1Likes
  • 1 Post By zeljkok

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-09-2020, 11:45 PM Thread Starter
CEB
Scaling New Heights

Interest: Backpacking, hiking, Skiing, Mtn Biking, Windsurfing, Dirt Biking
Default Sunshine Village closed this summer- Assinboine access

So, I finally decide to do the Assiniboine hike and even get a coveted permit only to find out Sunshine Village is closed this summer so no luxurious Gondola ride and easy hike start.

Because Iím driving from the Okanagan my plan was to only hike in to the Howard Douglas Lake campsite (I have a permit for that too) so at least I donít have to get the whole way in to Assiniboine.

Whatís the hike in from the Parking lot like and are there any other better options/tips? My cousin has decided to join me and it will be her first backpack trip so Iím a little afraid of ruining her experience on day 1.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-10-2020, 01:59 AM
Summit Master

I walk that road often. That's all there is to it -- roadwalk. Think around 450m vertical, 5.5km or so. Takes me 1:15 up, 45min down but that is with light pack, add 25% with overnight
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-11-2020, 01:11 AM
Hittin' the Trails

If you have the time and prefer a trail, there is a route that is about twice as long: from the parking lot, head to Simpson Pass, then ascend to Wawa Ridge and continue on the Twin Cairns trail to Rock Isle Lake, and then on to Howard Douglas Lake. Nice larch scenery and flower meadows, and minimal exposure to ski resort structures.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-14-2020, 02:09 AM Thread Starter
CEB
Scaling New Heights

Thanks, I just looked at where I think youíre talking about, it looks like itís part of the Great Divide Trail? I donít think weíll have time to go that way this time but I think it would be great to do it in the future so thanks for sharing that.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-15-2020, 03:01 PM
Summit Master

Hike over Simpson Pass & Wava over to Rock Isle is indeed very scenic; only problem is that you have over 5km of rather boring Healy Pass trail first to get to Simpson Pass junction (in which time one can already finish up the road).

But it is a good idea, because Howard Douglas camp is close (3-4 hrs if one walks the road). Simpson variation would be 6-7 hrs & manageable even if coming from Okanagan. btw there is so much snow in Sunshine who knows if it's even going to melt this year lol
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-15-2020, 09:28 PM Thread Starter
CEB
Scaling New Heights

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeljkok View Post
btw there is so much snow in Sunshine who knows if it's even going to melt this year lol
Iíd wondered that and itís one of the reasons I wanted to hike BC this year because I like the mountains better when thereís snow on them. My Sierra trip last year was extra special because there was so much.

Iím going to Assiniboine late July so I was thinking mosquitos would be the main thing my Cousin will hate me for but is there actually a good chance of snow in the passes/highest points on the trail then that might mean postholing or carrying microspikes? I always think of the Rockies as not high enough to be much of a snow problem in the summer but I havenít ever been there in a huge snow year. We still have snow up high here in the Okanagan though.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-15-2020, 09:43 PM
Summit Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEB View Post
is there actually a good chance of snow in the passes/highest points on the trail then that might mean postholing or carrying microspikes.

You won't need spikes for sure. Might be (will be) snow patches in shady areas, but just have gaiters. Still a lot of time left, should melt by end of July

btw these are webcams to check
https://www.skibanff.com/conditions
CEB likes this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page