Side trips along Rockwall trail? - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-24-2020, 12:47 PM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Default Side trips along Rockwall trail?

Parks Canada opened up backcountry camping reservations today and I managed to get permits for the Rockwall trail in September. I booked 3 nights: Helmet Falls, Tumbling Creek, and Numa Creek (Floe Lake had zero availability in the system). This gives me a very short third day, 8km from Tumbling Creek to Numa Creek. I'm was wondering if anyone knows of any peak scrambles or any other side trips that might be suitable to pad that day out. Activities based in either Tumbling Creek or Numa Creek would be ideal. I can head out early from Tumbling Creek and take a side trip in the afternoon near Numa Creek, or do an early side trip before heading from Tumbling Creek to Numa Creek.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-24-2020, 02:37 PM
Summit Master

Not so many options. Numa Creek is in a hole with nowhere really to go. Best side-trip on Rockwall is Numa Peak, easily reached from Numa Pass but that is practical as day trip from Floe Lake only because of huge elevation gain from Numa camp.

Your best bet is probably to spend time at Tumbling Pass. It is a lovely alpine ~1hr from Tumbling creek camp. Stash your overnight gear then can maybe hike up ridge on east side (~2400m elevation), or descend on other side and explore a bit at toe of Tumbling Glacier:

This is looking back where you came from; Tumbling glacier is across, and on far right is nice tarn --source of Tumbling Creek-- you could probably get to.

https://autumnsky.zenfolio.com/rocki...e-rockwall#bp3

Descent from Tumbling Pass to Numa camp is quite brutal btw
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-25-2020, 09:03 AM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Ok, this is super helpful. Will plan to break up the hike from Tumbling to Numa camps by exploring the Tumbling pass area.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-25-2020, 10:50 PM
Hittin' the Trails

I wouldn't bother descending to Numa Creek, instead spend the morning in Tumbling Pass, as far as the point where the steep descent to Numa begins, then pick up your gear at Tumbling camp and descend to Paint Pots, where you began, saving a hitch hike, if you have one car. Tumbling Creek is more attractive than Numa Creek.

Helmet Falls to Tumbling Creek is just 12 km, so I recommend hiking up to Goodsir Pass in the morning, then returning to HF camp and continuing to TC. If you have the time, heading off trail from the summit of GP, in either direction, is worthwhile.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-26-2020, 02:45 AM
Summit Master

Tend to agree with JHector... I always thought Rockwall consists of 2 parts: Floe - Numa Pass, and Tumbling - Helmet. Numa Creek "black hole" is brutal anyway you slice it. Its just for completionist to say "I hiked whole Rockwall in one piece that is main appeal.

Goodsir Pass is e-x-c-e-l-l-e-n-t idea. I will return at some point 2 nites at Helmet with full day with light pack just for Goodsir. Then 3rd night at Tumbling and out that way. Floe, however beautiful it is tends to be a gong-show and is probably a bit overrated too. Real Rockwall is on the other side
post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-07-2020, 11:37 AM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Thanks to both of you for these suggestions, and sorry for the delay in my response. Got swept up in work and forgot to check back into this.

It looks like HF to GSP is 8km return, which should leave plenty of time for doing the 12km to TC at a leisurely pace later in the day. The fact that you can head straight down to Paint Pots from Tumbling makes this alternative look pretty promising:
- Day 1 PM: Paint Pots to Helmet Falls
- Day 2 AM: Helmet Falls to Goodsir Pass and back
- Day 2 PM: Helmet Falls to Tumbling Creek
- Day 3 AM: Tumbling Pass to TC camp and back, then down to PP car park via TC.

Does this seem more or less like what you are suggesting?
post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-07-2020, 01:01 PM
Hittin' the Trails

That's the ticket! If the weather on day 2 rules out the trip to Goodsir, it's feasible to hike over to Tumbling and then straight out to Paint Pots, unless you wish to camp another night. But if the weather is lousy, and the flowers are in bloom, Goodsir Pass is still worthwhile, especially meadows just above and east of the summit.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GoodsirPass3.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	214.2 KB
ID:	277698  

Click image for larger version

Name:	GoodsirTowers3.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	171.7 KB
ID:	277700  

Last edited by JHector; 07-07-2020 at 01:11 PM.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 07-07-2020, 01:13 PM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Got it! Thanks a lot.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 07-07-2020, 04:20 PM
Summit Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbs02002 View Post
- Day 2 AM: Helmet Falls to Goodsir Pass and back
- Day 2 PM: Helmet Falls to Tumbling Creek

While this is feasible in terms of distance I'd consider it way too rushed for single day. There are so many candies on HF to TC part, incl. probably nicest alpine meadow I've ever seen at Rockwall Pass and then Wolverine Pass with log cabin you just need to stop by

https://autumnsky.zenfolio.com/rocki...e-rockwall#bp2

I strongly recommend 2 nites & HF. Explore Goodsir Pass with light pack at leisure, don't just run out-and-back as fast as you can knowing you have hike with full pack waiting in PM. You can also spend few hours at HF by exploring base of the Falls. Then tomorrow full day to enjoy without rush on HF to TC crossover.

Rest looks good
post #10 of (permalink) Old 07-11-2020, 09:37 AM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeljkok View Post
While this is feasible in terms of distance I'd consider it way too rushed for single day. There are so many candies on HF to TC part, incl. probably nicest alpine meadow I've ever seen at Rockwall Pass and then Wolverine Pass with log cabin you just need to stop by

https://autumnsky.zenfolio.com/rocki...e-rockwall#bp2

I strongly recommend 2 nites & HF. Explore Goodsir Pass with light pack at leisure, don't just run out-and-back as fast as you can knowing you have hike with full pack waiting in PM. You can also spend few hours at HF by exploring base of the Falls. Then tomorrow full day to enjoy without rush on HF to TC crossover.

Rest looks good
Thanks for the suggestion. I thought about it but there's no availability at TC for the third night. So we will either do the 2-night itinerary above or do the whole trail including the TC-->Numa-->Floe Lake portion. I don't think doing HF-->GSP-->HF + HF-->TC in one day will be too bad, we've got ultralight gear and are pretty used to 20-30km days with lots of elevation changes. If a cancellation makes TC available we'll switch the itinerary up to your suggestion.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page