Recommendations in Yellowstone - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-05-2014, 03:50 PM Thread Starter
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: Hiking, Backpacking, Skiing, Space History
Default Recommendations in Yellowstone

I'm looking at the possibility of a 4-5 night trip in Yellowstone in early August. Ideally a loop but an in and out would be fine as well. Any recommendations?

Cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-05-2014, 04:14 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Do you mean spending 4-5 nights in the park or a 4-5 night backpacking trip?

My impression of Yellowstone based on one visit:
- It's a great park for driving. Roads have been built to most of the neat things and you can see a lot of really awesome stuff in a short amount of time. Early mornings and late evenings provide good wildlife viewing opportunities alongside the roads.
- Drop down to the Grand Tetons for more interesting hiking while you are in the area.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-05-2014, 05:02 PM
Summit Master

It will be super busy in August. I stayed outside the park (Gardiner - North Entrance) and day tripped into the park. Old Faithful, despite the tourists, is a must see.

Second Grand Tetons recommendation. It's almost a natural choice. Then you can loopback to I-15 via Jackson/Idaho Falls for quicker return up north.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-05-2014, 09:39 PM Thread Starter
Off the Beaten Path

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Steventy

Do you mean spending 4-5 nights in the park or a 4-5 night backpacking trip?

My impression of Yellowstone based on one visit:
- It's a great park for driving. Roads have been built to most of the neat things and you can see a lot of really awesome stuff in a short amount of time. Early mornings and late evenings provide good wildlife viewing opportunities alongside the roads.
- Drop down to the Grand Tetons for more interesting hiking while you are in the area.
We're looking at 4-5 nights of backpacking. I'll look into the Grand Tetons as well
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-05-2014, 10:26 PM
Headed for the Mountains

I third the Tetons, a couple amazing overnight hikes in that area.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-06-2014, 07:17 AM
Scaling New Heights

We were there only for 3 days in 2009 so couldn't do much hike, but Mount Washburn is an easy and very short hike. Take your down jackets with you, we were there in the middle of august and we woke up in -3C in the morning. If you have a tent, take a big tarp with you as it can rain. Firewood was expensive. We stayed in a campground, but book it in advance as it is extremely buys place. Otherwise beautiful place, like being on another planet.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-07-2014, 09:36 AM
Headed for the Mountains

Hey Kelly,

The wife and I went to Yellowstone last summer (trip report here: https://www.clubtread.com/sforum/topi...TOPIC_ID=57577).

I'd have to agree with the previous posters - Yellowstone's infrastructure is built around front-country, drive up experiences. And for the most part 95% of the people that visit the park stop there (I pulled that number out of my a$$ but you really don't need to go far to get away from the crowds).

Early starts are key for the frontcountry sights. We camped at Indian Creek Flats which was a decent staging point and quiet campsite. All of our hikes were out and backs - Mt. Washburn, Mt. Bunsen, Fairy Falls. I would have liked to have done Sepulcher, Avalanche, and some other backcountry hikes but we wanted to see the major sites then selectively get away from the crowds to spots that appealed to us.

The Grand Tetons are also pretty spectacular.

C
post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-07-2014, 10:12 AM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: SEA KAYAKING HIKING FISHING

I hiked the Hoodoo Basin route, starting from the Lamar Valley then up Miller Creek, a few years back. Never saw a soul the entire time. Many stands of dead trees from the big fire. Saw some elk, bison, a few wolves, two grizzly from a long distance away. The views were okay but I didn't think they were exceptional.

From Tower Junction on Northeast Entrance Road, drive 13 miles east to Lamar River trailhead. Map Trails Illustrated Yellowstone #201
post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-07-2014, 10:38 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Yellowstone has roads to most of the best stuff with "hikes" of various lengths to reach them. By and large the rest is pines and rocks. Even a dayhike like Fairy Falls (plus there are a few thermals nearby - I forget the names - but they're cool because they don't have rails/boardwalk) give you the backcountry feel as people don't go far from their cars in this park. Lamar valley, Hayden areas are more wide open and often good for wildlife viewing.

There are some good routes described in a guidebook I have, but no first hand experience.

I would recommend Tetons for backpacking:
https://www.clubtread.com/sforum/topi...TOPIC_ID=24425
post #10 of (permalink) Old 03-07-2014, 08:59 PM Thread Starter
Off the Beaten Path

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Sodbuster

Yellowstone has roads to most of the best stuff with "hikes" of various lengths to reach them. By and large the rest is pines and rocks. Even a dayhike like Fairy Falls (plus there are a few thermals nearby - I forget the names - but they're cool because they don't have rails/boardwalk) give you the backcountry feel as people don't go far from their cars in this park. Lamar valley, Hayden areas are more wide open and often good for wildlife viewing.

There are some good routes described in a guidebook I have, but no first hand experience.

I would recommend Tetons for backpacking:
https://www.clubtread.com/sforum/topi...TOPIC_ID=24425
Very much appreciated, this is exactly what I was looking for
post #11 of (permalink) Old 03-09-2014, 05:38 PM
Headed for the Mountains

We hiked into Heart Lake a couple of summers ago and stayed over 2 nights. It was very nice and the campsites (there are 6 on the west side of the lake) are isolated from each other. If you're ambitious you can hike up Mt Sheridan. It does get cold at night, even in August. Heart Lake does have some geothermal features.

Heart Lake

We were also going to do a similar overnighter to Shoshone Lake but cancelled as my wife had a bad migraine.

If you're looking for more info the "Top Trails" book on Yellowstone and Grand Teton is good, or go to the National Park website. I'd recommend reservations for both backcountry and frontcountry campsites.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page