COVID-19 in Canadian Rockies - Page 3 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

34Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of (permalink) Old 04-07-2020, 01:08 AM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Fantastic set of photos lobo! These AB parks signs are now everywhere. In Canmore there are 2 Parks vehicles parked 100m past Quarry Lake, where last residential turnoff is & road is gated:
Click image for larger version

Name:	nordicovid2.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	443.2 KB
ID:	274538

Walking on the road past this barrier towards Nordic center feels like hiking & I've seen few bicycles too. I am quite sure Spray Road is gated on the other side (K-lakes) too, so bicycle seems to be only allowed access to places like Sparrowhawk, Chester, Burstall etc for foreseeable future.

Nordic center is open for recreation though, with COVID signs posted everywhere. There were some locals x-country skiing; regarding the barrier below they were either driven by someone & then walked 10 min up the road, or maybe hiked all the way from city:

Name:	nordicovid1.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	370.0 KB
ID:	274540

I am seeing quite a few people on skis along Bow River by the way. Day was quite beautiful and warm, felt a bit like spring. Here is shot from Engine bridge towards Sisters & there were people recreating, but everyone keeping distance.

Name:	engineview.jpg
Size:	664.3 KB
ID:	274534

Finally, anyone that's been to Canmore has seen statue head on Main street by Drake, opposite Spring Creek turnoff. Its kinda landmark. Well, it has a new look now:

Name:	canmoremask2.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	524.5 KB
ID:	274536

I had to chuckle & thought it was quite appropriate. I am told btw there are now 11 confirmed COVID cases in Canmore, don't know about Banff.
KARVITK likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of (permalink) Old 04-07-2020, 01:45 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Nice set of pictures, Zeljkok. I like the statue pic, made me chuckle. Still need to chuckle once in a while. I drove down to Athabasca Falls two days ago, more to see if they’ve closed the parking lot than to see the falls as I’ve seen the falls a hundred times. Everything was open and there was only one car in the lot, but I was there at 5:00 pm, so no idea how busy it was earlier. There were lots of people on the parkway on bikes and walking and there even were a few motorcycles out. Valley of the five had two cars. Everyone I saw were distancing, so that was encouraging. Yesterday I drove over the border to Mt. Robson P.P. and turned into a trailhead and there were no signs at all from BC parks. I didn’t go as far as Robson, so I’m not sure if the Berg Lake trail is barricaded. We just have to hope and pray that this virus will be under control by the May Long weekend as I have a backpacking trip planned. I do have a plan B that will work, unless they completely close all travel. I really need to get out on a real trail to test out my new hip.
There are five cases in Jasper and there were three in Hinton with one recovered.

Last edited by lobo; 04-07-2020 at 01:46 AM. Reason: Correction
post #33 of (permalink) Old 04-07-2020, 02:34 AM Thread Starter
Summit Master

I am quite certain this closure will be well past May long weekend. Even if new cases would magically drop to zero by then, there are probably many more infections that are simply not reported. Its for the better to keep everything closed I think; you know how campgrounds tend to look like on long weekends. I'd not be surprised there is already some sort of decision on the table "We lift closure 30 days after last reported new case". On a positive note it seems Europe is starting to improve and Canada curve is starting to "flatten" too. US has it the worse by far. Keep fingers crossed (and keep social distancing)

Hope new hip is good! As you said, there are foothills and plans B. I intend to spend lots of time exploring local places I haven't been to, and also cycle a lot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of (permalink) Old 04-07-2020, 03:26 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

An interesting article I want to share: Warmer days are coming & before you know it there will be mosquitoes around. Everyone gets bitten at some point during the summer. Can mozzies spread the virus?

https://www.cbc.ca/news/mosquitoes-c...ered-1.5523773
post #35 of (permalink) Old 04-08-2020, 12:28 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: Hiking, Backpacking, Skiing, Space History

Kenny's update on the overall forecast yesterday indicated that they may be able to start lifting restrictions by end of May. That likely means May long weekend is out, but that we haven't lost the summer yet. I'm planning to hike the GDT starting June 27, crossing my fingers that it will be possible by then.
post #36 of (permalink) Old 04-08-2020, 01:15 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Don't know about you guys but I don't put much faith in forecasts, models, and predictions. Too many variables etc... Especially if coming from Kenney! (haha kidding...) But we can hope and do our part and just wait and see.

I'm curious though Zelj and Lobo where you're getting your numbers of confirmed cases from in your communities? That type of info is hard to find.
post #37 of (permalink) Old 04-08-2020, 02:22 PM
High on the Mountain Top

I'm getting the numbers off of the Alberta Health page. The link is COVID19stats.alberta.ca . Find the link that says geospacial and then scroll down to the map. Expand the map to the part of Alberta where you live and the info is broken down. Not sure if that works for cities.
In Jasper right now, as of April 8th, there are 7 cases, 5 active, 1 recovered and 1 death.
In Yellowhead county which is a big county, there are 3 cases, 2 active and 1 recovered. The last time I checked it had this number for Hinton, but now it says Yellowhead county.

