Lower Altitude Day or Multi-Day Hikes in Late June - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-02-2020, 12:04 PM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Interest: Hiking, Biking, Canoeing, Kayaking, Nature, Baking, Food, Wine, Sitcoms, Sports, Music
Default Lower Altitude Day or Multi-Day Hikes in Late June

Hi all,

I'd previously posted my itinerary for The Rockwall in late June but after much consideration and constructive discouragement from other trekkers I've decided to altogether cancel that. Too much risk of knee-high snow (snowshoes required), major snow on the passes (risk of avalanches), and having to navigate around avalanche debris, snow bridges, and other potential hindrances/obstacles.

Instead I'm looking into lower altitude alternatives for a 3-4 day multi-day hike in the Banff/LL/Canmore area or nearby as well as some suggestions for day hikes that are less likely to have an abundance of snow/ice that early in the season. Got a few hikes I was looking at for a little later in the trip, July 8th - 10th, likely mostly heavily tramped. Here's the list:

• Saddleback Pass to Mount Fairview Summit
  • Plain of Six Glaciers
  • The Beehive
  • Devil's Thumb
  • Wenkchemna Pass Trail
  • Sentinel Pass via Larch Valley Trail
  • C Level Cirque Trail
  • Citadel Pass
  • Healy Pass
  • Johnston Canyon to Inkpots (something simple)
  • Mount Rundle Summit Trail

Just briefly researching multi-days with a bit less altitude gain at lower altitudes and was considering Mount Skoki or Lake Minnewanka. However, upon reading further both are prime female grizzly territory where you're required to hike in groups of 4. Basically rules both of those out as I'm currently a group of ... 1.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much and my apologies for the previous post.

Last edited by Zivs; 02-02-2020 at 01:27 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-03-2020, 07:56 AM
Scaling New Heights

Those all look like good hikes, I did a few of them this past summer (you can see my descriptions/pictures from here: https://alocalminimum.wordpress.com/...15/banff-trip/).

Since it is early in the season and it's difficult to know what the conditions are I suggest making a list of 2-3 times more hikes than you have time to do (but would be happy to do) and then when you get there you can choose from the list based on weather and trail conditions (the park information centers should be able to give you info on current conditions when you arrive).

I'm not sure about the enforcement on the groups of 4, maybe others on here know better? We went on a couple hikes that said only in groups of 4 with just 2.5, and most of the people/groups we saw were also smaller than 4. There's a report here of someone who did Skoki in early July if you want to see wha tthe conditions were like last year: https://www.alltrails.com/trail/cana...ain-loop-trail
These CT thread also discusses early season hikes: https://forums.clubtread.com/31-albe...g-worries.html, https://forums.clubtread.com/31-albe...ing-trips.html, https://forums.clubtread.com/31-albe...ckpacking.html,
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-06-2020, 10:26 AM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Interest: Hiking, Biking, Canoeing, Kayaking, Nature, Baking, Food, Wine, Sitcoms, Sports, Music

Hey,

thanks a bunch for the response. Checked out a few of those threads and it seems like Skoki is good, Glacier Lake is also good, and The Rockwall is definitely not ideal. Appreciate the link to your blog, nice pictures .

I'll aim to do a multi-day hike specifically Skoki, Glacier Lake, or Sunshine to Assiniboine (top pick) and if not will have some contingencies available to me. Being that I'm from Ontario and our Spring arrives fairly early, I just didn't think to push my trip back a bit further and of course once you start getting into Mid July - August that's when the crowds start showing up in the Rockies to enjoy that warm, dry summer weather.

As for the enforcement, I think it's one of those rules that are in place to protect hikers but might not necessarily be aggressively enforced. They're likely just trying to discourage individuals from doing these treks solo in the event that you run into an aggressive male or female with cubs and you're solo. There's strength and intimidation in numbers especially when you're dealing with a several hundred pound carnivore that's just waking up after hibernating. Stands to reason, most bears aren't naturally aggressive towards humans but there are those exceptions and of course when you're with others you're likely conversing thus making noise to reduce the potential of spooking them. Sounds like I need to get some friends that are into hiking hehe.

Cheers,
Zivs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page