outdoors. Hiking, backpacking, geocaching, camping, canoeing, and kayaking. Did I say camp

I don't know I'm kind of conflicted on the issue. While I hate to see Ayla go out of business, I am kind of glad that it may cut down on the yahoos and the trash that's always up at the campsite.
Seems everytime I've been there the place is a total mess and full of drunken, loud partyers. The loss of a convenient place to rent a canoe could mean that the campsite up there could become a place I'm more likely to head to.
As someone who has taken Scout Troops there in the past, it became a place that I stopped taking groups into because of the crowds of drunken bozos that the youth were subjected to.
post #13 of (permalink) Old 12-07-2009, 11:52 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Canoeing, Hiking, Fishing and Bear kissing.

Ya, I didn't want to comment myself for many of the same reasons Marc mentions. Being a canoe owner myself I've been more annoyed with the rental traffic than I probably would if I too were renting.

Guess I'm not going to sign the petition.
post #14 of (permalink) Old 12-10-2009, 09:32 AM
Headed for the Mountains

Hmm... I'm pretty conflicted about this as well. The campsite would definitely be a hell of a lot cleaner from the lack of rental traffic.

Yet I have to confess I'm biased because I have my own kayak and therefore know I can go out there anytime I want to. Truth be told, if I didn't have my own kayak, I'd have signed the petition in a heartbeat.

The rental place also makes it handy to bring a friend so we can paddle together in a beautiful area.

Conflicted indeed...
post #15 of (permalink) Old 12-23-2009, 08:30 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Interest: Explorer 40 years of Exploration including Canada\'s High arctic.

Signed by Chris Cooper of Pitt Meadows, a very unfortunate circumstance for our community as Gord founded this 20 years ago when I was running Voyageur canoe trips to Widgeon Creek and Pitt Lakes.

Our blessings to his family and friends and many others that will lose out on such a great service they provided. Chris G. Cooper

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page