User Tag List

34Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #121 of (permalink) Old 06-07-2020, 11:48 AM
Scaling New Heights

Interest: Hiking, backpacking, kayaking

Found more specific information on Berg Lake Trail, overnight and day use:
http://bcparks.ca/explore/parkpgs/mt...perating-dates

Of interest, trail opens 6-15 for registered overnight backpackers. Still closed are Picnic Shelter at trailhead, Hargreaves Shelter (at Berg Lake).
This suggests the other, open-sided shelters along the route will be open.

Trail opens 6-15 to day users, who must register; registration will be conducted on back deck of the closed Visitor Centre.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of (permalink) Old 06-07-2020, 12:14 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeljkok View Post
June 3 '20
First look at Lake Louise after partial reopening of Canada National Parks:
Attachment 276424
I recall being there in early May of 2010 and there was less ice in the lake than now. It seems winter conditions are persisting longer into springtime these past few years.

post #123 of (permalink) Old 06-07-2020, 05:12 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by xj6response View Post
I recall being there in early May of 2010 and there was less ice in the lake than now. It seems winter conditions are persisting longer into springtime these past few years.

Yes. This season is something else from different aspects. Covid, ultra late snow and quite brutal weather (think normal coast x 2). Will be interesting to see what happens next, but it could shape up to be really nice prime months July - September because of significantly lower # of visitors. I never go to Louise area in summer, this year I might.

One interesting update: The other day, as east Banff Park Gate re-opened, I stopped to inquire about Park Pass. My old one expired end of March and I could not get new one because of Covid. Parks employee told me "We are not functional yet". I asked what will happen if I park at Louise with expired pass, he just waved me off.

Last edited by zeljkok; 06-07-2020 at 05:16 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #124 of (permalink) Old 06-07-2020, 09:22 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeljkok View Post
Yes. This season is something else from different aspects. Covid, ultra late snow and quite brutal weather (think normal coast x 2). Will be interesting to see what happens next, but it could shape up to be really nice prime months July - September because of significantly lower # of visitors. I never go to Louise area in summer, this year I might.

One interesting update: The other day, as east Banff Park Gate re-opened, I stopped to inquire about Park Pass. My old one expired end of March and I could not get new one because of Covid. Parks employee told me "We are not functional yet". I asked what will happen if I park at Louise with expired pass, he just waved me off.

automatic 4 month bonus on all passes e.g. My pass expires Apr 2020. It now expires end of Aug
post #125 of (permalink) Old 06-07-2020, 09:32 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodenshoes View Post
automatic 4 month bonus on all passes e.g. My pass expires Apr 2020. It now expires end of Aug

Didn't know this. Thanks much Sid!
post #126 of (permalink) Old 06-07-2020, 10:24 PM
High on the Mountain Top

For residents of Jasper and for people who reside outside the park but work in the park passes are available by email. For residents you photograph your car registration and email to parks and they will mail you a new residents pass. For people living outside the park but work within you photograph you vehicle registration and your staff ID and email it in. Banff is probably the same.
zeljkok likes this.
post #127 of (permalink) Old 06-07-2020, 10:49 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Lobo, this is your area; I totally missed Howse Flats to Glacier Lake spring tradition because of Covid. Would you say it's too late now even if we get a sunny day because of high water?
post #128 of (permalink) Old 06-07-2020, 11:31 PM
High on the Mountain Top

I didnít make it this year either. Itís been raining here all day and the Athabasca is quite high, but the Howse flats should still be good. That one crossing at about km 4.0 might be tough, but can be avoided if you bushwhack around it. I was going to Alexandra tomorrow with my saw, but as you know, that trail is overgrown and sucks when wet. Iíll try next week.
zeljkok likes this.
post #129 of (permalink) Old 06-08-2020, 12:24 AM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by lobo View Post
I didnít make it this year either. Itís been raining here all day and the Athabasca is quite high, but the Howse flats should still be good. That one crossing at about km 4.0 might be tough, but can be avoided if you bushwhack around it. I was going to Alexandra tomorrow with my saw, but as you know, that trail is overgrown and sucks when wet. Iíll try next week.

Thanks. I usually bushwhack on right around that one. Maybe I'll give it a go if we live to see sunny day around here

Bow crazy high around here too & flood warnings. Cougar still good thou
post #130 of (permalink) Old 06-08-2020, 01:10 AM
High on the Mountain Top

A friend of mine hiked to Snowbird glacier at Mt Patterson yesterday and had to cross the Mistaya River. He said that the river was knee deep and swift, but fairly easy to cross. The Howse is a bigger river, but it gives you an idea of what to expect.
post #131 of (permalink) Old 06-14-2020, 06:33 AM
Headed for the Mountains

From what I can tell - BC parks camping is only available for BC residents and Alberta parks camping is only available for Alberta residents this summer.
Can anyone confirm?
I guess the rest of us will have to hope for a spot in one of the national parks?
post #132 of (permalink) Old 06-14-2020, 11:43 AM
Scaling New Heights

In the course of canceling my Berg Lake Trail reservation, I received the following in an email. It seems to be the most complete (though what is "camping season"?):

Quote:
ē BC Parks has limited campsite reservations to BC residents only for the 2020 camping season. If you are not a resident of BC you can cancel your reservation and receive a full refund prior to June 15th. Please call Toll free from Canada/USA: 1 800 689-9025

<snip>

ē A Check-In is required at the Mount Robson Visitor Center

ē A registration window will be open 7 days a week from 8 am to 4 pm PST on the back deck of the Visitor Center Building. You must check-in during these open hours to receive your backcountry camping passes. Last check-in of the day begins at 3:30 PM PST
It goes on...

Elsewhere, I found info that day hikers must also register on the back deck of the Mt Robson Visitor Centre, and the number will be limited.

Last edited by ColdBrook; 06-14-2020 at 12:10 PM.
post #133 of (permalink) Old 06-14-2020, 03:29 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

While I sort of understand logic behind "province residents only" (limit traffic == limit spread), it is ironic you can't legally go backpack Berg Lake if you live in Jasper 1hr away, but can drive 9 hrs from Vancouver to do so

All these tourist backpacks have so much commercialized & been overrun even without covid, they are simply not worth regardless how scenic they are. There are other ways
post #134 of (permalink) Old 06-14-2020, 04:35 PM
Scaling New Heights

zeljkok,
For a first-timer, or even a third-timer, a tourist backpack could still have value.
For comparison, a recent F/B post from Washington State, where No Parking on side of road is in force, sort of:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/wash...5273750698952/

So, yes, it looks like the entrance road to the Berg Lake trailhead on a nice weekend in August.
Which is why I aim for shoulder seasons and hope it snows, to deter others, but not too much! Last September no site on BLT was full, and Berg Lake campground itself was probably 1/3 empty when I was there. The hike in from the North Boundary Trail looks like fun, less so on my own. (Also, I think the bus back to Jasper has been discontinued; am not sure.)

I am looking forward to next year's visit, to try out some of Howesthehike's backpacks and range more widely from tourist-bespoke areas. I've picked up more ideas already from this site than I can put to use. So thank you to everyone for posting!

Last edited by ColdBrook; 06-14-2020 at 04:37 PM.
post #135 of (permalink) Old 06-18-2020, 04:10 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Existing backcountry camping reservations for Jasper will be honoured as of June 21st and new reservations will start to be taken on the 24th. It will take parks a few extra days to get the reservation system running. Although, not every campground will be available. But the ones I want will be. Very good news.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page