COVID-19 in Canadian Rockies - Page 7 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

34Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #91 of (permalink) Old 05-05-2020, 08:02 AM
Headed for the Mountains

Good to hear things are opening up.
Would love to hear more about if/how this has affected wildlife in the parks.
Also, how might it affect availability of backcountry sites in peak season (assuming they are open by August)? Anyone think there may actually be openings in peak areas (Robson, Rockwall, Assiniboine) due to many cancellations? I just checked Robson and Rockwall and they are full at the end of August, but it's also not clear how much the reservation system is functioning at all right now....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of (permalink) Old 05-05-2020, 11:02 AM
Scaling New Heights

Interest: Hiking, backpacking, kayaking

It's my impression that when reservations are not being taken, all sites show not available on the Discover Camping website.

Here is a thread on making reservations:
https://forums.clubtread.com/162-can...n-website.html
post #93 of (permalink) Old 05-05-2020, 02:16 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: Hiking, Backpacking, Skiing, Space History

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpdp View Post
Good to hear things are opening up.
Would love to hear more about if/how this has affected wildlife in the parks.
Also, how might it affect availability of backcountry sites in peak season (assuming they are open by August)? Anyone think there may actually be openings in peak areas (Robson, Rockwall, Assiniboine) due to many cancellations? I just checked Robson and Rockwall and they are full at the end of August, but it's also not clear how much the reservation system is functioning at all right now....

I suspect there will be a fair number of cancellations on the more internationally known trails (Assinaboine, Berg Lake, etc.). Can't see international travel opening up anytime soon, so many of those will either cancel (or no show)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #94 of (permalink) Old 05-05-2020, 03:32 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Discover Camping is very buggy, but posted Parks Rules are clear: You can't book anything till at least end of May & any reservation already made for that period will be refunded. Rest of season is ? but people are hanging to their reservations because spots for most popular sites fill fast. btw this summer might be great time for these tourist backpacks, because there will be far less people & air will be clear because of reduced traffic. Assuming no wildfires.

Interesting question is wild bivi, out of regulated campsites. Ie Devon Lakes. Right now rules can be interpreted either way because trails are not officially closed. For wild bivi you need park pass and back-country permit; but now you can't get either. Yet You are still allowed to hike in National Parks (assuming non-vehicle access); does that mean you can also wild bivi as well? If Parks don't reopen, I am certain there will be locals roaming the back-country. Will Parks patrol the back-country to issue fines? I seriously doubt there will be rangers hanging at say Clearwater Pass to wait for odd offender.
post #95 of (permalink) Old 05-06-2020, 01:58 PM
Ger
Scaling New Heights

I went up Prairie Mtn. yesterday. I have never seen so many cars parked along the road on a weekday. People were spread out in the area doing various activities. I saw quite a few people on the way up the east ridge and saw no one on the way down the west ridge and out on Prairie Creek. Snow was waist deep near the top of west ridge but trail was packed. Social distancing was being done and it was very easy to do. Do not see a problem with opening the parks as it is a big area and is easy to distance. Some narrow trails could be a problem but if you see someone coming look for a spot to get off the trail where you can give some distance.
post #96 of (permalink) Old 05-06-2020, 03:50 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Thank you for update Ger. Very good to hear despite very busy conditions everybody was following rules. People were caged for awhile and needed to get out!

Let's hope National Parks will follow sometime soon. National Parks are much more complex issue that needs to be coordinated across the country, but looking just at BNP bulk of visitors this year will be from Calgary area anyways & these people are more likely to go to Kananaskis anyways because of proximity. Also same as re-opening of AB Parks takes burden off Calgary city parks, BNP re-opening will take some strain off Kananaskis etc.
post #97 of (permalink) Old 05-06-2020, 08:58 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

May 6, 2020:

BC Provincial Government today announced limited re-opening of Provincial Parks on May 14. For Canadian Rockies it means Mount Robson will re-open on May 14 for day use only.

http://bcparks.ca/explore/parkpgs/mt_robson/

Same is valid for Mt. Assiniboine:

http://bcparks.ca/explore/parkpgs/mt_assiniboine/

There are talks about back-country camping resuming on June 1; if so, it would practically mean no season loss. We'll see what happens, but if this holds it would be really strange you can't even drive to Jasper (as visitor) but are allowed to go camping to Berg Lake.

