Chephren/Cirque Lake ridges? - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

1Likes
  • 1 Post By zeljkok

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-13-2021, 10:51 AM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Default Chephren/Cirque Lake ridges?

I've seen a picture from the top of this ridge overlooking Chephren Lake a couple of times, does anyone know what this shoulder is called? https://goo.gl/maps/dVjLyNPenTaJn8At9 I'd like to figure out if it's a full of bushwhack to get up there, or if there's some kind of trail. And what to expect from the scramble?

Also, I'd love to get up on this subpeak/shoulder overlooking Cirque Lake as well: https://goo.gl/maps/JinqL2CNeQ9mTU8c7 Anyone know what it's called? From what I can tell best route would be taking the hiking trail to the lake, then boulder hopping along the north shore of the lake around to the west side, and then scramble up around there.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-13-2021, 10:59 PM
Summit Master

My dear Jim Qwim, you come here only when you have questions. Would be nice to have other contribution, Rockies side is almost deserted

Re Chephren ridge. I've been plotting this for several years. Alan Kane has pic in his book from the ridge, so it is feasible. But it is not cakewalk & I don't think there is even rudimentary trail. My idea was to hike Cirque lake, trash across boulders on north side then head up talus at far end of the lake. On descent drop to Chephren lake and pick up trail scramblers use as approach for Mt Chephren. Would be a nice loop.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-14-2021, 07:45 AM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeljkok View Post
My dear Jim Qwim, you come here only when you have questions. Would be nice to have other contribution, Rockies side is almost deserted

Re Chephren ridge. I've been plotting this for several years. Alan Kane has pic in his book from the ridge, so it is feasible. But it is not cakewalk & I don't think there is even rudimentary trail. My idea was to hike Cirque lake, trash across boulders on north side then head up talus at far end of the lake. On descent drop to Chephren lake and pick up trail scramblers use as approach for Mt Chephren. Would be a nice loop.
Well, I can't be of much help, I don't live out west and only really know the popular well documented trails I've actually seen the photo from the ridge looking down at Chephren Lake in 2-3 photos now, and the people look very casually dressed, so I assume there must be a pretty straightforward way up. But I can't find any trip reports or beta anywhere
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-14-2021, 01:42 PM
Summit Master

No straightforward way up I am 100%. I'd love to see these "casually dressed" pics, can you post

Lack of TRs speaks for itself. I know of many sources out there and I haven't seen it either
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-14-2021, 03:58 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeljkok View Post
No straightforward way up I am 100%. I'd love to see these "casually dressed" pics, can you post

Lack of TRs speaks for itself. I know of many sources out there and I haven't seen it either
ok so found a thread where the person from one pic added some other pics, i guess the "casual" photo was a tripod shot after they set up camp they solo camped on the ridge, and described hours of bushwhacking to get above treeline.. so i guess that answers that

Last edited by qwimjim; 10-14-2021 at 04:09 PM.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-16-2021, 01:34 AM
Summit Master

This ain't so casual
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-10-15 at 10.32.11 PM.png
Views:	5
Size:	1.19 MB
ID:	289210

It is also quite high. Too bad for the smoke. Think Alan Kane has the shot taken from the bump below left of "casual" guy, could be wrong.

This is reverse shot from end of Chephren Lake hiking trail

Center left peak is where "casual" shot was taken. If one was to link Cirque and Chephren lakes, it would come on saddle on the right side, considerably lower from the "peak". Chephren scramble approach trail & moraine camp can be seen below in snow
ColdBrook likes this.

Last edited by zeljkok; 10-16-2021 at 03:42 PM.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-17-2021, 08:48 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: Hiking, backpacking, kayaking

I've made it across the bridge over Mistaya R for some photography. Now to keep going. (It always seems to be late in the day when I reach Waterfowl Lakes coming south on Icefields Parkway, but the area is worth some dedicated time.)
post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-18-2021, 12:59 AM
Summit Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdBrook View Post
I've made it across the bridge over Mistaya R for some photography. Now to keep going.

I would encourage you to keep going next time you are around. If I read you right, you'd enjoy hike to Chephren Lake. It is quite undemanding and short, only bit of elevation gain right after you cross Mistaya bridge. Lots of nice spots you can sit and enjoy views by the lake. Mornings are far better than afternoons for photos because of sun position.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page