COVID-19 in Canadian Rockies - Page 5 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

34Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #61 of (permalink) Old 04-24-2020, 03:42 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by lobo View Post
I know people who hike to lakes in the park to fish I.E. Amethyst Lake in the Tonquin.

I wonder how would that practically work. Even for Jasper locals. Tonquin is not exactly short day hike + Cavell road is probably gated too. So if you wanted to go fishing @ Amethyst lake you'd have to cycle + overnight, which is to my understanding of the rules not allowed either.

They will have to ease something. Yes virus and flatten the curve is super important, but people are already going nuts -- no restaurants, no movies, nothing. Festivals are getting cancelled, Calgary Stampede called off 1st time in 100 years. Some sort of limited recreation in provincial / national parks should be provided. Canadians are more obedient than Americans that are now doing these protests all over the place, but it is hard to be totally caged in for anyone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of (permalink) Old 04-24-2020, 03:57 PM
High on the Mountain Top

I was just using the Tonquin as an example. There are numerous other lakes and streams that are much more accessible for the fisherman.
The Cavell road usually opens to the public in mid June. It'll be interesting to see if it opens at that time this year. I know parks uses any excuse to keep that area closed, so I doubt that road will open at all this year. I hope that I'm wrong.
post #63 of (permalink) Old 04-24-2020, 04:03 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Oh I see. Yes, I think Cavell road will certainly remain closed.

In this whole Jasper situation btw only thing I don't really understand is total Maligne Road closure incl. bikes & walking within 300m of the road on either side. Vehicle access only IMHO would be enough. It is also much more severe than restrictions in other places, both Jasper and Banff.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of (permalink) Old 04-25-2020, 12:43 AM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Bit of update on 1A east of Canmore. Went cycling this afternoon, with general idea to look at conditions on east slope peaks and parking lot closures. As soon as you get past Elk Run Blvd, right next to speed limit change to 100kph, there is big Alberta Parks sign "Parking and Recreation areas closed to Vehicle traffic. No parking on road side". Further up, Gap Lake is closed as well as Grotto pond. I didn't go as far as Exshaw, but I hear it is not possible to park there either unless you are local resident. Ditto for Alpine Clubhouse in Canmore (Grotto trailhead). So basically unless you are within cycling distance this is off limit too (Calgary, stay home).

Click image for larger version

Name:	gapclose.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	834.7 KB
ID:	275158
[Gap Lake Recreation area closure (similar at Grotto pond)]

Couple of nice images of Gap Lake, looks like springtime is finally coming to Bow Valley. But there are tons of snow & I don't quite remember these kind of conditions for end of April:

Name:	gaplakewide.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	630.2 KB
ID:	275154
[Looking east from Grotto east shoulder; would be quite nice but that Baymag plant is definitely a scar]

Name:	gaplaketrain.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	578.1 KB
ID:	275156
[CP train passing on other side of Gap lake; Pigeon mtn right, and McGillivray left]
post #65 of (permalink) Old 04-26-2020, 01:05 PM
High on the Mountain Top

I drove down to Whitehorse Creek this morning and it appears that people are just driving over and around barricades. That will like piss off Parks and they'll get more serious barricades up. People can be so stupid. Some early morning shots.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	TJV_2593.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	441.5 KB
ID:	275162  

Name:	TJV_2611.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	718.7 KB
ID:	275164  

post #66 of (permalink) Old 04-26-2020, 03:53 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Quote:
it appears that people are just driving over and around barricades. That will like piss off Parks and they'll get more serious barricades up. People can be so stupid.

I agree. But it is not so simple. Last evening, I was at Save on Foods for grocery & they just kicked us out, without explanation. Then on street RCMP cars going like crazy. Later on, and it was reported on global, false alarm -- "shooter with long gun". Basically someone pulled a prank, and whole social media, as stupid as it is, caught on fire.

The longer this lockdown goes, the worse it is going to get. People are irritated. You can't sit at home whole day with nothing to do. IMHO parks closure was not the right move. You need to give people avenue to vent out. Keep front-country camping closed but open vehicle access & back-country. Patrol and issue heavy fines for transgressions. Right now they man Spray road gate just above Canmore; 2 cars sitting there all day doing nothing. Instead they could just drive up and down Spray road couple of times to see people are properly distancing, etc.
post #67 of (permalink) Old 04-28-2020, 09:48 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Default Accessible Hikes in Kananaskis country?

Hey guys, new to the forum, looks great. I’m just curious to know if anybody could recommend any hikes in Kananaskis country that are accessible. I mean, obviously, a lot of the gates allowing entry to parks and trails are shut/locked due to Covid. Like all of us, I’m sure you’re going near crazy with cabin fever 🤪. Could any of you kind souls recommend any hikes in or around K country where the trailhead is accessible? Any additional info on the hike(s) would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance; happy treading ��.
post #68 of (permalink) Old 04-28-2020, 10:01 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pathlesstravelled View Post
I’m just curious to know if anybody could recommend any hikes in Kananaskis country that are accessible. I mean, obviously, a lot of the gates allowing entry to parks and trails are shut/locked due to Covid.

