South Africa - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-04-2013, 03:27 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: hikingbackpackingcrosscountry skiingsnowshoeing
Default South Africa

Happy 2013! We are planning a trip to South Africa for Oct./Nov this year and are wondering if anyone has suggestions for exploring and hiking? Any must-dos or must-sees? I have looked at past trip reports (thanks Lobo) and it looks amazing. We have about 4 weeks for the trip and enjoy both hiking and backpacking. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-04-2013, 04:15 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Exciting! I'm going there at the end of March. Here's the short version of our itinerary: extended stopover in Dubai -> Cape Town (Cape, penguins, Stellenbosch) -> Durban (Hluhluwe/St. Lucia safari) -> Drakensberg (Rainbow Gorge, scramble Cathedral Peak) -> beach time on the Golden Mile. I'm doing something completely different and using local tour guides for portions of the trip. I found some good deals on hotels in great locations so I can let you know how those work out too. Let me know if you have any questions during your planning stage, and definitely write me later on in April and I can give you some more detailed reviews.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-05-2013, 08:08 AM
High on the Mountain Top

The Otter Trail at Tsitsikamma is probably SA's most well known backcountry trek. It's a five day, 45 km trek along the south coast. I haven't done it completely, but I have day hiked parts of it. It's quite popular so you have to book well ahead. It's beautiful, much like our West Coast Trail. There is wonderful hiking in the Great Karoo and the Drakensbergs. I've hiked in the central Berg and northern Berg, but not the southern berg. There is some great hiking in Lesotho, near Sani Pass. That area has the highest death rate from lightning strikes in the world, so some care should be taken there. There are a couple of small towns, Sabie and Graskop that offer tons of hiking and mountain biking, adventures of all sorts. Of course in Cape Town you can hike up Table Mountain, well worth it. Upington in the north has some wonderful hiking, but they have some very dangerous snakes, like the puf Adder.
If you need any info on cheaper backpackers, I've stayed in many, or anything else, you can email me.
I wish both you and your husband and Dav and his wife a wonderful trip. It's a truly amazing country. It's tearing me apart because I very much want to go back again this year, but my wife and I have decided on the Indian Himalaya and will be skipping SA, unless of course, those lottery numbers finally hit. LOL

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page