Canoeing in the 'Wack - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-21-2007, 11:50 PM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Default Canoeing in the 'Wack

Just thought I would post a few pictures from the Hope River Slough out in Chilliwack. It may not be the most exotic of locations but when you can portage your canoe from home, you can't complain. We have paddled here many times and have seen river otters, beavers, and bats, as well as a multitude of different bird species. Today we came across a family of young ducklings and another group of young goslings, but didn't get a good photo of them. If you are interested in paddling along this waterway, I would suggest doing so sooner than later as the milfoil begins to grow in thick by early summer.

Here are some pictures of some of the things we saw today, I hope you like them!

Just a quick portage down the street.

Young Rd bridge.

Keep paddling!

Great Blue Heron

An old snag, but a cozy home for some

Heading for the gates, not
exactly the Tamihi rapids!

Some other paddlers with
the same idea.

One of Chilliwacks heritage homes
along the water.

Even Kayakers can enjoy this area!

A good launch area would be at the north end of Corbould St: (N49 10.873 W121 57.597) or else at the Lions Hall along Hope River Rd: (N49 11.236 W121 55.145)

Parking is available at both spots.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-22-2007, 05:47 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Canoeing, Hiking, Fishing and Bear kissing.

The pictures really give away the beauty of what you have at your fingertips. I too feel lucky as I have the Ladner marshes with in a ten minute drive to my place but I confess... I'd be out there MUCH more often if I lived within portaging proximity, you lucky dog.

I wasn't sure what you meant about the "milfoil" growing, I was thinking you were going to mention the expected flood waters on the way?

Generous of you to share some pics and thanks for heads up about the local paddling stop, I've done the upper Chilliwack river in Spring but that was for white water canoing... never paddled the Hope River Slough.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-22-2007, 11:57 PM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

I think that comparing the upper chilliwack river to the hope river is like comparing a ferrari to a lada, but for a quick paddling fix it can't be beat around here. There used to be a canoe race from Rosedale all the way down to the lions hall but that finished about 14 years ago due to the growth of vegetation in the water. I think if a person had a few hours to try, the route should still be open enough for a single canoe to get through, but a few dozen racing.... not a chance! I would like to come down to the Ladner area and paddle some of the sloughs around there, but I think I will wait until high water has dropped.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-23-2007, 12:08 AM
Summit Master

Interest: Canoeing, Hiking, Fishing and Bear kissing.

You mean the highwaters in your neighbourhood? Certainly the Ladner marshes have high and low water three to four times every 24 hours but that is the tide.. drop me a line before driving the canoe out this way and I'll tip you off to some real gems to return the favour, I love the gentle floats as well as occasional big water!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-23-2007, 11:01 PM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

I will do that when I get some time to head out that way. I really enjoy snooping around in the quieter waterways and checking out the flora and fauna that is always so plentiful. I just got back from another quick paddle tonight and this time we had a beaver swim a foot away from the bow before slipping underwater, just amazing!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-24-2007, 06:12 AM
Summit Master

Thanks for posting JB... great pics...

I love that area, and often do the dikes nearby...

I gave my canoe away, many years ago... Maybe time for a new one...

C'Jack...
post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-24-2007, 07:34 AM

Great pictures. You make the Hope slough look good. Sometimes it can be pretty dirty. I actually seen you paddeling and taking pictures when I drove by. We were driving to check the water levels.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-24-2007, 10:47 PM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

The Hope River is actually a lot nicer than a lot of people seem to realize. It can get pretty scuzzy in the summer but right now is great. Here are a few more pictures I took last night while trying out my new (to me) clipper escape.

The Escape

Bow shot

Peaceful reflection

Beaver at one o'clock

Go home!
post #9 of (permalink) Old 05-24-2007, 11:45 PM

Hey John, nice pics and congratulations on the new boat. It looks like a nice, light boat. Are you going to set it up so you can solo it as well? Anyways, nice boat and keep the trip reports coming. Canoeheadted.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 05-25-2007, 08:00 PM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

You bet it's light, I think it is around 58 lbs and thats glass! I will see about setting it up for solo later but that is not a bad idea.
post #11 of (permalink) Old 08-14-2011, 09:26 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Photography, hiking/camping, being eccentric,

Thanks for posting this paddling area. I just had a family reunion in the area and it was my first time there. My wife and I noticed the slough and walked it for a ways ( near the Lions building), checked our maps and wondered if it's canoe accessible. Thank you for confirming this. I also read that certain sections are going to be reopened, pending government approval. Any idea on how this plan is coming along?
I've been stuck in milfoil on the Serpentine before, so I will wait for a good opportunity to paddle the Hope Slough in the future.
Don't worry about paddling the Ladner Marshes. It is accessable all year long, but best between late spring and mid fall.
post #12 of (permalink) Old 08-17-2011, 11:08 PM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Hi nomad, I just got out for a quick paddle on Monday and even with the milfoil it was decent paddling. We saw a variety of birds and a racoon watching us from shore. All this and only a 2 minute portage from home, hard to beat!
post #13 of (permalink) Old 08-18-2011, 10:22 AM
Headed for the Mountains

I'm stoked to read this-I just moved to Ladner and we've been eyeing the slough at the end of our street. Definitely portageable from our house-now we just have to scrounge a boat 8) We have one to borrow, but had no idea if anyone paddled around in there. I'll have to find time to make this happen, too fun. 8) With some bug spray on it'd make a nice little place for a picnic dinner.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page