Cycling Nanaimo to Parksville - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-24-2008, 07:25 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: Some interests: working out, hiking, canoeing, snowshoeing, cycling, motorcycling, gardening, classical music, opera, ballet, travel, esp. cruise travel, good books, wine, and food...
Default Cycling Nanaimo to Parksville

I have to be in Parksville in a few weeks and I'm hoping save the ferry cost/hassle by biking instead. My question: is Nanaimo to Parksville a reasonable trip for a moderate recreational/commuter cyclist (hybrid bike, average shape, occasionally gets off and pushes bike up steep ones)? From what little info I can track down on the 'net, the topography looks kinda nasty.

If anyone knows this route and has any tips regarding hills, traffic, quieter routes, etc. I'd really appreciate hearing from you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-24-2008, 08:21 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: duh
Send a message via MSN to hikinbc

Hi I've done it, It's similiar to cycling nw marine drive to horseshoe bay

If I remember right 1/4 to 1/3 of it was along bike paths next to the hwy and the rest was on the highway shoulder , the hills are more sustained uphill compared to really steep .

nice ride there's a breakfast place past parksville in coombs that has goats on the roof and serves a huge breakfast
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-24-2008, 11:24 PM

From the ferry terminal to north Nanaimo there's a paved bike/walk path that runs parallel to the highway. Very straightforward and probably your best option however the shoulder all through town is rideable as well. From the north end of Nanaimo to the Nanoose turnoff you'll need to ride on the shoulder of the highway.

At the Nanoose turnoff (Northwest Bay Road) you can either continue straight on the highway to Parksville (this is the shorter of the two routes but is more or less all a gentle uphill and really quite boring to ride) OR you can turn off and ride through a little golf community, along the ocean, then through some beautiful rural areas before reaching the south end of Parksville. This second option is longer and has a lot of elevation gain/loss but is much quieter car wise and much more enjoyable to ride.

I do this second route frequently as a training ride and a round trip never takes more than 2.5 hours on a road bike.

Let me know if you want more detailed info on either of these routes!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-26-2008, 06:49 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: Some interests: working out, hiking, canoeing, snowshoeing, cycling, motorcycling, gardening, classical music, opera, ballet, travel, esp. cruise travel, good books, wine, and food...

Thanks guys!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page