hiking and biking Utah - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-18-2006, 07:44 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: hikingbackpackingcrosscountry skiingsnowshoeing
Default hiking and biking Utah

I have been following the great thread about Utah hikes and it looks great! Next March we are planning a 3-week holiday to the area and I wondered if anyone could share their list of "must-dos" in Utah. Will March (starting about March 11) be a good time to visit or will we perhaps have to head further south? Which parks are the best to explore? Can we safely explore any of the slot canyons on our own and are there any that make a good dayhike? We will probably have our car and I wonder if trailhead access will be a problem? ( We do have a truck and could use it instead if necessary to access more areas) We are strong hikers and intermediate mountain bikers and are excited to explore Utah. Thanks to all of you who have shared your adventures in that area!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-18-2006, 08:23 PM
Summit Master

Dig through the personal stuff and you'll find some places to visit

http://www.leelau.net/2000andprior/a...tahoct2000.htm - keep navigating through the site and stories to find stuff to see and places to hike and bike

post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-19-2006, 07:34 AM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: hiking, mountain biking, skiing, talking to my puppy, trekking in Nepal

Thunder Mountain is a mountain bike ride just outside of Bryce. Excellent trail, not technically difficult but absolutely stunning. Do this ride and there is no need to hike in Bryce if you are short on time. Gooseberry Mesa outside Zion perhaps do a small portion depending on your skill level, more technical but very fun.
In April we did have hot sunny weather and rode in shorts to be hit a week later by snowfall and headed to Moab at a lower elevation.

----------------------------------------
Surviving is important. Thriving is elegant.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-19-2006, 06:02 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Seriously active hiker/ mountaineer/ canyoneer

Mtnmom-there are lots of great hikes all over southern Utah, in fact, if you're new to the area, it will be hard to find a bad one because the landscape is so different. A few thoughts for you:

As a biker, you'll likely end up in Moab. within an hour or so of Moab are Arches and Canyonlands National Parks. Loads of great hikes in both. Chesler Park (which I'll be posting a TR for) in the Needles area, and the Devils Garden loop in Arches are both really great intros to the area.

Over near Hanksville, you have a terrific little loop through Little Wildhorse and Bell canyons. Both are narrow, bordering on slots and becoming very popular. Goblin Valley is worth a stop as well.

South of Moab, and west of Blanding, the Natural Bridges loop and the South Fork of Mule Canyon are both great day hikes. Grand Gulch is wonderful for overnight plus trips (this is ruin country)

The Escalante is one of my favorite areas. It is here that you'll find a number of easy slots, as well as very scenic, well-watered canyons. The Peekaboo/Spooky/Brimstone complex is the first place many people go for really scenic slots. Add in Zebra/Tunnel/Bighorn to the north, and Egypt 3 or Red Breaks for something a little more challenging. Coyote Gulch, Fiftymile, Davis -all great larger canyons.

Zion-all great, all the time, but busy. Zion Narrows, The Subway, East Rim, Angels Landing, the list goes on and on.

Paria-Buckskin Gulch is one of the worlds great backpack trips, IMHO. Reserve well in advance.

Just a small sampling, but it will keep you busy.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-19-2006, 09:34 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: Hiking, Scrambling, Trail Running, Mountain Biking, SAR

I have been to Utah 3 times in the past 6 years and have had an awesome trip every time. I have been as early as April 10, but never in March. I plan to go as well during Spring Break next March. Weather is pretty variable that time of year. Could have snow, could been warm and sunny. Either way it's a great place to be.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-22-2006, 08:47 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: hikingbackpackingcrosscountry skiingsnowshoeing

Thanks so much for your input...I have my maps out and am having lots of fun looking up all your suggestions!!! Planning is part of the adventure for me too...thanks again.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-26-2006, 04:10 PM
Scaling New Heights

I recently put up a trip report for Little Wild Horse Canyon that can be found if you click on my name. Enjoy.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-18-2008, 09:04 AM
vic

I have taken my hiking club to Utah 4 times and I love it there.
There are 5 National Parks and they are all great...Arches, Bryce,
Zion, Capitol Reef, and Canyonlands. My favourite hike is the Narrows in Zion....really different.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page