Hiking in southeast Asia? - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-19-2012, 08:52 PM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

Location: Ask me next week, British Columbia, sometimes., Canada.
Interest: Hiking, soccer, hockey, running, photography, dogs, camping, environmental protection.
Default Hiking in southeast Asia?

I'll be headed to S.E.A. for awhile come January and I'd love to get some hikes done. I'm starting off in the Philippines and ending in Thailand, likely visiting Malaysia, Brunei, Indonesia, Singapore, Myanmar, plus the usual circuit of Thailand/Laos/Vietnam/Cambodia.

But plans are subject to change. What I'd like to know is... what hikes do you recommend?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-19-2012, 09:24 PM
Headed for the Mountains

I was down there for 7 weeks in 2008, and by far the best hike we did was Gunung Rinjani in Indonesia. It's 3726m, and the 2nd highest Volcano in Indonesia, with a giant lake-filled crater and a great hot springs. You can do it in 3-4 days, and if you want you can hire guides that will carry all your tent/sleeping bags/food/water etc and cook all your meals for you (for super cheap) Makes you feel incredibly spoiled, but on the other hand you are providing work for people that depend on people like us hiring them in order to feed their families, so why not?

Here are a few of my photos:

Afterwards, have a couple Bintangs (just a great beer) and head to the Gili Islands for some amazing beach time.

Also, unrelated to hiking, Thailand rules and you will have an amazing time there. Any questions feel free to PM me.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-19-2012, 09:55 PM
Summit Master

Interest: hiking,swimming,anything on the water or outside.Try almost anything once

No recomendations,but COOL!!!! Have a fantastic time!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-19-2012, 10:30 PM
Scaling New Heights

I highly recommend going to Dalat Vietnam and hiking Lang Bian Mountains. I rented a bike for about $2 for the day and biked 25km to the mountains. Once I got to the top, I was greeted by some locals. They could not believe that I could bike so far and climb a mountain by myself. We shared our lunches and then I biked back. It's a very cool and a less visited part of Vietnam. Great food and friendly people.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-20-2012, 11:24 AM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Hiking, soccer, hockey, running, photography, dogs, camping, environmental protection.

Lonny, that looks great. Thanks for the recommendation, I think I will certainly check that out. What part of Indonesia is it in?

Crowchild: that's good info. I'm looking to get into the much less touristy places - It seems that most of the tourist infrastructure, particularly in Laos, Thailand, Vietnam and Cambodia is set up for young partiers. I like beer quite alot but not enough to be shitfaced for months. Hence I'm looking for off the beaten track places.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-20-2012, 11:53 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by jd22

But plans are subject to change. What I'd like to know is... what hikes do you recommend?
I thought you wanted to be like a snuggie in the wind without a plan or itinerary?
post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-20-2012, 12:31 PM
Headed for the Mountains

It's on Lombok, the island east of Bali. If you surf, the south end of Lombok (Kuta) has great waves as well, and is much less crowded than Bali.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 11-20-2012, 12:39 PM
Summit Master

If you cross to Malaysian Borneo (ex Kota Kinabalu), I'd recommend ascent of Mt. Kinabalu. It is just above 4000 m and highest between Himalayas and Australia. Two days affair with "base camp" in Laban Rata -- lodge at 3400 m. It is classic trekkers destination and simple hike.

There are some cool places to visit before or after the hike:

"Tip of Borneo" -- meeting of Sulu and South China Sea
Sepilok orangutan center
Kinabatangan River jungle (Proboscis monkey sightings)
Pulau Tiga island (site of original Survivor). Lodge, nice beaches and many trails that criss-cross the island

Selamat Datang!
post #9 of (permalink) Old 11-20-2012, 12:57 PM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by leimrod

Quote:

I thought you wanted to be like a snuggie in the wind without a plan or itinerary?
I have likely destinations. Not plans. Besides, snuggies are always tied down to shoulders.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 11-20-2012, 12:59 PM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

Kinabalu looks like it must happen. Thanks for that zeljkok.
post #11 of (permalink) Old 11-20-2012, 02:47 PM
Dru
Super Moderator

Interest: climbing and spraying

Kinabalu has some great granite climbing too if you take your rock shoes.
post #12 of (permalink) Old 11-21-2012, 12:41 PM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

Also - any other awesome activities, or the best diving in your opinion.
post #13 of (permalink) Old 11-21-2012, 02:00 PM
Summit Master

Quote:

Also - any other awesome activities, or the best diving in your opinion.
While on Pulau Tiga I met British couple. They were traveling for 6 months; tried diving and liked it so much that they changed original plan and spent entire time hopping from island to island on diving trips.

There is nice reef just off Pulau Tiga; you can book diving at the lodge. They asked me to come with them one day. I am not a diver, so I just took snorkel while they went down for 45 min or so. They said it was incredible. They also recommended Sipadan as divers paradise
http://www.divinginsipadan.com/

Caution is required; I recall several years ago group of tourists being kidnapped by pirates and held hostages.
post #14 of (permalink) Old 11-22-2012, 02:22 AM
Scaling New Heights

I am originally from Malaysia and would highly recommend Mt Kinabalu. Diving is fantastic in Sipadan.

Make sure you visit the caves in Mulu Park. There is a hike there where you can check unusual rock croppings called the Pinnacles. Afterwards the hike can take you out the other side of the national park.

In Myanmar, I really enjoyed my trek from Kalaw to Inle Lake. It's really a hike through the countryside where you stay in villages.

Good times.
post #15 of (permalink) Old 11-22-2012, 11:31 AM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

Caving. Excellent. Are they walk in caves or squirm-on-your-belly-for-an-hour caves? I've done a bit of both... have to say I prefer walking.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page