Tonquin Valley Questions - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-11-2021, 10:34 PM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Default Tonquin Valley Questions

I have a trip planned in the Tonquin this year and I was wondering if there is a way to connect from the astoria river trail over Astoria pass and connect to the east side of Maccarib pass.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Astoria pass.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	2.01 MB
ID:	285220

I plan to enter via portal and just seeing if anyone has attempted something similar to this, thanks for any input.

Alex

Last edited by zeljkok; 04-11-2021 at 11:22 PM. Reason: Flip the image to correct orientation
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-11-2021, 11:40 PM
Summit Master

I am not Tonquin expert, but I doubt very much. Anything is doable but Astoria side looks really steep & bushy

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-04-11 at 9.40.47 PM.png
Views:	3
Size:	1.10 MB
ID:	285224

It would also be hard to justify this crossover as everyone is bound for Amethyst lakes, 1 way or the other. It might be more appealing to turn left after crossing Maccarib Pass and climb into alpine bowl between Mt. Maccarib & Mt. Clitheroe

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-04-11 at 9.35.29 PM.png
Views:	4
Size:	1.42 MB
ID:	285222

There seems to be very nice alpine lake there & good bivi. Think there are also some scramble routes to these peaks from this bowl. This image, taken from here, shows relative ease of access to this bowl from Maccarib Pass (roughly center)

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-04-11 at 9.48.59 PM.png
Views:	26
Size:	723.0 KB
ID:	285226

Then it might be feasible to drop down huge talus slope east of Old Horn Mtn and reconnect with Astoria trail that way. Or scramble down directly to Amethyst lakes. lobo might know more if he sees this

Last edited by zeljkok; 04-11-2021 at 11:51 PM.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-12-2021, 08:51 PM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Thanks for this, it was something i wanted to look into. Due to the situations this year with covid I was trying to find ways of avoiding hitch hiking between trailheads. From what i have been able to dig up it may not be worth it. I may just return back the way I entered or bite the bullet and bike the difference.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-12-2021, 10:17 PM
Summit Master

Here's what I would do: Hike in via Portal (as planned), then on return from Amethyst Lakes instead of hiking down Astoria, trash up alpine bowl between Maccarib and Clitheroe, explore, then down to Maccarib Pass. Astoria Trail is not that exciting anyways, while you can bivi in that Maccarib/Clitheroe alpine bowl & explore beautiful area nobody goes to. Now I feel like going myself, lol

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page