Mount Assiniboine – Entering the park from B.C. - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-14-2021, 04:32 PM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Default Mount Assiniboine – Entering the park from B.C.

Hello everyone,

I have Lake Og reserved for July 6 and Lake Magog for July 7 – 9. I am looking for some advice on entering the Mount Assiniboine Provincial Park from B.C. My “Plan A” is to drive from Vancouver to Banff (arriving on July 5th) and begin my hike on July 6th. Today (June 14th) the BC Government lifted the ban on travelling within B.C. However, I will have to wait until July 1st to see if I can drive into Alberta. I am optimistic that I will be able to drive into Alberta after July 1st. However, if I can’t I was thinking of driving to the Simpson River Trailhead in B.C. I can’t seem to find any updated information on the trail other than this web site https://canadianrockiestrailguide.co...t-assiniboine/

If I am not able to travel to Banff after July 1st my “plan B” would be to drive to the Simpson River trailhead and hike to the Surprise Creek junction (11 km 2 - 3 hours) and then to Ferro Pass (12 km 2-3 hours) and then camp at Mitchell Meadows campground (1.5 km). I would then hike the 6km to Lake Magog the next day.

On my hike out I thought I would either retrace my path and camp at the Surprise Creek campsite or take a different route and hike to and camp at Porcupine Campground and then hike out the next day.

Has anyone done this hike recently?
What is the parking situation at the Simpson River trailhead?
Do you see any issues with my itinerary?

Any help or guidance would be appreciated

Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-14-2021, 06:21 PM
Summit Master

You'll be ok with AB travel
Simpson alternative is Aurora Lake / Marvel Pass; one side of the lake is outside park, so wild bivi is permitted

https://www.mountaineers.org/activit...ss-aurora-lake

Then on day 2 you drop down to Marvel Lake & up to Assiniboine. Off the beaten path and very beautiful
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-16-2021, 02:24 AM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Thank you so much for the quick reply and the great advice. I found an old trip report on this hike and it looks like an amazing option.

Take care and stay safe.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page