16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of (permalink) Old 06-07-2020, 09:20 PM
Summit Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodenshoes View Post
Day 1 Panorama is the lone possibility. Temple and Eiffel ur gonna die

Day 2 avy terrain for both, wet sloughs ur gonna die

Day 3 IF by Mt Rundle u mean EEOR then that's fine. Cascade,,,,,,,u guessed it ur gonna die

and BTW forget AllTrails for any kind of accurate information. ESPECIALLY bear reports. You're better off calling Parks Canada

Even Pano Ridge is not good IMO. Moraine Rd is still closed & Consolation trail probably a mess. Fording lake outlet is likely brutal. Not a season basically.

Agreed re AllTrails. Even more dangerous are various FB groups, "Scrambles in Canadian Rockies" etc full of unmoderated misinformation posted by ppl that have no place in mtns in the first place

Btw there is fresh snow on Grotto and Lady Mac this afternoon. Can't quite remember spring like this
Ni Jin likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of (permalink) Old 06-07-2020, 10:20 PM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Thanks for the inputs everyone.

wooden shoes, I'm not going near any of those as Zeljkok scared me with the same death warning early on.

Good point Kokanee75, indeed Aylmer Lookout could be done on my way up Aylmer next time so one day can be saved here, which is important as there are more trails & mountain peaks waiting for us to explore than days in our life
I did Plain of six Glaciers /tea house before, great scenery but super busy. I thought the higher we go the less crowded it'd be (& better scenery)- will have to come back when it's safer.

My new plan-
1) Grotto
https://forums.clubtread.com/130-can...ar-canyon.html
https://autumnsky.zenfolio.com/canmore/grotto
New snow in June? Snow is fine, I've been hiking/snowshoeing all winter, as long as no avalanche risk.

2) EEOR & Rundle Ridge
https://autumnsky.zenfolio.com/canmore/EEOR
https://stevensong.com/canadian-rock...ndle-main-peak

3)Sarrail Ridge via Rawson Lake Trail
https://autumnsky.zenfolio.com/rocki...s/rawson-ridge
https://www.alltrails.com/trail/cana...son-lake-trail

Here is a question for you- can Rawson Lake Ridge be done in a loop (as in attached)?
I see out & back being favoured by both Zeljkok & Alltrails.com
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4455.PNG
Views:	35
Size:	1.23 MB
ID:	276502  

post #18 of (permalink) Old 06-07-2020, 10:25 PM
Headed for the Mountains

The bear report with picture was from Fb ;-) - pretty grown up cub probably in his last year but injured somehow, so Momma is even more alert.

OH, okay, if you did the rest of Lake Louise already, then skip it.

Grotto: what I don't like about these mountains (also LadyMac) - you get a nice view of the Highway you just drove and the industry nearby.

I think Rawson is still an out and back at the moment and you have to alter your ridge route perhaps a bit because of snow... Little Lawson could be an option for a view.
Ni Jin likes this.

Last edited by Kokanee75; 06-07-2020 at 10:31 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of (permalink) Old 06-07-2020, 10:35 PM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokanee75 View Post
The bear report with picture was from Fb ;-) - pretty grown up cub probably in his last year but injured somehow, so Momma is even more alert.

OH, okay, if you did the rest of Lake Louise already, then skip it.

Grotto: what I don't like about these mountains (also LadyMac) - you get a nice view of the Highway you just drove and the industry nearby.

I think Rawson is still an out and back at the moment and you have to alter your route perhaps a bit because of snow... Little Lawson could be an option for a view.
Grizzly sounds scary, is there realistic chance to encounter some on those busy trails?

I thought the views of the surrounding mountains must be stunning - if you look up, no??
post #20 of (permalink) Old 06-07-2020, 10:35 PM
Summit Master

Quote:

I don't disagree in principle. But there are good views north into much less visited areas of Fairholme range. Bigger issue for me is steep elev. on eroded trails. Best bang for the buck IMO is full Grotto traverse, Carter up 3 hr ridgewalk & Cougar ridge down. Need 2 cars or bicycle thou.

Rawson ridge totally not in shape now & wasted day. Come back in a month for that
Ni Jin likes this.
post #21 of (permalink) Old 06-07-2020, 11:46 PM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeljkok View Post
Bigger issue for me is steep elev. on eroded trails.

Rawson ridge totally not in shape now & wasted day. Come back in a month for that
Zeljkok, the direct route looks much steeper than Grouse Grind isn't it? (~1.7xGG elevation)
Agree with you the full ridge traverse is the best deal(only 10km).

Last edited by Ni Jin; 06-07-2020 at 11:58 PM.
post #22 of (permalink) Old 06-08-2020, 12:03 AM
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ni Jin View Post
Grizzly sounds scary, is there realistic chance to encounter some on those busy trails?

Fun fact, yes, it is. Especially now because of all the snow still up there. But another reason for them to be there: protection from male grizzlies, they figured it's not a bad idea to be in busy areas sometimes. You should simply behave.

Quote:
I thought the views of the surrounding mountains must be stunning - if you look up, no?
I don't know, somehow I haven't made it up these mountains yet even though I consider them here and there. But I am also not so much into being on top of a mountain.
post #23 of (permalink) Old 06-08-2020, 12:30 AM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Quote:
Fun fact, yes, it is. Especially now because of all the snow still up there. But another reason for them to be there: protection from male grizzlies, they figured it's not a bad idea to be in busy areas sometimes. You should simply behave.