If you read this thread from the beginning, it will give you some ideas. Basically Hwy40 (Kananaskis Trail) is gated jut before Barrier Lake and Spray Road is gated just above Canmore. Parking lots are also shut down along 1A, and RCMP is patrolling regularly. Although trails are open, this restriction leaves only cycling as means of transportation if you want to hike in provincial parks. For someone living in Calgary this is not very practical. Crown land might still be ok; check the map

https://albertaparks.ca/albertaparks...-a-campground/

(zoom in) to see what falls outside provincial parks/recreation areas; Ghost might be ok, but I have no knowledge about parking.
post #69 of (permalink) Old 04-30-2020, 03:23 PM
High on the Mountain Top

So I just arrived at Whitehorse Creek Provincial Park to do some hiking and was met by four Peace officer trucks I asked if I could park at the barricade along the roadside and he said sure, no problem. He also said the they are just looking for vehicles driving around the barricades and to make sure people are social distancing. So that is great news for me as I was worried about getting ticketed for parking at the barricade.
zeljkok likes this.
post #70 of (permalink) Old 04-30-2020, 10:15 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Apr 30:

Alberta government has today announced phased re-opening of services, including access to Provincial Parks! Quote taken from here

Quote:
Access to provincial parks and public lands will be re-opened using a phased approach, beginning with:
  • Vehicle access to parking lots and staging areas in parks and on public lands will be opening on May 1.
  • A number of boat launches in provincial parks will be opening on May 1 and working to have them all open by May 14.
  • Aiming to make campsites available as soon as possible, with the goal to have as many open as possible by June 1. At this time, sites are open to Albertans only.
  • Group and comfort camping will not be offered.
  • Campground facility access restrictions to areas such as showers, picnic and cooking shelters will also be posted to albertaparks.ca.
  • Alberta Parks’ online reservation system will be available May 14 to book site visits beginning June 1. Out-of-province bookings will not be processed.
  • No washrooms or garbage pickup will be available within provincial parks at this time.
  • Fire bans in parks, protected areas and the Forest Protection Area remain in place.
  • Private and municipal campgrounds and parks can open with physical distancing restrictions, under their own local authority.
  • Golf courses can open on May 4, with restrictions including keeping clubhouses and pro shops closed.

I'd be surprised if National Parks don't follow sometime in June
post #71 of (permalink) Old 04-30-2020, 10:31 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Jasper National Park is set to open May 31. This, of course, could change. There will still be restrictions in place but Iím hoping that backpacking will be allowed.
post #72 of (permalink) Old 05-01-2020, 02:13 AM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Quote:
Jasper National Park is set to open May 31. This, of course, could change. There will still be restrictions in place but Iím hoping that backpacking will be allowed.

Where did you get this from Dieter? Do you know if National Parks re-opening is centrally synchronized, or superintendents are allowed to do as they see fit independently (i.e. Jasper open, Banff not etc)
post #73 of (permalink) Old 05-01-2020, 02:43 AM
High on the Mountain Top

The last JNP community report Of April 24th stated things will remain closed to at least the 31st of May. But since the 24th the talk is that restrictions will start to ease up on May 31. The hotel I work for is preparing to open on June 1st. There is only one remaining comic case in Jasper and Yellowhead County has gone a few weeks with no new cases. Unless there is a Cargill style issue up here, I think it’ll start opening up then, especially with Alberta easing restrictions. Alberta parks want people out enjoying the May long weekend and Jasper wants to keep people out of the park for the long weekend.
post #74 of (permalink) Old 05-02-2020, 10:48 PM
Headed for the Mountains

We were at Abraham Lake the last three days - when you see how people are parking in the ditch besides the usual official parking you can question these rules... when we started our hike to Allstones Lake (almost) everything had a barrier. When we came down, all these barriers were lying in the ditch. ;-) We weren't sure whether Albertans had taken matters into their own hands - (we camped I would say 95% legal, approx. 888m after Allstones Lake parking area, the main road to the usual camping area was closed, but not the second one... walking distance to the trailhead 1 km for sure!)
All these police officers could try to organize popular trailheads - by the way I don't think the majority of people behaves so bad. You only have to check what kind of groups are hiking...

Last edited by Kokanee75; 05-02-2020 at 11:03 PM.
post #75 of (permalink) Old 05-03-2020, 12:39 AM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokanee75 View Post
I don't think the majority of people behaves so bad. You only have to check what kind of groups are hiking...

Right. 95% of people will be responsible, but it is that 5% that doesn't care for anything but themselves. This is the true generally in life; majority usually pays the price for careless minority. I was always fan of strict fines; once you hit them heavy to the pocket, it also sends message to others.
kellymcdonald78 likes this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page