Hiking recommendations in Europe in January? - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-06-2013, 11:04 PM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Default Hiking recommendations in Europe in January?

Hi all!

I'm going to Europe for more or less 10 days in January and really want to spend some days hiking. I am going to a concert in Stuttgart on the 17th, and will spend 3-4 days next to Paris where my family lives. Aside from that, my schedule is wide open. I previously hiked in France's western coast, Corsica, Canaria Islands, Spain, Portugal. Not-too relevant hikes as well in Belgium, Netherlands, Czech Rep, Hungary and Germany as well. All that was before I went into hiking/scrambling in the Rockies this year (hiked every weekend since May, so thankful for Marko who initiated me!). Basically, I'm looking to hike a total of 4-6 days (and why not in 2 different locations), I want some elevation gain (nothing too challenging though) and include tourism outside of crowded areas. I'm thinking of southern Europe to get better temperatures (of course Alps are not being considered since I'm planning to hike, not to snowshoe!), but I'm really not familiar with recommended locations in Italy, Greece, Spain or northern Portugal (already know southern Portugal). I'm also starting to think SE Europe might also be a good choice...so many options, really don't know where to start... please help me!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-08-2013, 12:50 AM
Headed for the Mountains

Hi there,

I used to live in Belgium and France for a couple years and did lots and lots of hiking in Europe. There are a couple nice GRs in southern France that take you along the coast like the GR 51 from Cassis to Marseille. I've hiked in Italy too, along the Amalfi Coast. Really beautiful terrain especially around the island of Capri. There are some nice hikes in Greece at Mt Olympus Nat'l Park, those may be too snowy though. Possibly Morocco but again, maybe too snowy. I can't speak of Eastern Europe, the farthest hiking I have done in the east would be Romania.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-08-2013, 09:17 AM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Thanks jeffs78!
Well, I'd like to avoid France... I lived 26yrs there, so I'd like to see something new! My initial guesses (weather-wise) are: Italy, Spain, Portugal, Balkans, Greece. I don't want to bring my snowshoes, so snow level definitely has to be low, so I'm not sure Sardegna or Sicilia would be a good choice since I'm in the understanding that you mostly go there in winter to ski.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page