I don't know, somehow I haven't made it up these mountains yet even though I consider them here and there. But I am also not so much into being on top of a mountain.
What you mean by simply behave? If they decide to take you for a snack, how should you behave?

BTW, perhaps you'd change your mind if you made to the top of these mountains?
post #24 of (permalink) Old 06-08-2020, 01:11 AM
Summit Master

Quote:
Zeljkok, the direct route looks much steeper than Grouse Grind isn't it? (~1.7xGG elevation)
Agree with you the full ridge traverse is the best deal(only 10km).

Grind is different because it's all stairs. But yes, it's steep. I went once up Grotto direct route & it's not that bad. But "Cougar Ridge" (as per my website, explored way before it made it to Kane book) is prob. best way up because it is still relatively unknown and not eroded + it has some real nice views into the Cougar & even bit of real scrambling.

Re views -- agreed, the higher you go usually the better they are. And regardless of "stare at highway and industry" opinions, views south across Bow Valley are quite special. Tons of peaks, 3 Sisters dominating the horizon. Great treat for out of town visitor. If Highway bothers you, just don't look down.

btw fresh snow everywhere. EEOR is all white.
Ni Jin likes this.
post #25 of (permalink) Old 06-11-2020, 02:01 AM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeljkok View Post
But "Cougar Ridge" (as per my website, explored way before it made it to Kane book) is prob. best way up because it is still relatively unknown and not eroded + it has some real nice views into the Cougar & even bit of real scrambling.
Cougar Ridge sounds my fav trail- nice views+ real scrambling+ little to no traffic (hence not eroded)

If anyone has ever closely encountered or wrestled with a grizzly, I'd love to hear your stories

I've had close encounters with them only at the zoo on top of Grouse Mt, & I feel sorry for them every time I see them. But having them roaming freely near the trails I walk on would surely scare the daylights out of me!!
post #26 of (permalink) Old 06-11-2020, 06:24 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Here you have an
of how polite they are.

Last year we accidentally ran into a grizzly mom with two cubs pretty close - mom was very cool, the problem in this case was that the cubs are hopefully not too curious coming towards you. All I can say is that it happens pretty quickly (we still don't know how she could appear so suddenly), but they also move on pretty quickly. You must have really bad luck to get into serious trouble. Retreating on a narrow trail keeping an eye on the bear is very theoretical - I have the impression that they know that they are better in the field looking at this stiff hikers.. Overall: don't run, stay calm. And overall it's still not very likely to meet an overly interested bear. Make noise.
Ni Jin likes this.
post #27 of (permalink) Old 06-11-2020, 08:19 PM
Summit Master

Just last week I've ran into bears twice within Canmore city limits. Once at Quarry Lake; sat on picnic bench & watched him/her feed for 30 mins. Second time at edge of forest by Bow; saw me, went on hind legs, sniffed and turned away. I'd say as far as Canmore goes elk are now more dangerous than bear; there are warnings posted all over the city about aggressive elk mom. Last yr about this timeframe one simply decided I was danger to her calf feeding nearby and moved to block my path, city park.
Ni Jin likes this.
post #28 of (permalink) Old 06-12-2020, 12:17 AM
High on the Mountain Top

There are 12 grizzlies in the Athabasca River valley at the moment mainly because of the lack of people and the elk calf smorg. These photos are taken in the last three days. The first one is a big male that I stumbled upon while on an early morning walk. I called out to him and he opened his eyes and just went back to sleep. The next day I came across a mom with two newborns. I got to watch them frolic for quite a while and then yesterday I encountered, while on another walk, this mom with three yearling cubs. She could care less that I was there and I got to watch two of the cubs go at it for about half an hour. They just stopped fighting, went back to mom and they meandered off. It's quite a time to be in Jasper if you like wildlife.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN5078.jpeg
Views:	20
Size:	795.2 KB
ID:	276708  

Name:	DSCN5085.jpeg
Views:	17
Size:	809.3 KB
ID:	276710  

Name:	TJV_3409.jpeg
Views:	18
Size:	886.7 KB
ID:	276712  

Name:	TJV_3570.jpeg
Size:	977.4 KB
ID:	276714  

Name:	TJV_4144.jpeg
Views:	19
Size:	704.7 KB
ID:	276716  

Name:	TJV_4382.jpeg
Size:	907.7 KB
ID:	276718  

martin and Ni Jin like this.
post #29 of (permalink) Old 06-12-2020, 12:32 AM
Summit Master

Wow. Just wow
I'll never know how you get these & am more than a little jealous.

But that "couldn't care less" is great point that most people don't understand & believe bears in National Parks are thinking all the time only how to attack hikers
Ni Jin likes this.
post #30 of (permalink) Old 06-12-2020, 12:49 AM
High on the Mountain Top

The vast majority of grizzlies could care less, but then there are a couple that scare you. I was bluff charged twice by an enraged female up Alexandra River and then by this guy in 2018 south of Hinton. This guy was a badass. This is the only picture of the thousands of grizzly pictures that I have where I am being charged. Of course he stopped short and walked back into the bush. He was with a female during mating season so I guess that I was disturbing him.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	TJV_3014.jpeg
Views:	21
Size:	942.9 KB
ID:	276720  

Ni Jin likes this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page