COVID-19 in Canadian Rockies - Page 10 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

34Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #136 of (permalink) Old 06-18-2020, 03:17 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Thanks for update lobo. There still won't be showers in front-country campgrounds i.e. Wapiti near Jasper for the time being. Good news yes, but it will be interesting to see how Edmonton crowds behave when they descend on Jasper for July 1 long
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #137 of (permalink) Old 06-18-2020, 04:23 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Ya, I don't care about front country as this is a hiking site. Another thing of note, there is now a Superintendent's restricted order in Jasper requiring people to stay in their vehicles when encountering wildlife. This was brought in because of the crazy amount of wildlife around the park roadways. This is not restricted to bears only, its all wildlife. There is a maximum fine of $25,000 if caught. The order is in effect until at least July 9th.

We don't have to wait for the July long weekend as the masses have already descended upon us, mostly on weekends for now.
post #138 of (permalink) Old 06-18-2020, 04:33 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by lobo View Post
Ya, I don't care about front country as this is a hiking site. Another thing of note, there is now a Superintendent's restricted order in Jasper requiring people to stay in their vehicles when encountering wildlife. This was brought in because of the crazy amount of wildlife around the park roadways. This is not restricted to bears only, its all wildlife. There is a maximum fine of $25,000 if caught. The order is in effect until at least July 9th.

I heard that too. Will be interesting if and how it will be enforced. You know, bighorn sheep decided to cross the road by Talbot lake & piles of vehicles everywhere & people with cell phones start coming out.

Front-country is still important for hiking. When I come to Jasper I won't shell out 100+ CAD/night for some hotel/motel. I often stay @Wapiti for 5-6 nights, go hiking for a day, come back & it is good to have a shower before hitting the sleeping bag. It is actually quite nice if you can talk them into giving you quiet pad by Athabasca.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #139 of (permalink) Old 06-18-2020, 10:08 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

On a wildlife related note: Rare white grizzly, named 'Nakoda' has been making headlines for quite awhile in BNP. Now parks have designated a 10km no stopping zone to protect animal from ppl that were getting too close

https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/mobile/pa...x80H_LMBTM0qMc

Bear is not albino, but unusual natural color variation
post #140 of (permalink) Old 07-12-2020, 03:03 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

July 12, 2020

Alberta Parks have closed Mt. Yamnuska area, quoting overwhelming of rescue services in Kananaskis
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-07-12 at 12.56.17 PM.png
Views:	14
Size:	534.2 KB
ID:	277834

This is direct result of several incidents that occurred in the area on Sat 11th, including one that resulted in fatality. See https://globalnews.ca/news/7167261/c...-hiking-death/
post #141 of (permalink) Old 08-07-2020, 02:57 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

August 7, 2020

City of Canmore has now made mandatory mask or face covering in public indoor places a bylaw

https://canmore.ca/covid-19/coronavi...ory-mask-bylaw

We get lots of visitors specially on weekend & if you plan on coming please obey this; it is for everyone safety
post #142 of (permalink) Old 08-07-2020, 07:10 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeljkok View Post
August 7, 2020

City of Canmore has now made mandatory mask or face covering in public indoor places a bylaw

https://canmore.ca/covid-19/coronavi...ory-mask-bylaw

We get lots of visitors specially on weekend & if you plan on coming please obey this; it is for everyone safety
The town of Jasper has done the same

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page