Last edited by lobo; 04-08-2020 at 02:57 PM.
post #38 of (permalink) Old 04-08-2020, 03:13 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

It is best to leave political leader debate out... In photography forum I watched innocent thread about what people are shooting in times like this shifting to Trump and deteriorate so badly admins had to shut it down.

Interesting projection is mid-May peak in AB; that eliminates May long 1000%. Provincial and national parks will probably lift restrictions together, or very close apart. But not anytime soon. Canada Day? Slim chance. Labour Day? 50-50. It all depends on "flatten the curve". I agree about models and stats in general; there are just too many variables and unknowns. In addition, how much can you really believe what you read or hear. Does anyone think numbers coming out of China now are real? There are opinions coming out of California medical doctors how everyone will get infected given enough time & real intent of distancing efforts is not to saturate healthcare facilities beyond capacity (what you have in NYC now for instance). Etc etc... it all leads to guessing and madness. Sharing facts about Mountain Parks is better topic for us in this forum.

(Re Canmore numbers: There was Alberta Health link on Bow Valley social media group, same one lobo is referring too. I also heard it from someone who has a wife working in local hospital)
post #39 of (permalink) Old 04-08-2020, 09:15 PM
Scaling New Heights

Interest: Hiking, backpacking, kayaking

Likely most on this forum already know: all BC provincial parks were closed today (April 8, 2020):
https://vancouverisland.ctvnews.ca/b...d-19-1.4888119

Quote:
BC Parks is also extending the ban on all camping in provincial parks until May 31, 2020, in alignment with neighbouring jurisdictions and the temporary closure of Canada's national parks.
I am hoping for an opening by Labour Day, when my reservation starts. But am not too optimistic; this thing has legs, and could sprout more.
post #40 of (permalink) Old 04-09-2020, 12:57 AM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdBrook View Post
Likely most on this forum already know: all BC provincial parks were closed today (April 8, 2020):
https://vancouverisland.ctvnews.ca/b...d-19-1.4888119

I am hoping for an opening by Labour Day, when my reservation starts. But am not too optimistic; this thing has legs, and could sprout more.

Yes; it was reported in BC Forum, mirror to this one:

https://forums.clubtread.com/8-briti...mountains.html

It was done because of coming long weekend. Totally agreed, this thing is very serious & got jets, not ordinary legs
post #41 of (permalink) Old 04-09-2020, 02:05 AM Thread Starter
Summit Master

This is good site to track covid-19 cases in AB:

http://covid19stats.alberta.ca

Click on geospatial, then at bottom there is map. According to this right now (Apr 8) there has been 7 reported cases in Jasper municipality, 5 active 1 recovered 1 dead. Banff has 3 reported, 3 active, 0 dead.
post #42 of (permalink) Old 04-10-2020, 01:02 AM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Here's closer look at first part of Spray Road. Now AB Parks vehicle is parked daily above Quarry Lake & won't let anyone pass, except for Rundle Forebay crew. There are fresh signs on both sides of the road all the way down to Three Sisters junction about no parking on the shoulder. (Quarry Parking lot is still open, and that is for locals that bring their dogs for a walk. Could easily close depending on situation after first sunny weekend)

This opens whole new set of variables. There are locals cycling, jogging or just walking on the road past the barrier, like it is hiking trail. Everyone respecting social distancing rules, and that holds true just about everywhere in town

Name:	bikenordic.jpg
Size:	631.0 KB
ID:	274554

I took my bike (above pic was taken while cycling, no I didn't flip) and decided to cycle up to Whiteman Gap and over to Goat Creek / Ha Ling trailhead. I was curious if I will find anyone parked there; that parking lot is constantly busy throughout the year. This pic speaks for itself:

Name:	emptygoat.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	752.6 KB
ID:	274552

Finally, in ~30 yrs that I've been in Rockies, this day was one of clearest I have seen. Think all no driving is making an impact even here (and there are reports about things drastic improvements in Asia, and Himalayas visible again from India). I really really hope once this horrible pandemic is behind, between all other changes that will descend to our daily lives, better care for environment will be included. Here's beautiful shot of Princess Margaret, taken on near Nordic Center on return

Name:	princessmargaret.jpg
Size:	1.22 MB
ID:	274550
post #43 of (permalink) Old 04-11-2020, 02:44 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Something for the giggle; these are unprecedented times, congrats to owner for originality. Yes we are all in this together

Name:	covidcar2.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	1.14 MB
ID:	274590

Name:	covidcar1.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	1.08 MB
ID:	274588

Happy Easter everyone and be safe out there!
martin likes this.
post #44 of (permalink) Old 04-11-2020, 09:18 PM
Summit Master

Interest: I enjoy hiking

I like the paint job!
post #45 of (permalink) Old 04-14-2020, 04:44 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

This is pano of Canmore Nordic centre, on Easter Day '20. Before this pandemic on sunny day like this there would be upward of 100 people at least, now deserted eerie feeling.

Name:	nordicpano.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	550.0 KB
ID:	274646

There was a guy with fat mountain bike that zoomed by little later on, and I also met lady packing her skis and getting ready for downhill bike ride to town. Air really really clear, no drive can be felt even in Rockies that are usually quite clean.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page