GPS track for Six Passes route - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-25-2019, 09:57 PM Thread Starter
Scaling New Heights

Default GPS track for Six Passes route

I've been intrigued looking at the Six Passes route that parallels the decommissioned Malign Pass trail in Jasper NP. (I would be hiking, not skiing.)

I haven't yet seen a detailed GPS track. The waypoints on bivouac.com (for example) appear insufficient to effectively navigate an indistinct route that is mostly about treeline.

Can anyone point to a detailed track? Thanks for any info!

Scott Meadows
[email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-26-2019, 03:35 PM
Summit Master

This Forum is probably not likely place to find such info anymore. For what it's worth, here's an interesting report:

http://www.greatdividetrail.com/tale...ternate-route/

If you read through, they mention they used GPS for navigation via "GDT App" installed on their phones. I don't have this app, but quick look here:

http://www.greatdividetrail.com/trip...urces/gdt-app/

Reveals basic app is free, while payload (i.e. GPS tracks) are available as in-app purchase. Might be worth looking into. I have been to "First Pass" via Poboktan - Maligne Pass; don't have GPS track, but this portion is more than obvious & no GPS is needed.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-27-2019, 10:55 PM Thread Starter
Scaling New Heights

It seems like an interesting app. I had viewed the trip report that you mentioned, and just downloaded the app and paid $4.99 for the relevant segment of the GDT. It seems interesting, but I'm pretty leery about counting on a phone for navigation. My phone is a battery hog when GPS is active. I suppose it's necessary to bring a solar charger or similar. And my phone is WAY more fragile than my trusty eTrex 30x.

Scott Meadows
[email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-28-2019, 12:29 AM
Summit Master

I also favor my Garmin standalone, but times have changed and these smartphones are modern Swiss Army knives (camera, all sort of apps, etc). Power is issue, but one can get power bank good for min 2 full recharges which is equivalent to carrying spare batteries for GPS.

That would be outstanding 1-way backpack, Poboktan to Jasper via Maligne Pass - Six Passes - Skyline, most of it in the Alpine. Way better than South Boundary etc.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-29-2019, 03:54 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: Hiking, Backpacking, Skiing, Space History

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeljkok View Post

If you read through, they mention they used GPS for navigation via "GDT App" installed on their phones. I don't have this app, but quick look here:

http://www.greatdividetrail.com/trip...urces/gdt-app/

Reveals basic app is free, while payload (i.e. GPS tracks) are available as in-app purchase. Might be worth looking into. I have been to "First Pass" via Poboktan - Maligne Pass; don't have GPS track, but this portion is more than obvious & no GPS is needed.

Apparently a new app is being developed by River Taig and Dan Durston to come out next year

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page