Solo Kayaking. - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-30-2006, 07:09 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Default Solo Kayaking.

Is it a good idea ? I have hiked solo for several years so what are the concerns about being on the ocean solo ?
This assumes you stay close to shore and keep an eye on winds and tides.

----------------------------------------
Vancouver Hiking

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-30-2006, 07:19 PM
Off the Beaten Path

A good question.Though my kayaking experience is limited to lakes and rivers, I can tell you that going solo in the Fraser can be be terrifying. When the current is really moving fast the log booms can be deadly.Just think about what could happen if you were pushed into one and your craft flipped.Being trapped under logs with your head banging off every second one as the current takes you downstream would make for an unpleasant outing for sure.As for the ocean though, I think you would have less to worry about if your boat had a skirt.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-30-2006, 09:44 PM
High on the Mountain Top

If you have to ask if paddling solo is a good idea, you shouldn't do it.

I paddle solo a lot. I enjoy the quiet and tranquility that you don't get when you paddle with others (not that I particularly mind paddling with others, I just sometimes enjoy paddling alone -- I even sometimes go to movies by myself too).

I often do crossings solo and I quite often paddle solo in the Fraser River (I'm only minutes away from Fort Langley where after dinner paddles are the order of the day most days). I often go on multiple day paddling trips by myself as well as paddle solo at night.

The biggest thing about paddling solo is to know your capabilities and don't exceed them. Ever. Also know weather, tide, and current conditions. Know that if something does go wrong, that you're most likely going to have to be self-sufficient, at least for a short while. Maybe a long while.

Yes, there are risks, but if you think clearly, use common sense, have appropriate gear, and don't paddle beyond your capabilities, paddling solo can be a very rewarding experience -- without a doubt, I've had some of my best wildlife encounters when I've been solo.

If you're not sure if it's for you, do a solo paddle or two somewhere like Indian Arm on a weekend, where there are others around you most of the time -- it'll give you an idea of whether or not you want to spend more time with yourself without actually being too far removed.

Paddling alone is not for everyone and if you have any doubts, then don't paddle alone.

But bear in mind that if no one ever paddled solo, we wouldn't have the stories and photos from the likes of solo paddlers such as Bill Mason -- and that would certainly be a shame.

Dan

http://www.westcoastpaddler.com

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-31-2006, 12:51 AM
Q
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: absoltely anything outdoors, kayaking, hiking, cycling, mountain biking,

I believe that if you want to paddle solo you should at the very least learn the techniques to get your boat upright, and get back in if it capsizes. Or learn a roll. Wear a PFD always.
I have paddled solo a couple of times in Deep Cove and English Bay but wouldn't head out for anything more adventurous without someone more experienced.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-31-2006, 02:06 AM
Summit Master

Interest: Canoeing, Hiking, Fishing and Bear kissing.

Day trips where you can clearly asses the conditions from your put-in are fine if you know your boat, around town is great. Always check the [u]marine</u> forecast before going on big lakes or the ocean, solo or not. Wind is what you need to beware of first, tides are second.

Overnight trips are another matter, you should talk to someone experienced before heading out.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-31-2006, 08:20 PM
Scaling New Heights

Send a message via MSN to hobo_hiker

Solo paddling can be great and fun. Depends on where you paddle, you want to be aware of wind conditions, and tides. and in certain places(gulf islands), very good idea to know currents. If you know and trust your skills and your boat,and have all nessesary gear i wouldn't worry too much. Just don't do anything stupid to get hurt in the middle of nowhere,would it ever suck ass to sprain or tear a muscle many miles from home. The thing that potentially is the most discomfort inducing to me is sleeping alone with no people around what so ever with noises coming from the bushes. Ive done a couple overnighters and lots of solo day trips and planning to do more-but having someone to go with is good. on the other hand having someone to go with who is a major liability is bad.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-31-2006, 08:22 PM

I guess a partner could help you upright and get back in kayak or assist you with a medical problem. Id be more worried about hypothermia, so know the paddle float self-rescue very well. Most people are not able to do it.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-31-2006, 10:01 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Hey Guys, thanks for the feedback. Most of this is common sense but I really should look at taking a course for some of the finer points. I have spent time on the water as both my dad & I had boats but they were power craft. Wind, waves, and tides are no problem for me. I'm a strong swimmer and very comfortable on the water. Kayaking however is new to me and its a little different being in such a small craft.
I just finished a multi day trip which will get posted soon I hope. One thing I do see I need is some instruction in doing a roll and self rescue.
The first time I climbed into one of these I felt very comfortable and it seemed, to me, fairly stable and maneuverable in the water. Actually it seemed very intuitive to me.

I didn't really understand the idea of a spray skirt until I was hit by a wave from the side (my stupidity) and got soaked. Which makes me wonder how much water these things can take on before they sink?

From what I can see. Self reliance, a bit of knowledge, and common sense are the keys much the same as solo hiking. Maybe even more so I guess cause if your in the water and no one is around you'll have a limited amount of time to get your butt back in.

What I need to find out and here is the scenario; Wind picks up, sea gets very rough, you dump. How hard are these things to get back in a case like that?

It's getting near the end of summer so I'll look into a course. Anyone care to recommend a good place?

Vancouver Hiking

post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-31-2006, 11:28 PM

"How hard are these things to get back in a case like that?"

Almost impossible to get back in, even in calm waters.

The paddle float makes it easier. Attach paddle float to one end of paddle and attach the other end of paddle to webbing behind cockpit.
Use paddle as outrigger. The paddle will stabilize kayak as you try to climb onto back of cockpit and then into cockpit. The main thing though, is not to go out without a wet suit when the water is cold.

The Fraser Valley Regional Library has the DVD "Practical Kayaking"
call no. 797.1224. It covers self-rescues and other beginner topics.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-01-2006, 12:39 AM
Q
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: absoltely anything outdoors, kayaking, hiking, cycling, mountain biking,

You simply need to take a course to learn to do it properly. I believe you have about 5 minutes in the water here before you are in danger of hypothermia starting to take hold. (Or maybe that is just me)
Once learned it is actually very easy to get back into your boat, if it had capsized. At least it was for me. However, getting out of your wet clothes and into dry ones on a choppy sea is another story. Somewhat easy when with someone else. Next to impossible alone.
When at a kayak symposium I learned how to dump a kayak. Have it full of water. (Hatches as well as cockpit) And without assistance from paddle float, get back in and finally empty it of all water.(Bilge pump) Not easy. But doable. I beat everyone else. Was still shivering by the end of it![^]
They can take on enourmous amounts of water and not sink. There should always be some type of air space to keep it on the surface.

Some never paddle without a wetsuit particularly when alone on rough seas. Good advice. Hot in the sun but if you tip you will be happy. I personally take on the advice given to me by pros. "Dress for the water, not for the weather". In the middle of summer and with friends I don't worry about clothing. In winter I wear poly pro. If I was alone and on rough seas I am pretty sure I would have a wetsuit on.

I took my courses through Ecomarine. (2 locations) They are great and give discounts for rentals with lessons. The courses are fun and I felt so much more confident after them. Mind you, before I was blissfully ignorant. I also went to a kayak symposium for 3 years in a row which taught me tons of stuff. All kinds of rescue scenarios. Unconcious victim. Panicking victim. A sinking kayak being righted. All in. (That means all parties in a group have dumped the kayaks.)
Intros to rolling. Edging. Speed enhancement. Power strokes. It's all great to learn, but the most important is to know how to escape the cockpit when upside down. Everyone sitting in a kayak for the first time should be at least shown this procedure.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page