Last edited by zeljkok; 05-06-2020 at 10:05 PM.
post #98 of (permalink) Old 05-07-2020, 06:05 PM
Scaling New Heights

Received this email from ParkInfo[at]Victoria1.gov. I had made reservations for Berg Lake some months ago:

Quote:
BC Parks is taking a phased approach to safely lift the system closure, focusing initially on opening most day-use parks on May 14, 2020. All campgrounds, camping opportunities and accommodations will remain closed until June 1, 2020.

<snip>

• The Discover Camping website and call centre will be open to accepting new bookings starting on May 25, 2020.

• Most campgrounds will reopen for arrivals starting June 1, 2020; however, some campgrounds may not be ready to safely reopen at that time and some campgrounds may not open all sites for this coming year. Discover Camping will be online to search available campsites by May 25, 2020.
post #99 of (permalink) Old 05-07-2020, 06:15 PM
High on the Mountain Top

The campgrounds will be opening June 1st but the day use shelters on the Berg Lake trail will remain closed for the year, meaning the shelter at Kinney, Whitehorn and the cabin at Berg Lake.

Zeljkok- Anyone can drive through Jasper, you're just not supposed to stop anywhere in the park unless you're a resident or in need of essential service.

Last edited by lobo; 05-07-2020 at 06:17 PM.
post #100 of (permalink) Old 05-07-2020, 06:27 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by lobo View Post

Zeljkok- Anyone can drive through Jasper, you're just not supposed to stop anywhere in the park unless you're a resident or in need of essential service.

I know, I said "as visitor". Same in Banff (although practical reality is something totally different)

This could be very good year for Berg Lake backpack btw
post #101 of (permalink) Old 05-07-2020, 06:40 PM
Scaling New Heights

If the Mt Robson Visitor Center is closed for the year, how would one get a permit for a Berg Lake backpack?
(Probably moot for me at this point, but interested to know.)
post #102 of (permalink) Old 05-07-2020, 06:54 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdBrook View Post
If the Mt Robson Visitor Center is closed for the year, how would one get a permit for a Berg Lake backpack?

Through Discover Camping. If you to Mount Robson Park site

http://bcparks.ca/explore/parkpgs/mt_robson/

scroll a bit, and they talk about "How to make reservations for Berg Lake trail in 2020" (PDF download)
post #103 of (permalink) Old 05-07-2020, 07:17 PM
Scaling New Heights

Thanks - that is to make a reservation. But thereafter one must pick up a physical permit at the Visitors Center and watch a short video.
My reservation packet for Sept 2020 reads:

"All hikers must check in at the Mount Robson Visitor Centre prior to departing on the trail. Staff will review the trail rules and show a mandatory orientation."

Another possibility could be a helicopter flight in to Berg Lake, same-day walk out. (Eh, not so much fun.) But too many moving parts must work perfectly, in my situation chiefly virus infection rate dropping enough to allow border opening. I will almost certainly defer, prudentially.
post #104 of (permalink) Old 05-07-2020, 07:35 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Just print out whatever receipt you get from Discover Camping.
This short video and trail rules is really waste of time, unless you are backcountry camping for the first time in your life; consider it benefit there will be nobody to force you watch it!

Normally, when visitor center is open, after check-in they give you small plastic card with rubber band you are supposed to hang on your tent overnight. (I have mine now hanging off a nail from kitchen wall, lol). You won't get it now so again just make sure you have Discover Camping receipt. There is ranger station at Whitehorn and Rearguard, in odd case they are there and start checking which is highly unlikely.

Having said all that, for someone coming to Mt. Robson for first time, Visitor Center is part of experience so it is a shame it will be closed. But it is what it is. View is quite nice though from the terrace, you can get the same from parking lot

Something to make you look forward to:
martin likes this.
post #105 of (permalink) Old 05-07-2020, 09:32 PM
Summit Master

Interest: I enjoy hiking

zeljkok, that picture is outstanding. I've never paid attention to this area due to it being touristy and I try to avoid touristy areas. After reading a detailed trip report of the area last year, who knows, maybe this year maybe I'll give it a shot if there are reservations available!

Quote:
Another possibility could be a helicopter flight in to Berg Lake
They allow this in a provincial park?

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page