Hiking The Rockwall solo - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-05-2021, 09:58 AM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Default Hiking The Rockwall solo

Hi,

So I thought I would post this question to the hiking community but I apologize if the question is a bit ambiguous. I have an upcoming backpacking trip for The Rockwall trail in the Rockies. My itinerary is:

July 11 - Paint Pots to Helmet Falls

July 12 - Helmet Falls to Numa Creek

July 13 - Numa Creek to Floe Lake

July 14 - Floe lake to trailhead.

Current plan is to park at Floe lake trailhead and hopefully hitch a ride to the Paint Pots trailhead. I will be doing the trip solo and this will still be dependent upon the snow conditions on the trail ( I will do my research before heading out). But here is the thing, I am a 33 year old male, avid hiker, fairly fit and am fairly comfortable backpacking on my own. I will be carrying my ten essentials along with my bear spray and a bear horn. Only thing is, I have never backpacked alone in grizzly country (most of my backpacking trips have been in Washington state where the you generally only encounter black bears and, not to underestimate them, but they are generally less aggressive than grizzlies). I would love for some insight from those who have done this hike previously, specially if you have done it solo but otherwise as well, as how I could tackle this trip on my own. Is the trail fairly busy? Which sections of the trail am I likely to find myself on my own? What are the chances of a bear encounter? Any other tips, advice or insights as I prepare for this backpacking trip? And of course, if by some co-incidence, your itinerary actually matches mine, I would appreciate a hiking companion. Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-05-2021, 03:47 PM
Summit Master

Trail is fairly busy but there will be extended parts when you will be on your own. Cherish these moments of solitude; there is nothing more annoying in nature than human voice. Bears are bears and in Canadian Rockies they can be encountered just about everywhere, not only in back-country.

On my Rockwall trip, also solo, I've seen griz on Wolverine Pass. This pic was taken 1min before; it was feeding on these slopes to the right, out of pic. It knew I was there & could not care less

Make noise, watch for signs (scat, tracks, etc.) and most importantly do not be afraid because you are just psyching yourself and will not enjoy the trip. Chances are slim you will see the bear; consider yourself lucky if you do. Bigger objective hazard are porcupines; at Floe camp it came overnight and chomped my sandal left in tent fly.

Detail report of my trip you might find usefl, with itinerary almost coinciding to yours here
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-05-2021, 10:33 PM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeljkok View Post
Trail is fairly busy but there will be extended parts when you will be on your own. Cherish these moments of solitude; there is nothing more annoying in nature than human voice. Bears are bears and in Canadian Rockies they can be encountered just about everywhere, not only in back-country.

On my Rockwall trip, also solo, I've seen griz on Wolverine Pass. This pic was taken 1min before; it was feeding on these slopes to the right, out of pic. It knew I was there & could not care less

Make noise, watch for signs (scat, tracks, etc.) and most importantly do not be afraid because you are just psyching yourself and will not enjoy the trip. Chances are slim you will see the bear; consider yourself lucky if you do. Bigger objective hazard are porcupines; at Floe camp it came overnight and chomped my sandal left in tent fly.

Detail report of my trip you might find usefl, with itinerary almost coinciding to yours here

Thank you so much for that detailed response. I read through your trip report and honestly I am even more excited now to do this trip. I am going to be prepared and take all the precautions, and enjoy those moments of solitude as you said. Thank you once again, appreciate the input and the trip report/.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-05-2021, 10:38 PM
Summit Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by fb123 View Post
Thank you so much for that detailed response. I read through your trip report and honestly I am even more excited now to do this trip. I am going to be prepared and take all the precautions, and enjoy those moments of solitude as you said. Thank you once again, appreciate the input and the trip report/.

Most welcome. You will have great time! And when you come back, post here and tell us how it went. Cheers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page