Kayak Trip - what GPS unit? - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-07-2003, 12:48 PM Thread Starter

Default Kayak Trip - what GPS unit?

I'm planning a kayaking trip this summer with my kids to Wallace Island, and am thinking that a waterproof GPS unit might be a worthwhile investment. Does anyone have any brand suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-07-2003, 02:20 PM
Summit Master

Interest: I enjoy hiking

The Garmin 76 line might suit your needs, waterproof plus they float! I have the GPSmap76s and I'm totally pleased with it.

Check out www.gpsinformation.net for tons of GPS info. I bought mine from www.gpscentral.ca, no hassle, good prices (no PST!) and quick service. LOL I sound like a car dealer!

post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-07-2003, 10:59 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Hiking, backpacking, snowshoeing, photography, computers, yoga and traveling.

Hey Stu, I know a number of people that use various Garmin eTrex models while kayaking.

I'm personally a Garmin fan, but for fun I was checking the Magellan site and there are some nice ones on there as well. The SporTrak Pro Marine looks pretty good and has some specific features for marine use. Its link is:

http://www.magellangps.com/en/produc...asp?PRODID=912

There's also a Meridian Marine. Its link is:

http://www.magellangps.com/en/produc....asp?PRODID=91

Both follow IEC-529 IPX7 specifications for waterproofing. I notice that all the eTrex models also follow that spec. If you use the eTrex case, it also floats.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-08-2003, 12:31 PM Thread Starter

The Garmin looks good, I'll also look at the others you mentioned. Any tips about things like the amount of memory?

Also have to figure out how to justify the expense... I'm planning a week long trip to the Broken Island group next year, may have to wait until then :-)

post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-08-2003, 05:54 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Hiking, backpacking, snowshoeing, photography, computers, yoga and traveling.

If you load the detailed base map for BC, you actually get a decent amount of detail of the islands. I went for the most, 24MB, so I could expand it with more maps, etc. If you go with the lower models, you don't get that ability. Really comes down to a function of how many toys you want on it. My batteries go a little quicker as well because of the barmetric altimeter (which you obviously won't use on the water) and the electric compass (which can be programmed to switch to GPS compass at predefined min speeds).

post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-13-2003, 02:48 PM
Summit Master

You don't necessarily need a GPS for sea kayaking. Although we have a garmin, we rarely even take it kayaking. If we do, we just stick it in our map bag on the deck - these are available for under $20 from MEC and keep your nautical chart right where you can see it as you paddle. It's actually just as easy to stay found on your nautical map by the standard navigational skills, rather than taking GPS readings all the time. If you navigate by GPS remember that nautical charts are in lat-long format not UTM.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-14-2003, 10:23 AM
Summit Master

Funny, I would be hooped without a GPS on the water. Every little bay and inlet looks the same out there to me and a map alone just doesn't cut it.

See you on the mountain!
post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-14-2003, 12:26 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: hiking, scrambling, biking, running, swimming, snowshoeing, snowboarding, x-country & backcountry skiing,

hey jim whats that BC base map like?? its not a topo is it? but does it have mountain peaks and valleys and rivers in it etc?? i held off on buying a unit because i thought i would have to use the coordinates in conjunction with a topo map to get location. not that that is tough but im lazy and usually a topo alone is suitable.
(because lets be honest 99% of my hiking is on well marked trails and GPS would be just for fun... not that i dont get my fill at work)

tkxs

post #9 of (permalink) Old 05-14-2003, 02:08 PM
Summit Master

My basemap has rivers, lakes, etc. Surprisingly, it has a very extensive road inventory including the backroads, logging roads, etc. We still have a bit of catching before we get to the good ones that are offered for the US. But I am told they are coming. Funny on the Mt Gardner hike, we used the GPS to help us decide whether to take the logging road back or take this other trail. I saw a big ass loop switchback for the road which inspired us to take the more direct trail. It is a toy though. As you note, many of the trails we're on are pretty well marked, etc. I've been thinking about trying some more daring off trail stuff though where it could come in handy.

post #10 of (permalink) Old 05-15-2003, 09:23 AM
Summit Master

Interest: I enjoy hiking

Hey Hikingpaul - check out http://www.garmin.com/cartography/
On the right there is "Map Source Map Viewer". Select "Canada Enhanced Basemap" on the combo box. It will show you a map of Canada. Zoom in using the controls, select "more" detail. Once the scale at the bottom gets to 2mi you can see the logging roads. This is the same map that gets loaded onto the GPS (except no color).

No peaks or topo maps though, that is limited to USA for now. The problem is, you can only load Garmin maps onto Garmin GPSs, and Garmin isn't the best map company! Garmin just came out with a Palm OS / GPS combo unit, so that shows promise with regards to loading 3rd party maps onto your GPS.

post #11 of (permalink) Old 05-20-2003, 11:16 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
quote:...map bag on the deck - these are available for under $20 from MEC and keep your nautical chart right where you can see it as you paddle. It's actually just as easy to stay found on your nautical map by the standard navigational skills, rather than taking GPS readings all the time.
Yeah, I have a chart bag, and successfully used charts to navigate by dead reckoning on my last trip through the Broken Island Group. But I was thinking that you might get more detail with a GPS (like more precise location of underwater rocks, for example), and a GPS might get you through a fog when you can't see far enough to spot coast features.

But I'm going to wait until at least next year to get a GPS anyway. The Wallace Island trip is a pretty tame paddle.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page