Alexandra River - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-19-2021, 02:22 AM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Default Alexandra River

Hi all,

I'm (God help me) considering a jaunt up the Alexandra trail this Summer, hoping to make it to the meadows. However, I realize last summer that PC was conducting a burn up in the valley and had closed the campsite/ trail (news)

However however, I also see that the Alexandra valley is once again slated for burning in the fall of 2021 (PC link). I have a feeling that within a few years it will be all but impossible to access the meadows from the Castleguard side, so I'd really like to see it while I still can without glacier travel. However, I imagine that with the burns/ deadfall it's next to impossible--I also notice that PC is attempting to demolish the Alexandra Patrol Cabin.

Anyone got any info/ stories to share?

Side note: not sure if anyone's ever considered this, but part of me wants to investigate what it'd be like to cross over to BC via Thompson Pass and down to the Rice Brook road, though that seems pretty fanciful. I am pretty sure that road is due for repair this Summer though, but that's not confirmed.

-S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-19-2021, 02:53 PM
Summit Master

See if you can get hold of lobo; he still occasionally comes here & knows Alexandra inside-out, just as well as park wardens if not better. Think he backpacked to Terrace recently, or is planning to.

There is also 3rd way to Castleguard Meadows (besides Alexandra valley and Sask. Glacier). It's "Highline Route"; it follows valley south of Big Bend Peak to col between Mt. Saskatchewan and the Towers

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-05-19 at 12.46.51 PM.png
Views:	10
Size:	921.0 KB
ID:	286024

Crux is descent on the others side to Terrace Creek headwaters, but it can be done without ropes. Next col between Terrace and Castleguard Meadows is simpler. One can easily bag Mt. Terrace along the way.

I hiked a bit up Terrace Creek from Alexandra and there is trail, sort of, on east side. Presumably one could trash up that way too up to Terrace Headwaters and onto Castleguard Meadows. Sask. Glacier route is still the shortest though & although I have not done it myself I heard some people just boot it without crampons or ropes
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-19-2021, 07:47 PM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeljkok View Post
See if you can get hold of lobo; he still occasionally comes here & knows Alexandra inside-out, just as well as park wardens if not better. Think he backpacked to Terrace recently, or is planning to.

There is also 3rd way to Castleguard Meadows (besides Alexandra valley and Sask. Glacier). It's "Highline Route"; it follows valley south of Big Bend Peak to col between Mt. Saskatchewan and the Towers

Attachment 286024

Crux is descent on the others side to Terrace Creek headwaters, but it can be done without ropes. Next col between Terrace and Castleguard Meadows is simpler. One can easily bag Mt. Terrace along the way.

I hiked a bit up Terrace Creek from Alexandra and there is trail, sort of, on east side. Presumably one could trash up that way too up to Terrace Headwaters and onto Castleguard Meadows. Sask. Glacier route is still the shortest though & although I have not done it myself I heard some people just boot it without crampons or ropes
Oh this is great, thanks! Had never considered this route, looks promising. I'll try and do some scouting later in the season and report back.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page