Salt Spring Island:

Bowen Island:

Edited by - valerie on 06/27/2003 9:20:16 PM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-27-2003, 05:05 PM
Summit Master

Interest: I enjoy hiking

The campsite in that 2nd pic looks delicious!

post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-27-2003, 07:22 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
quote:
The campsite in that 2nd pic looks delicious!

It did look really good, but unfortunately we were just passing by and couldn't spend any time there. Maybe next time.

Valerie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-28-2003, 12:34 AM
Summit Master

Interest: Outdoor stuff...especially scrambling,trailrunning,mountain biking,kayaking,and hiking, and of course photography

Hi Valerie!
WAs that first photo of Saltspring taken at Ruckle Prov.Park,or somewhere else?I am hoping to take my kayak out on Indian Arm this weekend!
Mick

post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-28-2003, 01:16 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
quote:
Hi Valerie!
WAs that first photo of Saltspring taken at Ruckle Prov.Park,or somewhere else?I am hoping to take my kayak out on Indian Arm this weekend!
Mick

It wasn't at Ruckle Park. It was a very small island not far from where we launched in Ganges. I'll let you know when I find out the name of it.

We've kayaked up Indian Arm several times, leaving from Deep Cove. They have a good shop there if someone needs to rent a kayak. We quite often go with groups of friends and usually stop at Twin Islands for lunch. We've even camped overnight at the far end of Indian Arm. It's a fairly long paddle, but I'd definitely recommend it. One of the campsites is near a waterfall, so it's a great way to have your morning shower.

Have fun this weekend.

Valerie
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-28-2003, 10:33 AM
High on the Mountain Top

I'd be interested to hear more about Deelp Cove and camping at Granite Falls:

I've checked out the Deep Cove Kayak centre site at http://www.deepcovekayak.com/frames.php and they seem to have all the information I'd need. Looks like a great overnight trip. Any insights you can add would be appreciated.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-29-2003, 12:21 PM Thread Starter

Hi Pathfinder:

Sorry I didn't reply sooner. We were having a fabulous day of waterskiing in the summer sun at Alouette Lake yesterday.

To answer any questions you might have about kayaking up Indian Arm, I'm attaching some info that I scanned from an excellent book called “Kayak Routes of the Pacific Northwest Coast” by Peter McGee. If it's too hard to read though, email me and I'll send it to you in a Word document.

It took six of us about 6 ½ hours at a fairly leisurely pace from Deep Cove to Granite Falls, where we camped overnight. The campsite is just to the right of the waterfall in the picture that you posted. It was a very nice place to stay, but it can get crowded, especially at this time of year. A few years ago, we were there in September and there were still quite a few people there. We also checked out the campsite at Bishop Creek, which was less crowded then, but not quite as nice.

By the way, if you need to rent kayaks, it's a good idea to reserve them. And remember that in Indian Arm you can have some pretty strong head winds, which will really slow you down. Let me know if there is any other information that you would like.

Valerie
post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-29-2003, 12:50 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
quote:
Hi Valerie!
Mick

Here is a map of the island group known as The Three Sisters (First, Second and Third Sister). I think the photo was taken at the second island, but I'm not sure.

Valerie
post #9 of (permalink) Old 06-29-2003, 03:56 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Outdoor stuff...especially scrambling,trailrunning,mountain biking,kayaking,and hiking, and of course photography

There's a trip I'm going to do this summer that's pretty cool.I'm going to ride my bike from Squamish(near Stawamus Chief) to the head of Indian Arm via the logging roads,and then kayak to Deep Cove from there.Deep Cove Kayak has a service where they'll tow your boat(s)/bike(s) up the Arm.This is roughly the day one route that the Sea to Summit race often takes.The bike half takes about 51/2-7 hrs,and the kayak home,who knows?We'll see how much energy I've got left for that,I guess!If I do it I'll definitely do a trip report. Mick

post #10 of (permalink) Old 06-29-2003, 04:39 PM Thread Starter

I've heard of that Sea to Summit race. It sounds really grueling . . . only, as you may already know, they go in the other direction.

But I'm sure you'll really get your exercise that day! Let us know how it goes.

Valerie

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page